Capability calculation of surface profile

Tahirawan77

Starting to get Involved
Hi,

I want to calculate the capability of my process. The variable is part thickness of the surface profile. The material thickness is measured at 5 different points within the part. See picture below for details

1642372419274.png

I have measured 30 parts and each part has 5 points as given in the picture. The target thickness and the tolerances of all the points is same which is 1mm±0.1.

In order to calculate process capability should I calculate a separate Cpk value for each of the points (P1…P5) so in the end I have 5 Cpk values or should I calculate Cpk for each part so I have 30 Cpk values (one for each part). Which is the correct approach?

Thanks for your help

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I am only measuring the thickness and it should be uniform across the part. the surface profile.
Using the phrase "surface profile" confuses things. A few more questions: What's the purpose of the capability study? How are you measuring the thickness? How can you do a capability study with just thirty parts?

Tahirawan77

Starting to get Involved
Using the phrase "surface profile" confuses things. A few more questions: What's the purpose of the capability study? How are you measuring the thickness? How can you do a capability study with just thirty parts?
Basically the purpose of the study is demonstrate to customer that we meet the minimum requirement specified by the customer 1.33 and to be sure in future the parts produce will meet the thickness requirement.
The part in question is measured with a contact less laser scanner.
We have a low volume production of composite parts and we do a 100% check of all parts and then annual volume is less than 100 parts.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
n order to calculate process capability should I calculate a separate Cpk value for each of the points (P1…P5) so in the end I have 5 Cpk values or should I calculate Cpk for each part so I have 30 Cpk values (one for each part). Which is the correct approach?
Good day @Tahirawan77 ;
Do 5 or 30 different processes manufacture the thickness? Remember, this is a "process capability" study. I would expect all data to be collected into ONE (single) capability study. Please help me understand why there would be more than one Cpk result for this thickness feature ?

Thank you.

Tahirawan77

Starting to get Involved
Good day @Tahirawan77 ;
Do 5 or 30 different processes manufacture the thickness? Remember, this is a "process capability" study. I would expect all data to be collected into ONE (single) capability study. Please help me understand why there would be more than one Cpk result for this thickness feature ?

Thank you.
Thanks for your reply and good day to you as well @John Abnet
We do have other molds which produces the same part so in order to increase the sample size can I combine parts produce in different mold (but similar design) into one study?

Regarding more than one cpk. pls see below picture to get an idea what i mean

1642439317653.png

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
There is no way to derive a meaningful Cpk result from a 30-piece sample. The first basic rule of Cpk analysis is that the samples must come from a process that has demonstrated statistical control. Also, such "studies" are missing a very important element: chronology. You need to understand how the process acts as time passes. The fact that production is limited to only ~100 pieces per annum simply means that no Cpk study should be undertaken. This should be explained to the customer.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks for your reply and good day to you as well @John Abnet
We do have other molds which produces the same part so in order to increase the sample size can I combine parts produce in different mold (but similar design) into one study?

Regarding more than one cpk. pls see below picture to get an idea what i mean

View attachment 28598
Good day @Tahirawan77 ;
Including multiple molds will result in bi-modal results.
What I am suggesting is that each mold represents its own set of process data. (i.e. each mold = a process). ALL data (from each of the "5 points [i.e. regardless of how many points the data is collected],, = a single "process". Therefore all of the data collected for all samples of a single mold= a single process capability study. This would then need repeated for each mold.

(don't forget to take into account sample size considerations as mentioned by @Jim Wynne )

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Semoi

Involved In Discussions
First of all I would strictly differentiate between the point estimate of the Cpk value and the associate uncertainty. There is nothing inherently wrong with using only a few measurements to calculate a Cpk value, however, the uncertainty of this estimate is probably large. In addition, you should make sure that all parties (you and your costumer) use the same formula to calculate the Cpk estimate. Different methods exists, because the Cpk value uses the standard deviation of the population, and you have to agree on an unbiased estimator -- the formula, which is used for the Cpk value.

Using multiple measurements per part ensures that your data analysis becomes complicates: Assuming that the measurements "within" a single part are correlated, you either have to use advanced data analysis, or you have to find a way to get rid of four data points. The reason for this is that the data points are not independent -- in the statistical literature you have performed "pseudo sampling" also called "sub sampling".

Although I understand that you want to make sure that the part has an homogenous thickness and no point lies outside the tolerance range, you should decide how to condense these five points into a single number, which incorporates the information of interest. E.g. if all five measurements are practically the same number, you could keep only the first data point -- it basically contains all the information. Instead, if you generated inhomogenous parts you probability should use the maximal value of the absolute deviation, max{ | zMeasured - zTarget| } for each part. Note, that due to the absolute value the tolerance is now single sided.

Personally, I get the impression that you and your customer did not properly specify the expected outcome of the study. Thus, I expect that your customer is not firm in statistics. In my experience it is not helpful to discuss statistics with such a counter part, because they are neither able to decide what is needed nor able to select a practical method to achieve this goal. Hence, I suggest that you first perform the calculation describes above -- it will take only 20min -- and then talk to the customer. If you communicate the short comings and uncertainty of the data analysis you have a high chance that the customer is already satisfied. Especially if you send the data and offer that the customer could perform some data analysis themselves.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculation Imported Legacy Blogs 0
B Calculation of c4 unbiasing constant - Capability results from Minitab in MS Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
C Sample Size Calculation Formula for Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
F Capability Calculation on 1 Population Multiple Tolerances Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
P Sample Size for Capability Calculation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 33
L Capability Calculation/Error associated to faulty normality distribution assumption Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L Capability calculation on unequal bilateral tolerances? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
T Upper and Lower Limit Calculation with Capability Formula - Product Weight Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
Howard Atkins Calculation of capability of a minimum requirement with no found maximum Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Ppk - Capability calculation using the estimated sigma calculated from the Rbar/d2 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
G QSB+ : capability of measurement equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J Process capability analysis in ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Data normality versus capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
PQ Systems Understanding Capability and Control Charts Series Using SQCpack Software 0
PQ Systems Control Charts & Capability Analysis 101 Using SQCpack Software 0
J Process Capability - Determining the process capability of certain equipment Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
K Initial capability studies on similar parts APQP and PPAP 7
S Capability Study for Leak Tester Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
C Capability in sewing processes CP,CPk,PP,PPk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
K Machine Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
C How to Establish the Calibration & Measurement Capability (CMC)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
lanley liao How to keep the manufacturing capability under the API monogram Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
M Minitab Capability of the Population (no sampling) Using Minitab Software 11
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
B Two excellent examples of process capability analysis from Quality Magazine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Q Capability study with a minimum spec Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Iec 60601 Impedance and current-carrying capability IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
E Sampling for capability studies for variables and attributes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Statistic Tools to Know Capability of Sealing Machine for Seal Width Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design input - Process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1