CAPA Question

leccleston

Registered
Any advice on a preventative action for a damaged shipment when both the sender and receiver did all possible due diligence to prevent damage? The damaged shipment was likely due to errors by the contracted shipping vendor and is not part of our company. All procedures under our company were followed and all possible methods of damage prevention were used. Upon arrival the damaged items were appropriately identified and handled.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Why do you need a preventative (corrective) action?

What was the damage? (Crushed, punctured, torn, dented) What was the packaging material? Did it damage the product? Who is the contracted company? Do you have a damage agreement with them or do they have a standard agreement?

We need a lot more info to help out.

leccleston

Registered
The item was completely damaged and didn't follow our contracted shipping requirements. We contract the shipping vendor to securely ship a large number of items and even seal the shipping container to prevent damage. The vendor appears to have broken the seal and damaged a large number of items by deviated from their own procedures. All internal procedures and safeguards were followed though. Given the complexity of the items, finding another shipping vendor will be difficult. We want to appropriately document the situation in case we are audited and right now the best option is our CAPA system.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
So it sounds like you need to ask your shipper what happened and how they plan on addressing it. It is tough to protect against deliberate actions that breech safeguards.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Damaged shipments happen. I doubt your shipper cares. They'll tell you to pack it better. Do your analysis (which can include info from the shipper) and determine if packaging is adequate. I wouldn't knock myself out for a 1 time, infrequent, incident. If/when it become chronic, then it's probably time to act. Frequently, there is insurance to cover the damage.

leccleston

Registered
Damaged shipments happen. I doubt your shipper cares. They'll tell you to pack it better. Do your analysis (which can include info from the shipper) and determine if packaging is adequate. I wouldn't knock myself out for a 1 time, infrequent, incident. If/when it become chronic, then it's probably time to act. Frequently, there is insurance to cover the damage.
I agree. We are mostly just trying to make sure we document and do everything correctly in case we are audited.

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
Document it as a nonconformity, note that it's a one-time event (but the company will monitor for any trends), it was corrected (damaged materials retrieved and replaced), and close it out. As @Golfman25 advises: don't knock yourself out. :)

Top Bottom