Can we neglect (exclude) the ISO 9001 Calibration clause?

B

blue moon

Dear Friends

i have a factory

they produce metal doors for shops and crage , only cuting the metal sheet and then weld them by pressure role

they only use a metal meter for measurement the dimension of doors inprocess / finla production

they didn't make any claibration and they said that they havn't any tools to calibrate

is it ok , or they have a problem

please advice

thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: can we neglect calibration clause

How can you tell your welding machines are functioning at the optimal level for the sheetmetal, especially at various thicknesses?

B

blue moon

no thickness needed

it have air prusser pump which make the punish on the metal , it is not clear welding

put pressing the metal

the machine have only a meter for measure the pressure , the vlaue must be in the range of 20 - 30 Kpa and this is maintain

by follow up the reading of meter every one metal welded with another

Randy

Super Moderator

no thickness needed

it have air prusser pump which make the punish on the metal , it is not clear welding

put pressing the metal

the machine have only a meter for measure the pressure , the vlaue must be in the range of 20 - 30 Kpa and this is maintain

by follow up the reading of meter every one metal welded with another
You answered your own question...You have a meter and it's related to process and product so therefore you must calibrate it and maintain records no matter what your people say.

Re: Can we neglect the calibration clause?

and presumably the overall dimensions of these door are not important? They fit any hole in a wall? So the cut off size of the blanks of steel which are then bent and welded together don't have to be accurate to obtain the finished size?

You can't neglect calibration. You need to make an inventory of all measurements which affect product conformity to specification - even if it's a sketch on a napkin - and process control, like welding current gas pressure etc.

Then you can decide what might need to be calibrated and what might simply be verified against a standard.

You answered your own question...You have a meter and it's related to process and product so therefore you must calibrate it and maintain records no matter what your people say.
If I may, let me pounce (okay, maybe not pounce) on your answer a bit, Randy.

The standard says "where necessary to ensure valid results". So, you have a meter (any measuring device) that is used in a process. There is one of two possibilities. 1) the device is not used in a manner that requires valid results. Okay, then why use it? I don't know why, but there may be cases out there where folks have devices related to a process and/or product that may not be used in a manner that requires calibration or verification. The other side; 2) the measurements from the device is important. Calibration (verification) is required.

I personally do not like to see gages that are not verified (much in the same way documents that are not controlled ie "for reference only". Even if the devices do not need verification, then there is an issue. If some gages need calibration, and some don't, it is very easy to create confusion. And human nature, being what it is, employees won't take the time to find out if the gage that is closest to them is calibrated or not (or needs to be). I know, calibrating every gage can be expensive, but so can using uncalibrated gages because they were more handy than finding calibrated ones.

BradM

Leader
Admin

If I may, let me pounce (okay, maybe not pounce) on your answer a bit, Randy.

The standard says "where necessary to ensure valid results". So, you have a meter (any measuring device) that is used in a process. There is one of two possibilities. 1) the device is not used in a manner that requires valid results. Okay, then why use it? I don't know why, but there may be cases out there where folks have devices related to a process and/or product that may not be used in a manner that requires calibration or verification. The other side; 2) the measurements from the device is important. Calibration (verification) is required.

I personally do not like to see gages that are not verified (much in the same way documents that are not controlled ie "for reference only". Even if the devices do not need verification, then there is an issue. If some gages need calibration, and some don't, it is very easy to create confusion. And human nature, being what it is, employees won't take the time to find out if the gage that is closest to them is calibrated or not (or needs to be). I know, calibrating every gage can be expensive, but so can using uncalibrated gages because they were more handy than finding calibrated ones.
I don't know.:) It seems to be that your very valid second paragraph answered your #1 point above.:D:agree1:

FWIW... I think the tech4arab's instruments need some level of verification. Take the 20-30kpa given, and say you have a 0-100 kpa gauge. What about if the gauge is off.... 5 kpa? Would it make a difference?

What about 10 kpa? 20? 50 kpa? Would it ever make a difference? Could anything be affected? If the answer is yes, then it's valid, and it should be checked.

If you could essentially throw an instrument away and not affect your process, then it's truly reference only. If it would affect the process in any way, or is needed to verify some process specification (must be between 20-30kpa) then it should have some level of verification done on it.
:2cents:

S

sixsigmais

Re: Can we neglect the ISO 9001 Calibration clause?

Yes, it can be excluded. However, in your case, you mentioned that the dimension of doors inspection duing inprocess or final production, mean it can be critical dimension. I not sure about it since i dont know the customer specification. It depend to how critical the demension on this product.

If the dimension is critical, or you are using caliper to measure it, then you need go for calibration. however, as you mentioned that only metal meter are used, then what you need is verification to ensure the metal meter is in good condition, else it can be NC too.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yes, it can be excluded. However, in your case, you mentioned that the dimension of doors inspection duing inprocess or final production, mean it can be critical dimension. I not sure about it since i dont know the customer specification. It depend to how critical the demension on this product.
The door has to be measured with something...it does have to fit in the doorframe doesn't it? Your advice isn't within 6 sigma in this case

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Neglect or legitimate deferral? Is excessive workload or lack of resources in a department or a team a valid root cause for a non-conformance? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
B How to exclude empty rows in full factorial design analysis? Using Minitab Software 0
A What To Clauses Exclude - AS9100D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
qualprod ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.3 - Is it possible to exclude one product but include it in other? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
a_bardi Is it possible to exclude internal audit from qms scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Not Design Responsible - Can we exclude all or parts of AS9100 clause 8.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
D Can we exclude purchasing and supplier evaluation - ISO9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
I Can we exclude 7.3 Clause of TS 16949 Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
S Can we exclude our subsidiary company from our ISO 9001 certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
S PFMEA Assumption to Exclude Latent Failures FMEA and Control Plans 6
Q Can we exclude design if we do not physically design our product? 7.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
armani Developing Technology and Equipment to Manufacture Clients Product - Can exclude 7.3? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Fender1 Management Wants to Exclude a Customer Product Line from Registration Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N To Exclude Or Not - ISO 13485 7.5.3.2.2 and 8.2.4.2 - Plastic Pellets ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
E Is it Possible to Exclude Top Management (CEO, Chairman) in the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.5 Preservation of Product - Apply or exclude? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
H Planning of Product Realization - AS9100 Clause 7.1 - Can we exclude 7.1f? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Design Review: Can I exclude Custom Products ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Can this Contract Manufacturer exclude Clause 7.3? Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Can I exclude Customer Property? ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
G Can a testing laboratory exclude section 7.3 of ISO 9001? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
P Which aspects of section 7 can I justifiably exclude? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Can I exclude 7.5.1 & 7.5.2 (Control of Production & Validation) from our QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Can I exclude Service even though we do some service? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
N Scope of Certification - Can we exclude Distribution? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Z Can we Exclude the Validation of Process Clause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Contract Review Question - China manufacturing site to exclude 7.2.2? Contract Review Process 6
L Can you exclude ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 completely from QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
L Audit Nonconformance - NCR because we exclude Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Can we Exclude Design and Development clause in ?Industrial Design? Company? Design and Development of Products and Processes 12
J New TL 9000 Released - Can Exclude more than Clause 7 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
Casana Auditor changing ISO 9001 AUDIT scope midstream - Cannot exclude all of 7.3 anymore General Auditing Discussions 26
I AS9100 - Would like to know if I can exclude the design Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
Q In ISO 9001:2000 Can We Exclude Some Customers and Products from our registration? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
D Design of Services - Can a Heat Treating service exclude parts of 7.3? Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
J Can We Exclude ISO9000:2000 Clause 7.3.7 (Control Of Design And Development Changes)? Design and Development of Products and Processes 7
C Service - Must we exclude in the Scope? Service Industry Specific Topics 5
B My company makes product to order - Are we design responsible? Exclude 7.3? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
K Applicable ISO 9001 clauses for Human Resources? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Clinical Trial using Prototype devices (EU MDR & ISO 14155) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
I IEC 60812 or ISO 14971 for PFMEA? What should we use? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
I ISO 9000 Where to Start ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
M ISO 13485 consultants and auditors with design oriented focus ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Check Sheet ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
H Does ISO state in anyway that we MUST keep physical first piece parts? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B ISO cl. 5.3 - Ensuring that the integrity of the QMS is maintained ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A ISO 9001- any advise please with transitioning from a paper based system to eQMS and multi site scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L ISO 20417 crucial changes Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R ISO 27001 Mandatory Policies , Procedures and Records IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
R Use of historical version of ISO standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3