Can you use parts from Run at Rate to use in your PPAP?

niotusen

Registered Visitor
Hi there, have some thoughts, If you do a Run at Rate, can you use parts from Run @ Rate to use in your PPAP? Or shall you keep theese separated?

Can you do a Run at Rate before PPAP, or shall you make a Run at Rate after your PPAP is done?

Isnt the Run at Rate a similar process, you are doing a validation/approval of your process like PPAP?

Or shall we think different?

How do you do if you have both Run at rate and PPAP as your CSR?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
This information should be called out in the CSR. GM for example has [email protected] -8 weeks from SOP but PPAP at -15 weeks from SOP. Please don't hold me to those dates they are off the top of my head. They have a schedule I think GM1927-2 and it gives you a time line of when to have these milestones complete. Also you can ask for [email protected] and PPAPs to be ran together. As I have made widgets for GM that was at a small volume my SQE allowed me to run both at the same time and use the reduced quantity for my PPAP also.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
In my experience...the customer can handle it however they want. Ask them.

I've never once...ever...seen an automotive supplier follow the timeline they established...nor any set forth in a requirements standard or contract.

In my experience, the entire PPAP process runs on n=1, and [email protected] is done after SOP (with a lot of yelling and screaming by SQE and purchasing, overruled by engineering).
{I've been an automotive supplier for 15+ years}

Ask your automotive customer what they suggest. They can bend/break/ignore all of the rules if they want.

Golfman25

In my experience...the customer can handle it however they want. Ask them.

I've never once...ever...seen an automotive supplier follow the timeline they established...nor any set forth in a requirements standard or contract.

In my experience, the entire PPAP process runs on n=1, and [email protected] is done after SOP (with a lot of yelling and screaming by SQE and purchasing, overruled by engineering).
{I've been an automotive supplier for 15+ years}

Ask your automotive customer what they suggest. They can bend/break/ignore all of the rules if they want.
While they certainly can, if your IATF you better get it in writing. Otherwise you could get dinged against customer specific requirements.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Typically, actually ideally, output from a "successful PDR or Run at Rate" feeds both PPAP LAB or functional and PPAP DIM or dimensional.....LAB at least in the automotive arena is a series of customer/engineering designated or selected tests.

Customer specific requirements or CSRs, or for that matter the OEM's lead or Chief Engineer can modify as they see fit...it is their call. The thinking is once the process has successfully completed the PDR or RAR, this represents what the OEM expects to see in terms of quality, volume....etc. at launch....of course this assumes that the part(s) successfully complete PPAP LAB & DIM as well
Hope this helps....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Individual or Moving Range Chart? Parts run in lots of 7 with 4 key wall thicknesses Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
bryan willemot Shipping Aerospace parts without Stress certs Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D 3 Companies - Medical device parts and substances - Responsibilities EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Accessible parts per 8.4.2 b) - Touch currents in combination with MOOP or MOPP? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J Traceability of component parts - Bolts, screws and washers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Traceability on Unmarked Parts - AS9100 requirements AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
CPhelan Best metrics for monitoring low volume (<1000) parts per vendors Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
L PPM - wrong parts or defective parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
S Managing specification changes on standard parts purchased through trading companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
L PMA and Non-PMA parts in same finished goods area? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
SKM.Sunil Detachable parts vs Off the Shelf parts EU Medical Device Regulations 8
D Do purchasing controls apply to non-medical parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C AS9100D -8.5.1j - Accountability For All Products Tiny Parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
I Containment procedure for parts after a power outage. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
Ron Rompen 2D matrix issue - Parts (machined steel) returned from the customer Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
bryan willemot Looking for a good CoC to put with my certification sheets when we send parts Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Packaging and Damaged Parts returned from a Service Provider (Anodize) - Who is Responsible? Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
D AS9102 - Assembly FAI for Use As Is or Repaired Parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
B F-type applied part - Separation from ALL(?) other parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
A AQL sampling bags of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Returned but Customer damaged parts. Is it a NC? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 26
O Identifying KPI for AS9100 8.1.4 - Prevention of Counterfeit Parts - PCB assembly contract manufacturer AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 16
shimonv Design input/output traceability for mechanical parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Ahang Separation between secondary circuit and accessible parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
erozas2003 Color test on molded plastic parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P ISO 80369-7 standard - Interpreting which Parts should be in scope Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
DuncanGibbons Documentation aerospace OEMs require with purchase of parts from manufacturers/suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
was named killer AS9100 FAIR - True Position hole out by .0011" on 50 parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
Prashant G MSA Study - AS 9100 and and our customer want us to do MSA study for their parts dimension Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
G First Article Submission (Destruction of parts) APQP and PPAP 2
G Measuring customer parts on a CMM - How many decimals to report to the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 28
M Level 3 PPAP submission of intentional defective parts APQP and PPAP 4
M FMEA/DCP Structure and Quantity - Similar Parts and Processes FMEA and Control Plans 7
A Distributing Replacement Parts for Class II Medical Devices Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
Q What tier number fits in a company producing paper labels stuck on automotive parts? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
W Part Change Request - Standard (OTS) electronic parts (resistors, capacitors etc.) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
K Article 23 (Parts and components) - Economic Operator EU Medical Device Regulations 1