Can't meet PEAR goals because of Corporate MGMT...

Y

yorkind

I see from some of the other posts in this forum that I'm not alone in this world of "one person QM with MGMT neglect." But I thought I'd share my issues in hopes of getting some advice.

Our company (an aerospace machine shop, 50 employees) was acquired exactly a year ago today by a larger corporation with similar scopes of work. We were told that the company was financially stable and that we would be out of our struggle to keep our doors open soon. Well since that year has past things have gotten progressively worse.

Vendors not being paid, permanent withdraw of special process services from vendors, the forcing of many hats to be worn by cutting key personnel etc.
Granted we are still in business but are barely making shipments.

My biggest hurdle is trying to perform QM activities calibrations etc. along with being the MGMT Representative as well as IT Administrator.... I have asked management to hire another QM as our recent QM just retired. They are balancing their budget supposedly by not hiring another QM and pushing the responsibility down to myself and engineering. I'm told we will have to wait another year before budgets will allow for hiring of any employees with more cuts to come.

Mean while all of my IA activities are being performed by myself and it's becoming harder to stay out of activities that aren't usually my responsibility. Thus I have to have engineering audit my QM activities which puts a load on them and the spiral continues....

Some of our PEAR's call out 98% delivery as a quality/CS goal and use a certain number of errors to gauge work order and PO accuracy. These are being missed as well because of a lack of time for review prior to release.

With all this said am I better jumping ship and trying my luck in the current market as I could perform QM and/or IT Admin activities for most businesses. Or should I stay here and try and keep the tower from crumbling?

Sorry for the venting but I'm overwhelmed and hope that someone out there may have advice for a quickly balding QM.

:deadhorse:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
I see from some of the other posts in this forum that I'm not alone in this world of "one person QM with MGMT neglect." But I thought I'd share my issues in hopes of getting some advice.

Our company (an aerospace machine shop, 50 employees) was acquired exactly a year ago today by a larger corporation with similar scopes of work. We were told that the company was financially stable and that we would be out of our struggle to keep our doors open soon. Well since that year has past things have gotten progressively worse.

Vendors not being paid, permanent withdraw of special process services from vendors, the forcing of many hats to be worn by cutting key personnel etc.
Granted we are still in business but are barely making shipments.

My biggest hurdle is trying to perform QM activities calibrations etc. along with being the MGMT Representative as well as IT Administrator.... I have asked management to hire another QM as our recent QM just retired. They are balancing their budget supposedly by not hiring another QM and pushing the responsibility down to myself and engineering. I'm told we will have to wait another year before budgets will allow for hiring of any employees with more cuts to come.

Mean while all of my IA activities are being performed by myself and it's becoming harder to stay out of activities that aren't usually my responsibility. Thus I have to have engineering audit my QM activities which puts a load on them and the spiral continues....

Some of our PEAR's call out 98% delivery as a quality/CS goal and use a certain number of errors to gauge work order and PO accuracy. These are being missed as well because of a lack of time for review prior to release.

With all this said am I better jumping ship and trying my luck in the current market as I could perform QM and/or IT Admin activities for most businesses. Or should I stay here and try and keep the tower from crumbling?

Sorry for the venting but I'm overwhelmed and hope that someone out there may have advice for a quickly balding QM.

:deadhorse:
For a company that's barely making shipments, 98% is...shall we say...unrealistic.

The company is in survival mode, and the activities that you are trying to keep up with are no longer part of the survival plan. Cutting staff to balance the budget is a short term fix for sure, and if more cuts are coming without any relief in sight, it doesn't look good.

If something could be done today to solve the current issues and get the company to magically be at the point you'd like, what would it be? I personally do not see a solution, magical or not, given the plans in place by management. You're fighting a battle that will not be won - IMO, it's time to ply your trade where you can make a positive impact.

Y

yorkind

For a company that's barely making shipments, 98% is...shall we say...unrealistic.

The company is in survival mode, and the activities that you are trying to keep up with are no longer part of the survival plan. Cutting staff to balance the budget is a short term fix for sure, and if more cuts are coming without any relief in sight, it doesn't look good.

If something could be done today to solve the current issues and get the company to magically be at the point you'd like, what would it be? I personally do not see a solution, magical or not, given the plans in place by management. You're fighting a battle that will not be won - IMO, it's time to ply your trade where you can make a positive impact.
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling this is where I might have to turn. It's discouraging because when I started here the quality system was in shambles and we all turned it around to be something that adds value and ensure a quality product (99% customer acceptance). Now we're forced to see it return to shambles because of MGMT support/financial issues.....

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Now we're forced to see it return to shambles because of MGMT support/financial issues.....
Management drives Quality; either they drive well or they drive it off a cliff at 200mph.

It sounds like management is looking for short term solutions for long term problems. I too would start polishing off my resume as this type of management will not 'see the light'. Even if they decide to re-institute everything that is/was lost like the 98% goals, it is my belief that this type of oversight management will just fudge the numbers to make them good.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Hi, yorkind:bigwave:
The company was struggling to keep the doors open before the larger corporation bought it? What were the problems at that time? Did the larger corporation publish it's plans to improve things and then cut personnel, etc. instead?

Y

yorkind

Hi, yorkind:bigwave:
The company was struggling to keep the doors open before the larger corporation bought it? What were the problems at that time? Did the larger corporation publish it's plans to improve things and then cut personnel, etc. instead?
Hi, Cari
We had financial hardships from one of the past partners being bought out (corruption/criminal issues) with a large amount of money being paid to them; which is hard for a small business to cope with a loss of cash flow. Thus we had to find a buyer. Enter "large corporation" no plans were laid out as far as employee cuts since our work is so specialized and we are sole source on various customers parts (design activity.) There really wasn't any thing but rough plans laid out; bigger machines, night shift etc. but nothing ever happened. Then vendors started calling and screaming for payment, then screaming at the corporate accounting staff then screaming for anyone who would listen..... Now we're just keeping our head above water.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Ugh - I don't envy your position. I wonder why the bigger corporation even bought you guys if they weren't planning on investing some capitol. Best of luck to you.

I have been in your shoes. That is staying loyal to a company that was sinking. In the end, little more was accomplished than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as it was going down.

If they are not trying to adhere to the requirements of the standard, now is the time to jump ship. It will only be harder to do so as the ship sinks deeper and deeper. Find someone that appreciates your talents.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
I have been in your shoes. That is staying loyal to a company that was sinking. In the end, little more was accomplished than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as it was going down.

If they are not trying to adhere to the requirements of the standard, now is the time to jump ship. It will only be harder to do so as the ship sinks deeper and deeper. Find someone that appreciates your talents.
I can't envision ANY scenario why the new parent corporation would buy your outfit UNLESS one or both of two conditions were present:

1. your little shop held some important patents or trade secrets that could not be bought separately
  2. you already had one customer this new parent had been unable to penetrate.
I gather neither of those conditions are present, so it looks like the new parent made a bad decision and you and your colleagues will be collateral damage because of it.

This is not like the scenario in the movie Citizen Kane where the Kane character bought the paper knowing it would lose money, but willing to lose said money to have the "bully pulpit."

If you choose to "explore your options," we have some threads to give you some helpful hints - just ask.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E IVD devices helping labs meet CLIA/CAP QC requirements? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
R GS1 DataMatrix code does not meet GS1 Specification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q Do these certificates of calibration meet ISO 9001 requirements for traceability to NIST? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Risks of failure to meet intended use ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
B Qualifcations of Staffing Agency Employees to meet job description General Auditing Discussions 6
F What to do when you don't meet the 1:10 ratio Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
Sidney Vianna 40 miles per gallon...on an airplane?!?! 65,000 ft altitude....with a propeller? Meet the Celera 500L Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
M Informational Team-NB published a press release regarding the capacities of notified bodies to meet the sector needs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational MDDI - It’s Time to Meet the Users of Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
W AS9120B - How to meet clause 7 Support that covers 7.1., 7.1.1, 7.1.2, & 7.1.3? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
P REACH - A few of the hundreds components in my product no longer meet requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
Wes Bucey International Manufacturing Technology Show - 10 September 2018 - Chicago (meet up?) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
BradM Where knowledge and industry meet... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
M Is referenced content sufficient to meet record content requirements? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Label Translations - Translation procedure to meet the requirements of MEDDEV 2.5/5 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Forced NOT to meet End Customer Expectations - Corrupt Third World Country ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
B Finding a Fixture Design Course to meet Customer Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Risk Requirements to meet the explicit Risk Based Approach of ISO 13485:2016 Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
alonFAI SMT machine specifications and performance meet the requirements for our production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Finding parts to meet ISO 15001 (Anaesthetic and respiratory equipment) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
G Quality Policy... Meet Requirements? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S AS9100 Foreword: Meet or Exceed customer & applicable statutory and regulatory req... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S What are the differences between Traditional 510(k) and a PMA to meet 21 CFR 814.20 ? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
B What is the implication for someone who does not meet the 70% pass mark for QMS-Lead. Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
D Are we doing enough to meet Identification and Traceability 7.5.3 Requirements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
AnaMariaVR2 DIY Fixes Don't Meet CGMP: FDA Slams Manufacturer for Fixes Involving Tape, Rubber Ba Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
I Recording of In Process Data to Meet FDA QSR 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Calibration system must meet ISO 10012, ISO 17025 or ANSI/NCSL Z540? ISO 17025 related Discussions 38
T How to meet the requirements of Environmental Conditions in a Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
B Selecting components to meet UL 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
R Does long-term body worn medical monitoring device need to meet IEC 60601-1-11? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Q How to meet Responsibility and Authority (Clause 5.5.1) Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Marc Business These Days - Maker's Mark waters down bourbon to meet demand Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
S Verify Software System Testing: Verify that results meet the Pass/Fail Criteria IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
R Does dental unit need to meet the requirements of clause 14 (PEMS)? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
B Bill of Material Content to meet Purchasing Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K Weight Calibration to meet the Z17025 Standard ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Instructions for Use - Best Practice to meet all International Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N RS485 stand to meet the EFT (Electrical Fast Transients) test according to IEC 60601 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
GStough Human Capital: How to Meet Requirements of 7.6 (Monitoring/Measuring Equipment)? Service Industry Specific Topics 10
R Is any part of earthed (grounded) enclosure required to meet, say, 25A/0.1ohm? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 18
B Issue CAR (Corrective Action Request) When KPI Fails to meet Goal Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
Q How to meet Clause 7.1.2 Acceptance Criteria in ISO TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D How to meet AS9100 Electronic Signature Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T Quality Compliance Software to meet ISO 13485 QMS and 21 CFR 820 Requirements Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
R ISO 10012, ANSI/NCSL Z540, ISO 17025 reference meet ISO 9001 7.4.2 (a) intent? ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
J Continuous Improvement SOP - How to demonstrate we meet TS 16949 Clause 8.5.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
M What other standards meet AMS 6415? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
D Calibration Traceability meet AS9100C Requirement? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3