Capability study with a minimum spec

qcman

Registered Visitor
Hoping for some help on this. How do you do a capability study on something that has a minimum spec only? In this case it is a minimum coating thickness of .236mil I normally use QImacro to run the numbers and while I have yet to learn Minitab I do have that.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
If it were me, and assuming that a 'less than zero' coating thickness is not possible, I would do a GRR on a spec range of 0.000-0.236mil and see if that closed the discussion.
Then adjust the scale to 0.230-0.236mil, how's that?

Do you have any operator measurements within 0.005 mil of the minimum?
Are you riding the line, or is this a numbers exercise when your mean coating is 0.527mil?

What is the resolution of your measuring equipment?

qcman

Registered Visitor
Spec is .236mil min coating so any less is NG. Attached are the numbers (2 place reading) that I am working with. We target .25 as more just wasteful.

Attachments

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Have a look at Miner's blog ... look specifically for one-sided spec...
@Miner covers this far better than I could... I was waiting for him to chime in, but he hasn't so far. He may yet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
S Machine Setup for a CNC Machine Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
G Capability Study for Tapped Hole Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
G Plotting capability study data - I have a bimodular data distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
V Generic requirements regarding capability study in automotive Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
M IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Excel Template for Cgk Study wanted (Capability Gauges Study) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
ncwalker Process Capability Study - Aggregate vs. Individual Processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
KyloDen Capability Study and Qualifying a Supplier Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
B Capability Study => Check %Study Variance and NDC? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
B Conflict between department of MSA and Capability Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J How to determine a Capability Study for Low-Volume Suppliers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
S What is Cc? Capability Study on Key Critical Dimensions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
L Capability Study for a Honing Machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
A Inspection Capability Study (Kappa Analysis / Attribute R&R) as Certification Req't Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
C Subgroup Size in Minitab for Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
O One Cavity Mold Prototype Capability Study and PPAP Approval APQP and PPAP 1
G How to calculate Subgroup Size for Machine Capability Study Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
V How to calculate Machine Capability Study using Minitab Using Minitab Software 4
V JCI standard numbers of pieces required for Capability Study? APQP and PPAP 2
T Industry Standards for # of parts for Capability Study and Layout FAI's? APQP and PPAP 4
D AIAG 4th Edition Capability Study and Gage R&R Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
P Capability Study for a Specific Thickness of Rubber Sheeting Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
Q When to use Cpk or Ppk for a Process Capability Study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
O Capability Study on Continual Arbitrary Dimension Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
J Attribute Data and Capability Study of Holes in Parts Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
D Process Capability Study which involves MMC (Maximum Material Condition) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
A Yearly MSA (Measurement System Analysis) & Capability Study - TS 16949 Requirements Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Process Capability - Interview Case Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
A Process Capability Study using Variables Data (weight of the product) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Capability Study on a New Machining Process - Issues Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 40
S Does anyone know what is involved in a HiPot capability study? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
A Process Capability study of CNC Machining Process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q Machine Capability Study - Cpk (Cmk) of an R/F testing machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
B MSA (Gage R&R) vs. Capability Cpk Study - Helium Leak Check Station Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Machine GR&R (Gage R&R) - Capability Study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
M Cmk (Machine Capability) - Case study Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
Barahir Visual Inspection - Capability Study on Attribute Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
M Capability Study on Extruded Alumin(i)um - How would one define a "batch"? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
A Capability Study Template Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
C Capability Study Required as a Condition to Adopt a Sampling Plan? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
sridharafep Process Capability Study for Electrostatic Powder Coating Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
J Process Capability Sheet for a short term 30 piece study needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
B Capability Study for Radii of laser cut pockets - 0.030" radius Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 15
V Machine short term capability study with Cmk index in automotive industry Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
A How do you identify your heat treat capability study samples? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
E Capability study on true position callout. What would be the upper and lower spec? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K Format for presenting capability study results? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Manix Initial Capability study on N50 parts - Subgroup Size? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5