Can You Reject an Auditor?

Robert Stanley

Starting to get Involved
Hello fello nerds,
My last auditor was a jerk and I don't want him to audit us again. Background: certification body is Intertek; certification is ISO 9001:2015; we make machines for pharmaceutical processing. Am I able to prevent him from coming back? Do I have any say over who my auditor is?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Hello fello nerds,
My last auditor was a jerk and I don't want him to audit us again. Background: certification body is Intertek; certification is ISO 9001:2015; we make machines for pharmaceutical processing. Am I able to prevent him from coming back? Do I have any say over who my auditor is?
Good day @Robert Stanley;
If your auditor is simply writing valid nonconformities, with reference to the rule and your organization's gap to that rule, then they are simply doing their job.

If, however, the auditor is...
1- unprofessional
2- argumentative/antagonistic
3- "consulting"
4- writing unsubstantiated nonconformities (based on auditor opinion and not directly violations of a specified/noted requirement of the standard),

...then yes, your organization can and should file an objective appeal with your certification body. All certification bodies have a method established to do so.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hello fello nerds,
Answer is 100% YES at any time during the audit you can say "LEAVE"!!!! And then contact their customer service saying why. If the CB doesn't like your reasoning or decision tell them you want to transfer the certificate to another CB, they'll probably stop sucking eggs at that comment.

Hello fello nerds,
You have already experienced him. Usually, the CB's will have a feedback mechanism trigerred after the audit. You can express your comments here, and mention that you would not want him in your next audit cycles. When the time comes for the next audit, you can ask to find out who the auditors will be and even request their CV if you wish to look into...

Robert Stanley

Starting to get Involved
Thaks for the info fellas. The guy didn't give us any findings, which is nice but he was very antagonistic. He argued with me about everything; complained about the coffee; complained about lunch. He would do these little power-plays. For example, when I pushed back about something, he would say, "let's get your boss in here and see what he thinks" and then ignore me and talk to the boss. My boss kissed his ass but he didn't need to. We hadn't done anything violating the standard. At one point he tried to play some weird mindgame with me. He asked for a diet coke so I got him one. He opens it (I clearly hear the fizz sound), takes a sip and puts it down saying, "it's flat. you got another one?" So I grab him another one. He pops the top (fizz sound), takes a sip and says, "this ones flat too" and then just stares at me in silence. He leaves them both on the table when he leaves so I go pour them out in the sink. Bubbles everywhere. I still don't get what he was trying to do with that.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I still don't get what he was trying to do with that.
Believe it or not, I know for a fact that some auditors would misbehave on purpose, in the hope that the organization would ask the CB not to send them back, ever again.

The rationale for that is the fact that registrant assignment was “inconvenient” for the auditor; eg long trip, bad location, etc…. If the auditor is a full time employee and gets paid, irrespective if he is auditing or not and has some in-demand credentials, he knows he won’t be fired and he can always claim it was you, the client who was having a bad day.

Nevertheless, you absolutely have the right to request another auditor to be assigned to your future audits and the CB should welcome your feedback. Undergoing an external audit already brings a level of stress in itself. Having to deal with a jerk does not help.

Randy

Super Moderator
Believe it or not, I know for a fact that some auditors would misbehave on purpose, in the hope that the organization would ask the CB not to send them back, ever again.

The rationale for that is the fact that registrant assignment was “inconvenient” for the auditor; eg long trip, bad location, etc…. If the auditor is a full time employee and gets paid, irrespective if he is auditing or not and has some in-demand credentials, he knows he won’t be fired and he can always claim it was you, the client who was having a bad day.

Nevertheless, you absolutely have the right to request another auditor to be assigned to your future audits and the CB should welcome your feedback. Undergoing an external audit already brings a level of stress in itself. Having to deal with a jerk does not help.
Exactly spot on. A few years ago I had a newbie assigned to me that expected to be waited on hand and foot by the client, it was pretty exasperating and I ended up taking him to the "wood shed", needless to say, he bit the dust later on and self imploded. No longer in the business.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Good for you!

Like doctors, mechanics, contractors, or most anything else, good auditors can be hard to find, but when I do, I try to make their visit as comfortable as possible and let their employer know they were good and I want them back.

Unfortunately I think in the audit world too many companies are afraid to complain, out of fear it would negatively affect their audit result. This makes it harder to get the bad ones weeded out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Anything higher than AQL 6.5 (ACCEPT/REJECT)? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 8
K How can Acceptance Number and Reject Number be larger than Sample Size on Z1.4 Table? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Accept/Reject (Ac/Re) Numbers (ISO 2859-1) Confusion Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
H How to calculate the Lot Reject Rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T What does the Gage R&R results tell about my Accept/Reject Decisions? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Disposition of Reject vs. Scrap Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
K Inspecting a Length of Weld - High Reject Rates Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
O Sampling Plans for a Medical Device - What to use for my Accept and Reject Number? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
R Supplier Quality - What constitutes a Reject? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
J Gage R&R Study by Attribute (ACCEPT-REJECT-INVESTIGATE) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Certification Body - Time Frame to Reject an Appeal Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
T How to define c=0 Reject Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
S Is there an Accept/Reject Criteria for 100% Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C What is a good way to reject job applicants? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
S Reject Tags - Plastic reject tags that can be erased and reused Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Calculating an AQL given a sample size, accept/reject numbers, and lot size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
M Confidence Intervals - How we determine the probable reject rate Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
I Rejects due to material during processing - is it an in-Process or Material reject? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
H Source for Quality Assurance Stickers - QC Approved, Reject, Hold, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
L Internal threads - Maximum / Minor accept/reject diameter inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
W Measuring production performance - Defect Detection % vs. Internal Reject Registered Visitor Articles Archive 4
D Lot Reject Rate - The use of ppm vs. % (per cent) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
SteelMaiden Customer Returns/External Reject Rate - Seeking world class performance benchmark ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Reject Rates - Lots and split lots Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
B Question about AQL - Why did the customer reject our products??? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
M Reject Tags - red tag is a form and needs to have a part number and revision? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L Using Cpk index for Accept / Reject Decisions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S FMEA - Reject a PPAP because the RPN number is not shown? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
K Qualified MDR internal auditor? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics - Auditor said we are required to create our own, if no customer char. exist. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
C VDA 6.3 Auditor Expiration - Grace Period? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Auditor from other country ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Crusader ASQ AS9100 Lead Auditor Training Career and Occupation Discussions 27
J New QMS Auditor - seeking opportunities to gain audit experience Career and Occupation Discussions 3
A " I, as a 3rd party auditor, retain the obligation to determine whether or not the process is "effective"... Discuss. Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
X Looking for 17025 auditor to perform internal audit on IT software testing laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
B Internal Auditor Competence for Automotive CSR's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Ed Panek Auditor Comment about MDR vs MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 10
K 3rd party auditor for ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K AS9100 - Looking for advice on how to become a CB Auditor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Ed Panek Question from 13485 Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Rude Customer Auditor General Auditing Discussions 18
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Sidney Vianna IAQG News New IAQG Resources - AS9104-3 Requirements for Aerospace Auditor Competency & Training Courses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Internal auditor competence assessment Internal Auditing 13
Sidney Vianna Job Opening in the USA - IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P Looking to outsource Internal Audit - MDSAP competent auditor needed Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
S Transition training for Internal Auditor from ISO 9001: 2008 to the ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2