Capability, FMEA and PPAP - 4.9.2 - The meaning of "high degree of capability"

D

Daniel Emond

Hi, I have two questions to submit:

First, I can't understand the meaning of "high degree of capability": Cpk/Ppk>=3 (see reference 4.9.2). Most of the time for us, a Ppk is higher than a Cpk because we carefully monitore all process parameters during a pre-launch. So, during full production, a Cpk has more chance to be lower than a Ppk. So, how can this equation be higher than 3 ?

Secondly, in the QS9000's third edition, are APQP, FMEA and PPAP have no significant changes. We plan doing nothing in those parts to update from second to third edition of QS9000. For me, these program elements have only been moved ?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Winton

Daniel,

"high degree of capability": Cpk/Ppk>=3
That I would like to see. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Ppk is higher than a Cpk...
This is, more often that not, a poor estimate of sigma.

So, how can this equation be higher than 3 ?
I ain’t gotta clue. As I said, a Cpk of > 3.0 would be a sight.

You may want to see http://Elsmar.com/pdf_files/CPK.pdf

Regards,
Don

[This message has been edited by Don Winton (edited 02-04-99).]

D

Daniel Emond

Cpk or Ppk >3 is ok. We understood Cpk divided by Ppk... It doesn't make sense. Thanks !

What about my second subject ?

D

Don Winton

I think what Don was getting at is that a process with a Cpk of > 3, in the true sense, is unheard of.
Correct. But, upon re-reading the original post, I think Daniel was looking at the RATIO of Cpk/Ppk. This is even more confusing. Some QS folks may shed light, but I am so confused.

What about my second subject ?
Sorry, Daniel, but as I have stated before, I am not QS savvy. Therefore, I will rely upon other members of the Cove to cover this aspect.

As always, if I am totally off base, someone please let me know.

Regards,
Don

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
I think what Don was getting at is that a process with a Cpk of >3, in the true sense, is unheard of. Generally speaking, a Cpk that high would indicate that the tolerance is too liberal or an error in calculation. If there is no calculation error, then the process is probably not worth monitoring (not cost effective) and you would be better off measuring something requiring your attention.

B

Batman

Read "Ppk/Cpk" as Ppk OR Cpk. What they are saying is that, depending upon which calculation you used to determine capability - SPC type chart or histogram, a capability index of 3 is something you should pay little attention to, assuming normal distributions and "in control" is evident.

BTW, there are circumstances where a Cpk of 3 today is a negative Cpk tomorrow. Injection molding is a good example - in fact I have a real example. You can be near the edge but have extremely tight distribution with a Cpk of 3, send the tool out for polishing and suddenly produce parts out of spec. The dimension only moved .0007. Yes, shoot for nominal is normally the rule, but if you only look at Cpk, then you could be surprised in the future...

Oops, I forgot your second question. My input is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are satisfied that you meet the intent in those sections, they do not need changed. Somewhere you are going to state that your manual meets the "Third Edition" so you may take that opportunity to review those particular sections you mentioned, but I would certainly expend more resources on the sections that did change.

[This message has been edited by Batman (edited 02-07-99).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
T Iec 60601 Impedance and current-carrying capability IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
E Sampling for capability studies for variables and attributes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Statistic Tools to Know Capability of Sealing Machine for Seal Width Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design input - Process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Short term vs Long term Capability - We ship millions of parts in a year Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
J Are Capability Requirement(s) Valid for All Characteristics? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Y Process Capability for Non-Normal Data - Philosophical Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Process Capability in a High Precision Environment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
M CAAC-145 Manuals - Looking for examples of MOM's, MMM's Capability Lists, etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 13
J Powdercoating Capability Employing a Robotic Arm Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Excel Template for Cgk Study wanted (Capability Gauges Study) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
V Product Development - When to start calculating Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
V Capability for Correlated Charteristics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Proving Process Capability of a Packing Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
R Visual Attribute Inspector Capability and KAPPA Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
ncwalker Process Capability Study - Aggregate vs. Individual Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
KyloDen Capability Study and Qualifying a Supplier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
V Process Capability for parameters with non-normal distribution. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculations Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
bobdoering Unilateral Tolerance Capability Calculation Imported Legacy Blogs 0
T Results from conducting a Capability Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
H Tolerance, decimal places, and measuring equipment capability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M How to determine Process Capability using Minitab 17 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Process Capability - Changing Limits to Improve Cpk or find Root Causes? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Cpk vs Ppk to look at the Capability by Fixture Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
B Long Term Process Capability from miltiple Machines and Fixtures Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
L Cpk after Data Transformation - How to Transform LCL /UCL to get Capability Report Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
M Specific Capability case - Target Value is same as the Lower Limit Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9