Capability analysis - What is going on this chart?

reunalla

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

so I tried to find out more about this process but no luck. All I know is that it is from the same machine (same process stream), same production batch samples have been taken after each other in sequence.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Okay, so it is not a mixture, but you still have random process shifts that apparently self corrects. What kind of machine is this from?

What I am visualizing is something mechanically loose on the machine that randomly allows a physical setting to shift, but normal forces tend to keep it in the desired position. The abnormal points tend toward the same value as if there is a physical stop on either end that it bounces back and forth between, but favoring one extreme.

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
I still question the measurements themselves. Parallelism is easily corrupted by something as simple as dirt on a surface plate or burrs on the part. Since the "fliers" are so far from the tolerance, it would seem unlikely that anyone would take notice (unless you were actually using a control chart when performing a capability study).

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yogi Berra famously said: "It's amazing the things you can see when you look". I use this a lot to remind people that you cannot solve problems - or understand capability - by processing a pile of data through software no matter how sophisticated the math or programming are.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I would recommend a better analysis of the data on hand. Aside from the points outside the UCL, there are a number of shifts occurring within the data that are ignored by just throwing all the data into one baseline average and UCL. At the very least, we should throw the obvious outliers out (the ones above the UCL) and recalc the average and control limits to see if the remaining data are in control. Eyeballing the data indicate several likely shifts where there are seven in a row above average / below average. Another piece is the termination of data at zero and it appears to be a highly skewed distribution. This is still okay for SPC (SPC does not require normality) but we may better understand the data by understanding its distribution, perhaps by taking the logarithm of the data.

True, I agree on lets find out about the process. But since someone paid to gather this data, let's milk everything we can from it.

toniriazor

Involved In Discussions
What is your customer requirement for the capability study and what are you manufacturing? I always check myself first if data collection is OK and measured in a proper way. If data collection is poor, not logical and not measured ok, what you will get at the end will not reflect reality.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Capability Analysis - Unusual Statistical Distribution of my Proccess Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
C Minitab Binomial Process Capability Analysis Chart Explanation Using Minitab Software 1
C P value not greater than 0.05 for Capability Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Sample size when conducting capability analysis with OK and NOK parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
R Capability Analysis (using Histogram) for Subgrouped Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
A Inspection Capability Study (Kappa Analysis / Attribute R&R) as Certification Req't Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
C Process Capability - Attribute Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
C Process Capability - Variables Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
A Cnpk (Non-Parametric Capability Analysis) to assess whether the Process is Stable Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
Q JMP Measurement Capability Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
P Data Analysis - Johnson Transformation/Weibull Distribution/Capability Analysis Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
L Capability Analysis - Help with Minitab results Using Minitab Software 15
P Capability Analysis for Limited Resolution (thickness of sheets) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Capability Analysis and Sample Size Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
B Capability Analysis of a Repeated Feature Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
B Capability Analysis of a Small Sample Size (as small as 2 and as large as 30) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
S "Normal" vs. "Between/Within" Capability Analysis Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S How to conduct Capability Analysis for this data? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
S Free or Opensource Software that can do Multivariate Capability Analysis Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
T Capability Analysis in the Real World Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
D Capability Analysis for Packing Process in Food Manufacturing Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
I Machine Capability Analysis in Multi-Dimensional Cases Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Yearly MSA (Measurement System Analysis) & Capability Study - TS 16949 Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Capability Analysis of Non-Normal Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 23
T Process Capability Analysis Binomial or Normal using Minitab 15 Using Minitab Software 54
P Capability Analysis in Minitab - Subgroup size Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
J Capability Analysis (Cpk) of torque driver process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E Process Capability Analysis for a Service Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Regarding: Describing Graphical Overview and Capability Analysis for main dept leader Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
M Macro that will perform a normality test and capability analysis - Minitab help Using Minitab Software 1
C Does a Chronically Unstable Process need a Capability Analysis? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
F Multi Capability analysis with MINITAB Using Minitab Software 2
A Whats the rationale for a Sample size of 30 for Capability Analysis? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Normal vs. When a Between / Within Capability analysis should be used? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
A Capability Analysis - Dealing with non-normal data in Minitab Using Minitab Software 8
E MSA vs. Measurement Capability Analysis - What are the differences? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 33
J What causes Ppk to be greater than Cpk when a basic capability analysis is run? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 17
A Sample size for Capability Analysis in PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
L Definition Cp Cpk Pp and Ppk Definitions - I'm doing SPC and Capability Analysis Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
T Iec 60601 Impedance and current-carrying capability IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
E Sampling for capability studies for variables and attributes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4