Capability Study for Level 3 PPAP - They are asking for a 100 peice capability study

1236 Paul

I have just completed a level 3 ppap for a customer (first one I have done) and they are asking for a 100 peice capability study, I don't know what this is, can anyone steer me in the right direction. Thanks. Paul

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

billsfan

Paul,
First, you'll need to know what characteristic(s) are "critical." In other words, what dimension are you to do a capability study on? Once that is established, you need to collect 100 samples (parts) to preform the study on. Now, you say that you've just completed the PPAP, so I'm assuming that production ran some quantity of parts. Let's hope that they ran at least 300 pieces, since that is the minimum required in the PPAP manual. You take your 100 pieces out of that production run. If possible, samples should be taken over time ( some from the beginning, middle & end of the run.) You then would measure the 100 pieces,(remembering the 10x rule.) At this point, I would enter the numbers into a software system which calculates & reports Cpk/Ppk information. If you don't have software, I guess you're going to have to do it the old fashion way, paper & pencil. Formulas can be found in the PPAP manual. You'll also need a Gage R&R for the piece of measuring equipment used for the study. In the future, might I suggest that PRIOR to the PPAP run, the "critical characteristics" are identified and a plan is established to collect data on the floor at the time of manufacturing (ie; xbar & r chart.) Then all you have to do is collect the data from manufacturing & crunch the numbers. Hope this has been of some help. If you give me more specifics, I might be able to "walk you through" this capablity study. Good luck, and may the force be with you :).

G

gerard jordan

paul, just a few points though by now i'm sure you've attended to the matter. sounds like you had some good advice from fellow netters. On point of control charting etc make sure you do this manually and not via some software package. Do this for some time it's the only way to learn on such matters.
Secondly, make sure that process operators become involved in this process, ie, they contribute their wealth of knowledge and experience in determining what makes the process tick (ie, causes of varuiation)..
Thirdly, before you undertake to determine process capabilities you must firstly acknowledge whether or not the process is stable else all other efforts could prove futile.finally,is there anyone else in the plant who could undertake this study? If there isn't then something's wrong!
good luck with everything anyway.

B

billsfan

Don,
What I meant by the 10x rule is to be sure that the piece of measuring equipment used has resolution to one decimal place beyond the specification you're measuring. In plain english if you need to measure something .xx inches, you need a tool that will measure out to .xxx.
I've probably made that as clear as mud! You'll have to excuse me, Delphi has been using me as their whipping boy this month!
I'm not sure if I should s**t or wind my watch!
Anyways, back to the group....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Capability study with a minimum spec Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Excel Template for Cgk Study wanted (Capability Gauges Study) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
ncwalker Process Capability Study - Aggregate vs. Individual Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
KyloDen Capability Study and Qualifying a Supplier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Capability Study => Check %Study Variance and NDC? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Conflict between department of MSA and Capability Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J How to determine a Capability Study for Low-Volume Suppliers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S What is Cc? Capability Study on Key Critical Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
L Capability Study for a Honing Machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Inspection Capability Study (Kappa Analysis / Attribute R&R) as Certification Req't Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
C Subgroup Size in Minitab for Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
O One Cavity Mold Prototype Capability Study and PPAP Approval APQP and PPAP 1
G How to calculate Subgroup Size for Machine Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V How to calculate Machine Capability Study using Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
V JCI standard numbers of pieces required for Capability Study? APQP and PPAP 2
T Industry Standards for # of parts for Capability Study and Layout FAI's? APQP and PPAP 4
D AIAG 4th Edition Capability Study and Gage R&R Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
P Capability Study for a Specific Thickness of Rubber Sheeting Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Q When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability Study on Continual Arbitrary Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
J Attribute Data and Capability Study of Holes in Parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Process Capability Study which involves MMC (Maximum Material Condition) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
A Yearly MSA (Measurement System Analysis) & Capability Study - TS 16949 Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Process Capability - Interview Case Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Process Capability Study using Variables Data (weight of the product) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Capability Study on a New Machining Process - Issues Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 40
S Does anyone know what is involved in a HiPot capability study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Process Capability study of CNC Machining Process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q Machine Capability Study - Cpk (Cmk) of an R/F testing machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B MSA (Gage R&R) vs. Capability Cpk Study - Helium Leak Check Station Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Machine GR&R (Gage R&R) - Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M Cmk (Machine Capability) - Case study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Barahir Visual Inspection - Capability Study on Attribute Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
M Capability Study on Extruded Alumin(i)um - How would one define a "batch"? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Capability Study Template Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
C Capability Study Required as a Condition to Adopt a Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
sridharafep Process Capability Study for Electrostatic Powder Coating Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Process Capability Sheet for a short term 30 piece study needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Capability Study for Radii of laser cut pockets - 0.030" radius Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
V Machine short term capability study with Cmk index in automotive industry Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
A How do you identify your heat treat capability study samples? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E Capability study on true position callout. What would be the upper and lower spec? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K Format for presenting capability study results? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7