SBS - The best value in QMS software

Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool

I have been tasked to complete a support work instructions on how to complete a capabiltiy study, how to interpret the study, and all the intricate details. This will possibly be a 15 page report which is supposed to help new quality engineeres or any fresh graduate who may be working on a capability study.

So here is my question:

What did you completely misunderstand when it came to capability studies when you were fresh and new to the quality department?

Example: when i barely had a year under my belt I didn't understand the capability study should have included subgroups that mattered to my process and that it was bound by time so I should have retrieved my samples through a lengthy time period....

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted Information Resource
how to correctly interpret...the results...as yo will likely see from other posters, the studies have limitations...secondarily knowledge as to proper execution and use of the same...btw whose software are you using?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The concept of rational subgroups and how to determine whether your subgroups are rational. Also, not mixing different process streams and how to handle situations with multiple streams.

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
How to check your data for normality. This was a big thing when I first started doing capability studies (at least for that set of customers.

AMIT BALLAL

Trusted Information Resource
The misunderstandings I had during my initial days (with regard to SPC):
1. Cp, Cpk or Pp, Ppk calculation is SPC (Control charts to be used first to achieve stability)
2. Pp, Ppk is for short term SPC study
3. Any data can be used for Cp, Cpk / Pp, Ppk calculations (Normality is required for traditional calculation of Cp, Cpk or Pp, Ppk indices. And if data is not normal, either transform data / check underlying distribution and use the calculations accordingly.)

There is still a confusion across the industry on the usage of Cp, Cpk or Pp, Ppk and AIAG SPC manual also recognize this. Hence I use and recommend calculation of both Cp, Cpk and Pp, Ppk indices.

BevD and Miner are experts on this field, they can give you better insights on SPC.

how to correctly interpret...the results...as yo will likely see from other posters, the studies have limitations...secondarily knowledge as to proper execution and use of the same...btw whose software are you using?
We use minitab so the main part of the report will be to provide execution instructions for minitab but I will have to include an excel file or maybe the equations so an engineer would understand where the statistic is coming from.

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Hello Arenetjen,
As well as the study being planned completely at the outset (already mentioned here) that any reliance and action on the reporting of numbers when the process data is not stable is wishful thinking. If a process is unstable in the past how can you extrapolate into the future with any confidence?
That its not a given that a process only contains random variation without intervention, but rather that it's an achievement and a continual challenge.

How to check your data for normality. This was a big thing when I first started doing capability studies (at least for that set of customers.
normality first!!! yes. This is a great example of what I am talking about. It is second nature for me. I will prob process map the whole cape study and then write the instruction.

The misunderstandings I had during my initial days (with regard to SPC):
1. Cp, Cpk or Pp, Ppk calculation is SPC (Control charts to be used first to achieve stability)
2. Pp, Ppk is for short term SPC study
3. Any data can be used for Cp, Cpk / Pp, Ppk calculations (Normality is required for traditional calculation of Cp, Cpk or Pp, Ppk indices. And if data is not normal, either transform data / check underlying distribution and use the calculations accordingly.)

There is still a confusion across the industry on the usage of Cp, Cpk or Pp, Ppk and AIAG SPC manual also recognize this. Hence I use and recommend calculation of both Cp, Cpk and Pp, Ppk indices.

BevD and Miner are experts on this field, they can give you better insights on SPC.

I appreciate the information. I know for sure that even in my company there is misinterpretation on CP/PP and it is used erroneously to identify a "Good Process"

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q Capability study with a minimum spec Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Excel Template for Cgk Study wanted (Capability Gauges Study) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
N Process Capability Study - Aggregate vs. Individual Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
KyloDen Capability Study and Qualifying a Supplier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Capability Study => Check %Study Variance and NDC? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Conflict between department of MSA and Capability Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J How to determine a Capability Study for Low-Volume Suppliers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S What is Cc? Capability Study on Key Critical Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
L Capability Study for a Honing Machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Inspection Capability Study (Kappa Analysis / Attribute R&R) as Certification Req't Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
C Subgroup Size in Minitab for Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
O One Cavity Mold Prototype Capability Study and PPAP Approval APQP and PPAP 1
G How to calculate Subgroup Size for Machine Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V How to calculate Machine Capability Study using Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
V JCI standard numbers of pieces required for Capability Study? APQP and PPAP 2
T Industry Standards for # of parts for Capability Study and Layout FAI's? APQP and PPAP 4
D AIAG 4th Edition Capability Study and Gage R&R Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
P Capability Study for a Specific Thickness of Rubber Sheeting Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Q When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability Study on Continual Arbitrary Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
J Attribute Data and Capability Study of Holes in Parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Process Capability Study which involves MMC (Maximum Material Condition) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
A Yearly MSA (Measurement System Analysis) & Capability Study - TS 16949 Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Process Capability - Interview Case Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Process Capability Study using Variables Data (weight of the product) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Capability Study on a New Machining Process - Issues Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 40
S Does anyone know what is involved in a HiPot capability study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Process Capability study of CNC Machining Process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q Machine Capability Study - Cpk (Cmk) of an R/F testing machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B MSA (Gage R&R) vs. Capability Cpk Study - Helium Leak Check Station Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Machine GR&R (Gage R&R) - Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M Cmk (Machine Capability) - Case study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Visual Inspection - Capability Study on Attribute Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
M Capability Study on Extruded Alumin(i)um - How would one define a "batch"? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Capability Study Template Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
C Capability Study Required as a Condition to Adopt a Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
S Process Capability Study for Electrostatic Powder Coating Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Process Capability Sheet for a short term 30 piece study needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Capability Study for Radii of laser cut pockets - 0.030" radius Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
V Machine short term capability study with Cmk index in automotive industry Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
A How do you identify your heat treat capability study samples? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E Capability study on true position callout. What would be the upper and lower spec? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K Format for presenting capability study results? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7