SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Capability analysis - What is going on this chart?

reunalla

Involved In Discussions
Hi,
can somebody tell me what is going on this chart? (see attached pic)
I am very bad at statistics.

I do not think this process is capable. Is it capable? Is it stable?

Thanks in advance Capab.jpg

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
With only the chart to go by, it is not stable, but it does look capable. You have out of control points (outside the upper control limit) and so the process is not stable. The upper limit (which is the only one that matter in the parallelism measurement, as zero is perfection) is very far from even the highest value. So even tho it shows as an unstable process I would say that it is capable as the instability is so small.

These studies are so often more about the physics than the ‘blind’ application of some statistical test, even as robust a test as SPC or as flawed a test as Cpk.

Is there value in understanding what the ‘out of control’ high values are? To do that we would need to understand more about the process teh part and measurement system.

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
Your Cp and Ppk values aren't being calculated correctly because you entered a zero as the LSL and Minitab is working on the assumption that negative values are possible (which they aren't). Leave that field blank to force a bounded tolerance calculation.

Also, if you retained your original samples, you might want to re-check your flier points. My first thought is the cleanliness of the part or surface plate.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Your Cp and Ppk values aren't being calculated correctly because you entered a zero as the LSL and Minitab is working on the assumption that negative values are possible (which they aren't). Leave that field blank to force a bounded tolerance calculation.
Check the Boundary box (not available in the capability six pack).
1588598707586.png

Better yet, use the non-normal capability analysis. You will need to fit a distribution first. Lognormal should be close.

1588598829297.png

Last edited:

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just some advice: Capability studies aren't about how to crank out some stats and graphs in minitab. It really is about understanding your process and it's actual capability. How involved are you in the actual study design, the measurement process and the process itself?

reunalla

Involved In Discussions
Can you attach your data?
Yes, in the attachment.

Just some advice: Capability studies aren't about how to crank out some stats and graphs in minitab. It really is about understanding your process and it's actual capability. How involved are you in the actual study design, the measurement process and the process itself?
I am not involved, fortunately. I am working as a Quality Engineer/Consultant but I tell everybody that I do not understand this and it is not part of my job. But it came up at a work discussion and I am trying the understand. Also, I am currently at uni studying metrology and we are learning statistics and so to understand it better will help on the finals. We will have some classes this week about Minitab (online class due to COVID-19).

Check the Boundary box (not available in the capability six pack).

Better yet, use the non-normal capability analysis. You will need to fit a distribution first. Lognormal should be close.

View attachment 26790
I tried this one but it says that the lower spec cannot be 0 :(

Attachments

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
As I review your data, I see a possibility of a mixture of different process streams. Can you provide some detail on the process and how the data were collected?

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Hi Reunalla,

Looking at your initial questions:

"I do not think this process is capable. Is it capable? Is it stable"

Its very common for people to ask about capability of a data set initially but in order to answer this question with any degree of confidence we first have to answer the question of stability i.e. consistency in the behaviour of the data.

In order to understand stability we must have knowledge about the context of the data. Remember, no data has meaning without context, in this instance and in keeping with what has already been iterated in this thread what does the data represent, how was it gathered, who gathered it, under what conditions was it gathered, what was the method of collection etc etc.

The data as shown does not appear stable so any question of stating the capability is moot, however, the data may contain many sources of variation which may render it unsuitable to assess stability,consider this as the process trying to tell you that all is not well and therefore that you must investigate.

In summary, check the context, check for stability, if its not stable (basic rules for a control chart) find out why and fix then read off the capability indexes. If you really have to accept data like this then you state that its not stable (as shown) and the hypothetical capability is X or Y. Looking at your data there is a reasonable hypothetical chance that once the process is stable you will have some reasonable capability but the foundation to the data set has multiple personalities which can change in an instant, which one are you going to listen to?

Hope this helps

Good luck

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Capability Analysis - Unusual Statistical Distribution of my Proccess Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
C Minitab Binomial Process Capability Analysis Chart Explanation Using Minitab Software 1
C P value not greater than 0.05 for Capability Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Sample size when conducting capability analysis with OK and NOK parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Capability Analysis (using Histogram) for Subgrouped Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
A Inspection Capability Study (Kappa Analysis / Attribute R&R) as Certification Req't Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
C Process Capability - Attribute Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
C Process Capability - Variables Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
A Cnpk (Non-Parametric Capability Analysis) to assess whether the Process is Stable Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
Q JMP Measurement Capability Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Data Analysis - Johnson Transformation/Weibull Distribution/Capability Analysis Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
L Capability Analysis - Help with Minitab results Using Minitab Software 15
P Capability Analysis for Limited Resolution (thickness of sheets) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Capability Analysis and Sample Size Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
B Capability Analysis of a Repeated Feature Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
B Capability Analysis of a Small Sample Size (as small as 2 and as large as 30) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S "Normal" vs. "Between/Within" Capability Analysis Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S How to conduct Capability Analysis for this data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
S Free or Opensource Software that can do Multivariate Capability Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
T Capability Analysis in the Real World Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
D Capability Analysis for Packing Process in Food Manufacturing Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
I Machine Capability Analysis in Multi-Dimensional Cases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Yearly MSA (Measurement System Analysis) & Capability Study - TS 16949 Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Capability Analysis of Non-Normal Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
T Process Capability Analysis Binomial or Normal using Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 54
P Capability Analysis in Minitab - Subgroup size Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
J Capability Analysis (Cpk) of torque driver process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E Process Capability Analysis for a Service Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Regarding: Describing Graphical Overview and Capability Analysis for main dept leader Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M Macro that will perform a normality test and capability analysis - Minitab help Using Minitab Software 1
C Does a Chronically Unstable Process need a Capability Analysis? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
F Multi Capability analysis with MINITAB Using Minitab Software 2
A Whats the rationale for a Sample size of 30 for Capability Analysis? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Normal vs. When a Between / Within Capability analysis should be used? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
A Capability Analysis - Dealing with non-normal data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 8
E MSA vs. Measurement Capability Analysis - What are the differences? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 33
J What causes Ppk to be greater than Cpk when a basic capability analysis is run? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 17
A Sample size for Capability Analysis in PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
L Definition Cp Cpk Pp and Ppk Definitions - I'm doing SPC and Capability Analysis Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
C Capability in sewing processes CP,CPk,PP,PPk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
K Machine Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
lanley liao How to keep the manufacturing capability under the API monogram Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
M Minitab Capability of the Population (no sampling) Using Minitab Software 11
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
Q Capability study with a minimum spec Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10