Cannot stay logged in

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm not sure what to say. If anyone else reading this is experiencing the same problem with any phone, hopefully they will report it in this thread.

Marc

Leader
It’s like my IPhone only “holds” my Elsmar for... say, a couple of hours, then I have to log back in. So I can be on this page, view different threads, etc. with no issues. It’s just when I am not on the page for a period of time (... >1 hour; maybe longer).

Update: I have had the forum running on my iPhone 6S Plus since 8AM - About every 3 to 4 hours I'll read a thread or other forum function, and it hasn't "kicked me out". So far, 18 hours without a problem.

I do want to emphasize that on my iPhone, if I use Safari and go to other sites and return it almost always makes me log in again. Testing Firefox this does not happen. I can go to a lot of other sites and when I return to the forum I'm still logged in. I am convinced this is an iPhone Safari browser issue.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Thanks, Marc. I didn’t even think about Firefox. I’ll download it and give it a try.

Marc

Leader
@BradM - I have rarely used my phone to browse or monitor a web site. Too small. I do know on my iMac I use 3 different browsers, each for a specific purpose.
  1. Firefox - To browse the web. Set up so that it blocks scripts, ads, etc., and when I close it all history is deleted and all cookies are deleted. It's safe to browse anywhere with it.
  2. Chrome - Mainly for some essentials such as GMail, Google related accounts, etc. but with no blockers so not safe to browse the internet at large.
  3. Safari - Only for very critical stuff like banking. As with Chrome, no safeguards so not safe to "browse anywhere" with.
And, there are a few critical sites that work in Chrome but don't work in Safari, and vice versa.

I can say with my old iPhone sometimes things get "weird" in one way or another. When it gets "weird", I totally turn it off and restart the phone which always clears up what ever it was. In my testing on this, I did reset Safari as described above, and re-did most of its settings/preferences, and it changed some things for the good. I sort of just had to download and try Firefox and it simply didn't have the problem of making me log in again if I left the forum and went to a number of other sites and then returned to the forum. I didn't download and test Chrome. My bet is it will be more like Firefox. I know a lot of people on tech sites I visit hate Safari because of its quirks.

I have had the same problem for quite a long time, I get logged out after 30 minutes or so on this and some other sites as well, using Firefox and Pale Moon and Chromium browsers, all seem to be affected, all being used on a desktop WIN 8.1 platform. I suspect it has to do with privacy settings rather than any specific piece of software. I run a number of security enhancements on the browsers, so I just deal with it as necessary. I just have to log in (like now) to post or reply. Not a huge deal, I can live with it.

BradM

Leader
Admin
And again... Marc proves to be the man!!

I downloaded Firefox on my IPhone and IPad and have had no issues.

Thank you!!

Marc

Leader
Another report via Whatsapp: I get logged out on my iPhone every time I leave the site, despite allowing cookies and checking the stay logged in box.

Top Bottom