Canned Documentation - Buying Forms and Procedures - Are the worth it?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:15:39 -0600
Subject: Re: Q: Buying Forms

> We have decided to go for the ISO9000 2000 when it is out. We will
> begin meeting the draft requirements now as they appear to also meet
> FDA's requirements. I found a company that sells ISO 9000 forms that
> they claim will greatly help with the process. Their product includes 27
> SOP's and 22 forms. Am I wasting my time and money here? Is anyone
> familiar with these sorts of products?

Rule # 1 - ISO isn't about documenting. It's about doing the things the standard requires. Documentation (procedures, etc.) prescribes the methods you use for getting them done. If the documentation is your focus, you will wind up like the guy who built a beautiful boat in his basement only to find he had no way to get it out into the water.

Rule # 2 - Copying No. Benchmarking Si. There are many sample procedures that provide good insight into how "someone" might implement and document a particular requirement. (I sell them as do many other consultants.) But, except for a very few ISO elements, where firms might have absolutely no established practices, e.g. internal auditing, you must be extremely careful not to ADOPT foreign practices. They almost never translate well. Instead, if they look like a good, efficient method for your operation, then learn from them and ADAPT them to the way you do business. That's part of what "Benchmarking" is all about.

> Is there something better?

Rule # 3 - Spend to Save Get help from someone who has been through the process before. (The more often the better.) If nothing else, it will buy you practicality. That person can define the intent of each requirement as it applies to you, compare your current methods and practices to the requirements (a gap analysis) and guide you to implement new/changed practices that will help you close the gap in ways that will work best for you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Andy Bassett

I go along with everything said here. I have never been able to take a single form from one company to another, although i do sometimes use old forms from previous companies as a suggestion for base for new companies.

The only exceptions i have had to this is;
Calibration Equipment Lists
Document Matrixs (which i will not use in future).
Acceptable Supplier Lists
etc

I find that canned forms try to cater for too many possibilities and end up too complex.

------------------
Andy B

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Any recommendations on canned ISO 9001 documentation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
H ISO 9001 Documentation Templates ('Canned' packages) advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
GreatNate Various Audit Templates - Canned forms and templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
M More than canned audit check-sheets? Auditing the Engineering Department Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
D Where to buy "canned" Medical Device QMS Procedures and Documents IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 12
A ISO 9001 "Canned" Templates Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
N ISO 9001:2008 Self Certified using "Canned" Procedures to ISO Certified by Registrar ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S MDR (Medical Device Reporting) Justification - Canned Statements Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Canned ISO system for implementation and certification Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
S Packaged ISO Systems - Are canned policies and procedures worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 49
Ajit Basrur FDA warning on canned French Cut Green Beans US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
R Any experience with iMarkup software? Possible Substitute for Canned Quality Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
E Missing Records, Document Control and Canned Document Content Issues Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
N We have one of these so called "canned systems" Career and Occupation Discussions 19
A What Electronic Document Control Software are you using? 'Canned' or In-House? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Marc Canned Document Control Software - Is it for you? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A Electronic Records for FDA - Canned computer program for our Corrective Action system Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
P Does anyone have a API Q1 Documentation Package? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
J Documentation structure - Do I need Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 23
J Where to Place Process Maps in our Documentation? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Robert Stanley Required Documentation Templates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
I Maintaining Technical Documentation under MDD and MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Basic UDI and technical documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M What is the average time needed for process documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
was named killer CLOUD BASED QUALITY DOCUMENTATION vs. SERVER BASED Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
S How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K ITAR Visitor Documentation of Citizenship AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
R Design Verification Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
A Process Documentation for ISO 9001:2015 Internal Auditing 2
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Good Documentation Practices Self Test? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F ISO 17025:2017 mandatory documentation requirements ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
S Defining a Quality System from scratch - Preferred system and documentation names Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Maintenance of Product Technical Documentation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
F PPAP Documentation Control APQP and PPAP 8
V Every good documentation practice observation is an data integrity issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
CPhelan Labeling template on QMS - Kitting and labeling documentation Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
DuncanGibbons Documentation aerospace OEMs require with purchase of parts from manufacturers/suppliers Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
V What is the criteria to cite an good documentation practices observation as an data integrity related issue US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
L ISO 9001:2015 standard documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
N Time source for paper-based documentation (research nurses) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
W Documentation - Use of Addendum vs Amendment Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
I What level of change in documentation requires re-training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
D QMS Documentation Process - I want to put all the Process SOPs to a QMS system Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T QMS - Documentation Cloud Storage EU Medical Device Regulations 0