Capability Studies for Profile (GD&T Callout)

A

ahshah

Any threads/discussions on Capability studies for Profile and Position? I did find the Paul's PPK speadsheets, but looking for additional input/discussions.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

Sturmkind

Hi, Ahshah!

There have been several previous good threads: Cpk Studies for Concentricity - Dimension that is spec'd 0.0 - .03 (
1 2). Use the Search function on the top tool bar next to the Orange 'Quick Links'.

Good luck!

P.S. The regimen and rationale are the same for unilateral tolerances like flatness, true position (though this must be treated as a bi-modal distribution), profile (which arguably could also be treated as a bi or tri-modal distribution). They may, or may not be normal and depending on distance from the specification limits may, or may not have good CP/CR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul F. Jackson

Quite Involved in Discussions
If I had a profile callout to manage...
I would study the given process,
identify (to the best of my ability) the vulnerabilities of the process in contributing
variation to the feature profile,
examine the how the process can be adjusted,
assess what tools are at my disposal to measure the profile deviation,
and finally reconcile how the profile deviation affects function...

then I would choose strategic points on the profile that are:
sensative to the process vulnerabilities
oriented (if possible) to the available individual process adjustments
and influential to the products functional variation.

I would attempt to achieve control on each of the points individually and adjust the means in the process (if possible) to my production sensative targets.
Check my profile assumptions... process vulnerabilities for variation, effects of process adjustment, and impact on functional variation.

Then I would run a production representative sample, predict the initial capability of the process based on the simple +/- mean deviation from the profile target, and report the capability of these strategic points... highlighting the worst as the predicted capability.

Paul

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
In addition to the previous advice, consider the following:

Adjacent points in a profile will exhibit a behavior that is analogous to autocorrelation. In case you are not familiar with autocorrelation, it is a time series where the value of a number of subsequent measurements depends on the value of a prior measurement. For example, the ambient temperature at 11:00 AM depends on the temperature at 10:50 AM. It is probably also dependent on the temperature at 10:30 AM, but at some time difference, the dependence breaks down.

While not true autocorrelation, the analogy should hold true. Two points on a profile made by a specific process will tend to depend on the other the closer the proximity. The practical aspect of this is that control of a single point will control a band of the profile surface. The width of the band will depend on the process that created the surface. An autocorrelation analysis may be able to define the width of this band for a given process.

This would justify the practice of using a few points to control a surface.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Adjacent points in a profile will exhibit a behavior that is analogous to autocorrelation. In case you are not familiar with autocorrelation, it is a time series where the value of a number of subsequent measurements depends on the value of a prior measurement. ... While not true autocorrelation, the analogy should hold true.

This would justify the practice of using a few points to control a surface.
This is a great example of the dire need to develop the total variance equation for each situation. I agree, adjacent points are related. Also, without a doubt, there is autocorrelation from the tool wear (so we can rule out independent, random variation for that participant of variance.) But, as an example, if a position callout is from an inside dimension to an outside datum, the the tool wear on the outside may (and most likely does) wear at a different rate then the tool on the inside. Also, if there is a need to re-chuck to generate one dimension after the other, then the error in chucking will participate (and, it may very well be random and independent).

The worst thing to do is to look at any variation as 'one output'. It is a multi-modal output, and how many modes that are significantly influencing the capability will be a function of the CNX analysis - which ones you can adjust - which ones you can keep statistically insignificant, and which ones you have no control over. Those factors also influence the validity of any representation you prepare (capability index, for example) over time. As much as people would love plug and chug - or use it indiscriminately - it is simply not that easy. Some people have proposed using nonlinear response surface modeling to describe the probability of these types of relationships. Sounds interesting, but I have not tried it yet. In any event - one would have to look at each callout, and the processes that generate it, very specifically - it is nearly impossible to generalize.

Last edited:
P

Peter Truitt

Are folks familiar with SmartProfile? If provides tolerance analysis per ASME Y14.5-1994.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Sampling for capability studies for variables and attributes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
T Results from conducting a Capability Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B For a measuring instrument, should MSA be done first or the Capability studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R Excel 2003 and Capability Studies for Dummies - Help needed! Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
L Capability studies on machine types - Supplier has over 1000 machines Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
M Capability Studies in Engineer to Order Small Batches Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
S Specification Limits and Capability Studies in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
O Capability Studies: Can I combine Attribute Data and Variables Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
B Injection Molding Capability Studies for PPAP Submission Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 19
Chennaiite Interpretation of Short term vs. Long term Capability Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
M Machine Tool Calibration - Machine Capability Studies on CNC Machine Tools Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Volumetric Positioning - Machine capability studies for CNC machine tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
H Capability Studies and Monitoring Runs at a Metal Stamping Facility Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
I Reason for pre-production machine/process capability studies / SPC during production Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
M Differences between Machine Capability and Product Capability studies Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
F Capability studies in Process Plants - E-coat of galvanized flat carbon steel coils Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
J Safety Characteristics & capability studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
D Machine Capability Studies on CNC Lathes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 35
D Machine Capability Studies: How many parts needed? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
J Capability Studies - Do I need to use subgroups? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Multi-Cavity Capability Studies Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Capability Studies - 5 different dimensions - How many parts? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D Capability studies with less than 125 individual samples. Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
I Capability Studies - Fewest Number of Parts for a Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
D Capability Studies - Combining parts from two lots Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
Marc PPAP Preliminary Capability Studies - Batches - Paint Company APQP and PPAP 3
Q Capability - CPk comparison values Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
N Is capability applicable for a destructive test? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
T Iec 60601 Impedance and current-carrying capability IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
T Final process capability results - What I am supposed to present? Cp and CpK? APQP and PPAP 11
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Statistic Tools to Know Capability of Sealing Machine for Seal Width Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q How to perform Process Capability for true position Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Initial capability for injection molding part Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Ron Rompen Ford Method - Position Capability with MMC Modifier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 10
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
L IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.3.2 Manufacturing process design input - Process capability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Short term vs Long term Capability - We ship millions of parts in a year Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7