Capability Study for Radii of laser cut pockets - 0.030" radius

B

Bill Lewey

Hi,

This is my first post to the Forums but I've lurked here in the past and picked up quite a lot of good information. I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I have a new product in my plant which has laser cut pockets about .85" by .25". The pocket corners have .030" radius. This radius is a KPC for the customer so I need to do capabilty studies for radius and R&R studies for for the gage.

We have radius buttons and comparators to measure this with. How would I go about doing these studies considering I don't have any variable gaging and I can't seem to find any type of variable gaging that will work in this application?

Thanks for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Wow...you have a situation. First, you need a gaging system that will give you 10:1 - or .003" radius resolution - just to get started. What is the variation of sizes of the radius buttons in your set?

If they meet the above criteria, then pick 5 parts, pick a radius on each one, and have 3 people "measure" the radii with the buttons. Mark the chosen button size down for each one. Then, plug and chug in the GR&R calcs. They are variable, just a rough variable.

BTW - this is a great job for a vision system CMM (wishful thinking). fast with lots of resolution. Can lay out the whole part fast. OGP is my favorite...IMHO. :cool:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Wow...you have a situation. First, you need a gaging system that will give you 10:1 - or .003" radius resolution - just to get started. What is the variation of sizes of the radius buttons in your set?
The 10:1 ratio applies to the tolerance, not the nominal. For example, if the total amount of tolerance is .010", the gage should resolve to at least .001".

B

Bill Lewey

Thanks for the replies.

My buttons don't have that resolution. I've been attempting to measure it with a comparator and templates but it's a tough measurement to make.

The only function of the radius is help prevent breakage or cracking during operation. This is a highly stressed section of the part and a sharp corner would lead to cracking and failure.

Bill

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
My guess is the comparator will not give you adequate GR&R results with that measurement approach either. You may be painted into a corner on this one with the gaging you have. :nope: You could send your capability study samples out for measurement, but that does not help your ongoing process verification gaging.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Thanks for the replies.

My buttons don't have that resolution. I've been attempting to measure it with a comparator and templates but it's a tough measurement to make.

The only function of the radius is help prevent breakage or cracking during operation. This is a highly stressed section of the part and a sharp corner would lead to cracking and failure.

Bill
This is one of those cases that illustrates the reason that I don't like calling some characteristics "special." It seems that it's not the size of the radius that's important, but the presence of it. There are times when it's prudent to ask for relief from the customer in handling of KPCs, and this seems to be one of them. While it might not do you any good, it couldn't hurt to explain your dilemma to the customer and ask for suggestions.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
This is one of those cases that illustrates the reason that I don't like calling some characteristics "special." It seems that it's not the size of the radius that's important, but the presence of it. There are times when it's prudent to ask for relief from the customer in handling of KPCs, and this seems to be one of them. While it might not do you any good, it couldn't hurt to explain your dilemma to the customer and ask for suggestions.
Good point! Also might not hurt to ask how they check them. It will give you an idea how important the GR&R is to them, if nothing else. If they use a comparator with templates, then...well, maybe it is good enough for you!

Paul F. Jackson

Quite Involved in Discussions
What is the tolerance of the .03 radius?

If you use an attribute gage strategy to estimate your capability then at typical customer defined levels of capability conformance the occurance of a defect would have to be extremely rare which means that your sample size has to be extremely large. You can reduce that sample size by comparing the actual radii to only a portion of the tolerance either side of .03". When/if a defect is observed to the reduced tolerance value it should be re-checked with either an attribute gage using the full tolerance or with equipment that produces continuous data.

It is good to know that the critical function pertains to the minimum value of the radius. Your gaging strategy should be respective of that and you may want to occasionally check the form of the radius to detect whether there are conditions (reversals, steps, cracks, etc.) which could introduce stress risers not detected by the radius measurement.

Paul

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Capability study with a minimum spec Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Excel Template for Cgk Study wanted (Capability Gauges Study) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
ncwalker Process Capability Study - Aggregate vs. Individual Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
KyloDen Capability Study and Qualifying a Supplier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Capability Study => Check %Study Variance and NDC? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Conflict between department of MSA and Capability Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J How to determine a Capability Study for Low-Volume Suppliers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S What is Cc? Capability Study on Key Critical Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
L Capability Study for a Honing Machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Inspection Capability Study (Kappa Analysis / Attribute R&R) as Certification Req't Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
C Subgroup Size in Minitab for Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
O One Cavity Mold Prototype Capability Study and PPAP Approval APQP and PPAP 1
G How to calculate Subgroup Size for Machine Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V How to calculate Machine Capability Study using Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
V JCI standard numbers of pieces required for Capability Study? APQP and PPAP 2
T Industry Standards for # of parts for Capability Study and Layout FAI's? APQP and PPAP 4
D AIAG 4th Edition Capability Study and Gage R&R Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
P Capability Study for a Specific Thickness of Rubber Sheeting Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Q When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability Study on Continual Arbitrary Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
J Attribute Data and Capability Study of Holes in Parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Process Capability Study which involves MMC (Maximum Material Condition) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
A Yearly MSA (Measurement System Analysis) & Capability Study - TS 16949 Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Process Capability - Interview Case Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Process Capability Study using Variables Data (weight of the product) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Capability Study on a New Machining Process - Issues Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 40
S Does anyone know what is involved in a HiPot capability study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Process Capability study of CNC Machining Process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q Machine Capability Study - Cpk (Cmk) of an R/F testing machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B MSA (Gage R&R) vs. Capability Cpk Study - Helium Leak Check Station Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Machine GR&R (Gage R&R) - Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M Cmk (Machine Capability) - Case study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Barahir Visual Inspection - Capability Study on Attribute Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
M Capability Study on Extruded Alumin(i)um - How would one define a "batch"? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Capability Study Template Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
C Capability Study Required as a Condition to Adopt a Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
sridharafep Process Capability Study for Electrostatic Powder Coating Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Process Capability Sheet for a short term 30 piece study needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
V Machine short term capability study with Cmk index in automotive industry Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
A How do you identify your heat treat capability study samples? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E Capability study on true position callout. What would be the upper and lower spec? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K Format for presenting capability study results? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Manix Initial Capability study on N50 parts - Subgroup Size? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5