Can You Reject an Auditor?

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
Always remember, the auditor works for YOU, not the other way around. If you don't like the auditor (for some valid reason) then by all means let your CB/registrar know, and request that they send you someone else for your next audit. I have dealt with good and bad auditors over the years, and have never had a problem saying that I didn't want someone back.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Always remember, the auditor works for YOU,
I know what you mean, but there is a reason they are referred to as THIRD PARTY AUDITORS. The concept is that they are not supposed to compromise their assessments to satisfy the (paying) registrant. Yes, the CB is working under a contractual relationship with the registrant, but, in principle, they should be working as representatives of the registrants customers.

Way too often, this aspect is ignored and the auditors forget why they are there, to start with.

Randy

Super Moderator
the auditor works for YOU,
Nope.. The auditor is working for whoever is paying them, in my case I don't "work" for the CB that I represent, I work for my legal employer (my wife under her corporate structure in this case) who is contracted to supply a specific person (me) to provide specifically defined auditing services under the CB's policies, procedures and those of the AB & MLA organizations as applicable. I'm obligated by my personal code, my CB's ethical standards, and my personal professional certifications to be as honest, ethical, objective and independent as possible in providing those services. I'm also bound to look out for my employers, my CB's and the auditees best interests concurrently.

I believe (hope in fact) that some of the folks here in the Cove I've run into from the other side of the table can attest to the above. It's what I taught I don't know how many auditing and other professionals and it's what I attempt to practice.

If you don't think your auditor can meet those simple parameters remember, the door swings open both ways.

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
I had a nightmare auditor during my IATF 16949 re-certification audit last year. He interpreted parts of the standard incorrectly, made stuff up and wouldn't look at evidence that showed our compliance to certain clauses, and then raised a nonconformity. I should have known what was coming as he informed me (during the audit) of previous audits that year where people had complained about him and even one where he got barred from a site by the MD. Needless to say I complained to the CB who explained I had to stay with the same auditor for the 3 year cycle, to which I tactfully explained that that would be difficult for him to do from the curb side, as he would not be allowed on our site again.

We have another auditor now, fingers crossed that this one is like all of the others I have crossed paths with over the last 25 years (good people) and not like the last one.

Randy

Super Moderator
I had a nightmare auditor during my IATF 16949 re-certification audit last year. He interpreted parts of the standard incorrectly, made stuff up and wouldn't look at evidence that showed our compliance to certain clauses, and then raised a nonconformity. I should have known what was coming as he informed me (during the audit) of previous audits that year where people had complained about him and even one where he got barred from a site by the MD. Needless to say I complained to the CB who explained I had to stay with the same auditor for the 3 year cycle, to which I tactfully explained that that would be difficult for him to do from the curb side, as he would not be allowed on our site again.

We have another auditor now, fingers crossed that this one is like all of the others I have crossed paths with over the last 25 years (good people) and not like the last one.
Good job and you were fibbed to, you didn't have to keep the auditor 3 years, he's not allowed to audit more than 3 years under existing rules.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K How can Acceptance Number and Reject Number be larger than Sample Size on Z1.4 Table? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Accept/Reject (Ac/Re) Numbers (ISO 2859-1) Confusion Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
H How to calculate the Lot Reject Rate Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
T What does the Gage R&R results tell about my Accept/Reject Decisions? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
A Disposition of Reject vs. Scrap Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
K Inspecting a Length of Weld - High Reject Rates Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
O Sampling Plans for a Medical Device - What to use for my Accept and Reject Number? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
R Supplier Quality - What constitutes a Reject? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
J Gage R&R Study by Attribute (ACCEPT-REJECT-INVESTIGATE) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Certification Body - Time Frame to Reject an Appeal Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
T How to define c=0 Reject Rates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
S Is there an Accept/Reject Criteria for 100% Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
C What is a good way to reject job applicants? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
S Reject Tags - Plastic reject tags that can be erased and reused Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
S Calculating an AQL given a sample size, accept/reject numbers, and lot size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
M Confidence Intervals - How we determine the probable reject rate Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
I Rejects due to material during processing - is it an in-Process or Material reject? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
H Source for Quality Assurance Stickers - QC Approved, Reject, Hold, etc. Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
L Internal threads - Maximum / Minor accept/reject diameter inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
W Measuring production performance - Defect Detection % vs. Internal Reject Registered Visitor Articles Archive 4
D Lot Reject Rate - The use of ppm vs. % (per cent) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
SteelMaiden Customer Returns/External Reject Rate - Seeking world class performance benchmark ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Reject Rates - Lots and split lots Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
B Question about AQL - Why did the customer reject our products??? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
M Reject Tags - red tag is a form and needs to have a part number and revision? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
L Using Cpk index for Accept / Reject Decisions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S FMEA - Reject a PPAP because the RPN number is not shown? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
Ed Panek Question from 13485 Auditor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Rude Customer Auditor General Auditing Discussions 18
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
Sidney Vianna IAQG News New IAQG Resources - AS9104-3 Requirements for Aerospace Auditor Competency & Training Courses AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Internal auditor competence assessment Internal Auditing 12
Sidney Vianna Job Opening in the USA - IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
P Looking to outsource Internal Audit - MDSAP competent auditor needed Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
S Transition training for Internal Auditor from ISO 9001: 2008 to the ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J IATF CB Auditor questions Internal Auditor Competence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
Sidney Vianna Food & Beverage Safety Lead Auditor Open Position - USA Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
M Best accreditation body for AS9100D Lead facility auditor? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Ed Panek Auditor MDR (Presub audit) finding EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Freelance VDA6.3 Auditor at TURKEY VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
M VDA 6.3 – Workshop for Certified Process Auditor VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
R CB/Auditor Requiring a change in scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
W Redacting Info Before Giving to Auditor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Quality auditor legal right to see Board meeting minutes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
V Internal Auditor Competency KPI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
R American Petroleum Institute - Becoming an API Auditor Professional Certifications and Degrees 3