Capability - Process vs Product - Look at process characteristics to improve product?

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
QUESTION-

For process capability studies one measures product characterisitcs to determine if process is capable then improve the process. Is there an opposite where you look at process characteristics to improve product?

I am on a team, because I am the ISO Coordinator, looking into Capability studies. I have limited experience in this area, just enough to be dangerious. Thanks in advance!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J
Feedback Loop

Can't say I ever heard of formally doing this, but after some discussion here we decided that yes, in some cases process studies can improve product. It mainly boils down to communication.

Normally, engineering decides what the product needs to be then production manufactures to those requirements. However, if process capabilities are shown to be well within tolerances, and the company has a good PDCA cycle so that engineering gets good feedback, then the engineers may be able to use tighter tolerances to improve product features such as weight, ease of use, reliability etc.

Hope this helps.

James

Atul Khandekar

I believe, since it is the process that produces a product, it should be possible to measure and monitor process characteristics to improve the product. Especially, in cases where it is not possible to directly measure the product characteristics we should be able to measure process parameters, identify the cause/effect relationships and correlate them with product quality. I think this technique is used in some chemical processes and software development processes. In toolroom or short/small run production batches where we may not obtain enogh samples/readings in one run, it would pay to concentrate on the process rather than the product. I remember having read about it in one of Thomas Pyzdek's books. Unfortunately I do not have the reference right here (posting from home), but I will certainly look it up tomorrow and post if there is any relevant information.

- Atul

K

KenK - 2009

Of course it will work. This is the very foundation of what Six Sigma (and the pile of methods that were around before it for those no so thrilled with the SS label) is all about.

This website gives some of the fundamentals of what I call process characterization - a somewhat standard approach to process improvement via process measurement and optimization:

http://www.eccb.org

Don't forget to also do measurement system analysis before you start measuring stuff.

Here is another site too:

http://www.mpcps.com/MPC1.html

This approach has been modernized and generalized into today's DMAIC process.

Atul Khandekar

gpainter,

The book I referred to is:

"The Six Sigma Handbook" - Thomas Pyzdek (McGraw-Hill, ISBN 0-07-137233-4)

He has discussed this approach as applicable to Short Run, Small Run and even Single Piece Processes.

The key seems to be:

- Planning: Prepare a Process Control Plan (PCP) before going into production, by thinking about all those process elements (sources of variation) that may have any bearing on the output characteristics.

- By preparing a PCP the inputs to the process are controlled, thus assuring that the outputs from the process will be consistently acceptable.

This essentially is the same as what has been said in this thread already.

There are also some examples of a CNC machining process, Wave soldering process, and software development process in the book.... Well,.... impossible to quote the whole chapter here!:)

- Atul.

A

Al Dyer

It is very doable and should be done. As opposed to part dimensions being the outcome of the process, their are areas of the process that can be monitored using basic SPC techniques and hopefully related up to the end product.

If you are drilling a hole in a piece of steel you want the end product to be the correct diameter. One way to prove and improve would be to do a process study on the drilling function of the machine. Basically called Mean Time Between Failure.

If you are running product, it has already been approved for shipment and you need to continuously improve the process performance, which is usually the machine used to manufacture the product. In doing MTFB to improve the end product you would also be covering any preventive maintenance requirements in effect.

Small projects can lead to large improvements!:bigwave:

V

venkat - 2011

I would like to know the methodology of drawing the process capability charts with UCL and LCL values.

Can any of the viewers help me with an example and explain step by step (or) any website references please

Venkat,
You can get the basic information from the AIAG SPC manual. Once you have collected your data you can plug it into an excel spreadsheet and chart the results. Or you can purchase a canned SPC package.

Darius

The continuous process improvement via process measurement and optimization is a way to make the output of our process more consistent, and that the objective of the capability analisys, not only to make the caracteristics of the products get into the specifications, but to reduce the variation, and that's SPC.

For charting capability charts, some people like to chart a normal distribution alone with the Lower and Upper Specification Limit, others to chart the frecuency histogram with the normal distribution and limits, and others don´t like capability index and preffer the use of box-plot. The box-plot could be usefull for visualization acrosss the time, I charted the index in an individuals and moving range control chart and the box-plot as a companion chart and I tink is very ilustrative.

I hope this help;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Product Development - When to start calculating Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
A Process Capability Study using Variables Data (weight of the product) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
L IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design input - Process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Y Process Capability for Non-Normal Data - Philosophical Questions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Process Capability in a High Precision Environment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
S Proving Process Capability of a Packing Machine Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
ncwalker Process Capability Study - Aggregate vs. Individual Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
V Process Capability for parameters with non-normal distribution. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
J Process Capability - How much percentage of tolerance? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 3
S Regression Control Chart - Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
M How to determine Process Capability using Minitab 17 Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Process Capability - Changing Limits to Improve Cpk or find Root Causes? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
B Long Term Process Capability from miltiple Machines and Fixtures Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E What Data do we need for Welding and Repair Process Capability? Six Sigma 1
K Calculating Capability of a process when data is skewed in the upper range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S What is the difference between Process Capability and Machine Capabilty Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
V How to Assess Process Capability at the Development or Optimization Phase Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
C Minitab Binomial Process Capability Analysis Chart Explanation Using Minitab Software 1
kedarg6500 Sample Size for Short Term & Long Term Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
J Is it the same process capability or performance in 8.2.3.1 and SPC? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E Binomial Process Capability Sample Size - Variables Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M On Subgroups in Control Charts and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N SPC and Process Capability Using a Romer Arm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Interpreting Process Capability results and ratios Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
J Go or No-Go Process Capability Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
S Process Capability with Negative Exponential Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
C Process Capability - Attribute Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
C Process Capability - Variables Data Analysis (Template) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
A Cnpk (Non-Parametric Capability Analysis) to assess whether the Process is Stable Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
V Process Capability to reconfirm the Inspection Frequency Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Sample Size based on Process Capability Indices (Pp/Ppk)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 20
P Calculating Process Capability from Data of attached spreadsheet Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D How to measure Process Capability for Homogeneous Batch Manufacturing Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Burrs affecting measurements and Process Capability Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
G Assessing Process Capability on Variation (Hardware Adjustment Mean Shift) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
D Calculating Upper-CL/Lower-CL and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
V Defining Subgroups and Importance of Subgroups in SPC and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T Process Capability - Understanding what Process Capability Indices mean Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 17
Q TS 16949 Process Capability Requirements - Cpk ≥ 1.67 on All Key Parameters? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S Process Capability questions - Calculating Cpu using Minitab Six Sigma 6
C Sample Size Calculation Formula for Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
D Capability Analysis for Packing Process in Food Manufacturing Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
Q When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
S Process Capability on Basic Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
D Process Capability Study which involves MMC (Maximum Material Condition) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
E Process Capability Analytical Tools Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1