Can you suggest meaningful KPI's for our Design and Development process?

A

andrewg

All,

I need some help and advice!!

In terms of our deisgn and development process, I do not think that our key performance indicators are effective at monitoring our process. Our process is only process design responsible. Product deign responsibility is with our customers.

Could you help and suggest meaningful KPI for our process?

Any advice given would be greatly recieved?

With Regards,

Andy

M

madannc

Just to be clear about your companies role... you supply a process that your customers follow when designing products...

If this is so then your customers would be one of your key inputs...

i.e.

post implementation has the process you provided met the objectives of your customer... time saving, regs/std's, improved consistency, reduced duplication etc etc

out of interest are the "customers" internal or external

to really fully answer this would need a few more details about what your company does and for who, as this will determine KPI's if they are external then above would really be their KPI's if not then can be yours.

If you are contracted to improve existing processes by your customers then your KPI's would be time taken to deliver the process, keeping up with latest and greatest in process improvement (contiuous training development of employees oin your company), growth of customer base, % of satisfied customers, monitoring and measuring complaints....

With the sketchy details you posted this would be my best answer

AndyN

Moved On
In principle, the design 'product' doesn't matter, i.e whether it's a product/service or a process.

IMHO there are three key indications of design process performance. Time - as in cycle time and keeping to schedule, Budget and the lack of post release changes which the customer won't pay for. Since we're talking about a process design (I suppose), the capability of the process at 'launch', the 'First Time Through' value is a key indicator too......

:2cents:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
All,

In terms of our deisgn and development process, I do not think that our key performance indicators are effective at monitoring our process. Our process is only process design responsible. Product deign responsibility is with our customers.

With Regards,

Andy

Hello Andy,

AndyN and madannc have raised excellent points and provided good suggestions.

While "researching", I found an interesting article from TUV America: http://tuvamerica.com/tuvnews/articles/DCE.cfm. Look at the last paragraph: "Measuring DCE Team Results", it contains suggestions about possible metrics to be considered.

In the end, you metrics depend on what the internal and external customers expect from your process design (and implementation) efforts. The "proof is in the pudding." Clear measurable objectives (internal and external), supported by valid performance data, allow you and management to monitor ongoing performance.

Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions
All,

With Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

When we are thinking on setting up objectives for any process we use 3 pillars :

- Quality
- Cost
- Timing

All three in the broadest meaning of the word.

Best regards,

Antoine

A

andrewg

All,

Thanks fr your help.

I will look at the info you supplied.

Andy

Top Bottom