Capability: Short Term or Long Term? Cpk= Long term and Ppk= Short term?

A

Andrews

Capability: Short Term or Long Term?

I had the opportunity to attend a training programme conducted by one of our customer where the lecturer / facilitator told us something that was in contradiction to what I learnt earlier.

They said that Cp,Cpk is related to short term capability and Pp,Ppk is related to long term capability.What do the forum users feel about it?

N

noboxwine

My Two Cents

You'll typically find, in Automotive:

Cpk= Long term---due to estimated std dev
Ppk= Short term---due to calculated std dev

And, MHO, if the long-term process is stable, this is the way to go. If not a stable process, Cpk is always worthless.

In Software, I have typically seen just the opposite.

I don't see, whether or not it's car parts or CD's, where an estimated sigma (Cpk) is good for any short term capability.

Though, very interested in other opinions as always.

Hope this helps ! Have a day ! :smokin:

A

Atul Khandekar

My Two Cents too

I agree with noboxwine.

Stability is a prerequisite for Process Capability. This can be established using a control chart. A long term study would imply that the process has had a chance to run thorugh all possible cycles and therefore all the common and special causes of variation have been covered. In such cases Cpk is calculated using sigma=Rbar/d2.

Process Performance Ppk involves short span runs of may be 100 consecutive parts. Some of the special causes of variation may not have ocurred at all.

Here are two earlier threads on the same topic:
http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1994
http://Elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=4048

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Now I'm confused. I don't have a copy of the AIAG SPC manual here, so I pulled out Ford's CSRs because I remember it being talked about in there. But they contradict themselves! In 4.37 it says...

The choice of the capability index used for initial process studies - Cpk (predictive), or Ppk (historical) – shall be based solely on the nature of the process data collected
But in Table B it says...

After process stability has been demonstrated and capability has been calculated, the most recent point on the control chart and the historical process capability indices (Cpk/Cp) may be used to determine appropriate actions.

It sounds like Ford is confused also. My understanding has always been as stated above - that Cpk was historical and Ppk was short-term.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Statistics - Blessing and Curse!

Marc said:
So the answer is???
ASQ's Body of Knowledge for the Quality Manager certification test describes
Cpk as long-term, stable (Cpk > 1.3 = capable)
and
Ppk [Potential Process Capability] as short-term, stability undetermined (Ppk > 1.67 = capable) The difference in ratio of being acceptable to be called "capable" is just a fudge factor.

The difference in what is capable ratio is that because the run is short, Ppk does not include the normal variability that will be seen in a full production run.

Now ask me, "What do I really believe?"

I really believe that reliance on such ratios for short runs (Ppk) is really not as informative as pure control charts.

There are links to interesting articles on the topic at
http://www.qualityadvisor.com/library/capability/capability-menu.htm

Last edited:
C

CastaDave

I've stumbled across this debate on this forum, which is a coincidence because I was having the same arguement with one of my Quality Engineers.

He also states that his training told him that Cp/Cpk related to Long term, and Pp/Ppk related to short term.

I am a certified Six Sigma Blackbelt, and my training pushed me in the other direction. After a heated debate, I reviewed the training files from the Six Sigma Institute which states the following:

When evaluating process capability…
- A short term study is conducted to see how good a process can be. Data is collected over a short period of time during which the process is influenced only by random causes.Cp, Cpk
- A long term study is conducted to see the process’ actual long-term performance. Data is collected over a long enough period of time such that the process is influenced by both random and non-random causes.Pp, Ppk
- The Process Sigma Level is the z value corresponding to a short term study (centered distribution, when using variable data).
- The Short Term Process Sigma Level can be estimated from a long term study by the adjustment: zST = zLT + 1.5.
- The 1.5 Sigma adjustment accounts for the shift and drift of the short term distribution over time.
- When variable data is used, the capability indices Pp and Ppk are computed:
Cp indicates the process’ potential capability if it were perfectly centered between specification limits.
Cpk takes into account off-centering.
- For a Six Sigma process, Cp = 2.0 and Cpk = 1.5
- When attribute data is used in a long term study, the Long Term Process sigma Level is the z value corresponding to the proportion defective or DPO. The Short Term Process Sigma Level (reported) = zST = zLT + 1.5.

I Hope this helps!

Smithy

A

Atul Khandekar

the eternal debate!

Smithy,
Thanks and Welcome to the Cove.

B

ben sortin

Just make sure you understand the sources of variability in the surrogate process.

If you have a capability index of one and only one person looks at it one time then one report will probably do until one addresses management commitment.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
QeSmithy said:
When evaluating process capability…
- A short term study is conducted to see how good a process can be. Data is collected over a short period of time during which the process is influenced only by random causes.Cp, Cpk
- For a Six Sigma process, Cp = 2.0 and Cpk = 1.5

I Hope this helps!

Smithy
Welcome, Smithy.

I thought a Cpk of > 2 was required for a "six sigma" process. Can you double-check?

Here is another opinion on the debate, FWIW, from an article I have by Dr. Mehernosh Kapadia:
In 1991, ASQ / AIAG task force published the "Statistical Process Control" reference manual, which presented the calculations for capability indices ( Cp, Cpk ) as well as process performance indices ( Pp, Ppk ).

The difference between the two indices is the way the process standard deviation ( s ) is calculated.

Cpk uses s which is estimated using ( R-Bar / d2 ) or ( S-Bar / C2 ) .

Ppk uses the calculated standard deviation from individual data where s is calculated by the formula :

So the next question is which metric is best to report Cpk or Ppk ?
In other words, which standard deviation to use - estimated or calculated ?
Although both indices show similar information, they have slightly different uses.

Ppk attempts to answer the question "does my current production sample meet specification ?" Process performance indices should only be used when statistical control cannot be evaluated.

On the other hand, Cpk attempts to answer the question "does my process in the long run meet specification?" Process capability evaluation can only be done after the process is brought into statistical control. The reason is simple: Cpk is a prediction, and one can only predict something that is stable.

He has a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering from Penn State University, USA and MBA from NTU, USA. He is a Six-Sigma Master Black Belt and an ASQ certified CQE & CRE. He obtained his Doctorate from The University of Bombay

Top Bottom