Capturing temporary actions in PFMEA in terms of manpower, lessons learned

H

Hipolit

Dear All,
Does any one have experience in capturing temporary actions in process FMEA?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Duke Okes

Dear All,
Does any one have experience in capturing temporary actions in process FMEA?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Not sure what you're looking for but lessons learned would only show up in an FMEA if the product/process were changed as a result of that learning. The change would simply be reflected as reduced S, O or D, with associated change description.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Not sure what you're looking for but lessons learned would only show up in an FMEA if the product/process were changed as a result of that learning. The change would simply be reflected as reduced S, O or D, with associated change description.
Lessons learned might not "show up" explicitly at all. I can use what I learned in process "A" (or something I learned 20 years ago) to inform the S-O-D ratings in a new PFMEA for process "B."

H

Hipolit

First of all I would like to know your opinion if it’s worth to put Temporary Actions in the PFMEA. Secondly if you did placed it into PFMEA, how much time, manpower it took?
I my case a Temporary Action is an extra operation (not mentioned in standard Work Instruction) performed on the workstation after quality problem or customer complaint. Time frame for Temporary Action is 3 months, after that process change has to be implemented or action is stopped without process change.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
First of all I would like to know your opinion if it’s worth to put Temporary Actions in the PFMEA. Secondly if you did placed it into PFMEA, how much time, manpower it took?
I my case a Temporary Action is an extra operation (not mentioned in standard Work Instruction) performed on the workstation after quality problem or customer complaint. Time frame for Temporary Action is 3 months, after that process change has to be implemented or action is stopped without process change.
If the operation is going to go on for 90 days, it should be addressed in the control plan, and if it's addressed in the control plan you should do the PFMEA first.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
If the operation is going to go on for 90 days, it should be addressed in the control plan, and if it's addressed in the control plan you should do the PFMEA first.
I think if it is only for 90 days, perhaps a Quality Alert might suffice. It would not get the PPAP process involved. It may depend on what your customer wants, and perhaps on the significance of the action.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I think if it is only for 90 days, perhaps a Quality Alert might suffice. It would not get the PPAP process involved. It may depend on what your customer wants, and perhaps on the significance of the action.
If a process other than the one that's been approved (via PPAP) is being used, the customer will have to be notified in any case. It'll be the customer's call as to whether PPAP is required or not. You can't circumvent the system by calling a change in the process a "quality alert."

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
If a process other than the one that's been approved (via PPAP) is being used, the customer will have to be notified in any case. It'll be the customer's call as to whether PPAP is required or not. You can't circumvent the system by calling a change in the process a "quality alert."
But Quality Alerts are frequently and routinely used for short term, temporary process changes. In many cases, it would take more than 90 days to get a PPAP change approved. Isn't this a common practice in your circles? I do agree that the customer shoould be notified, and concur. But, I am not sure I would expect a PPAP or control plan change in this example.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
But Quality Alerts are frequently and routinely used for short term, temporary process changes.
In many cases, it would take more than 90 days to get a PPAP change approved. Isn't this a common practice in your circles?
My own circle knows nothing about this sort of thing, but I'm speaking from a customer perspective, and a customer that doesn't take 90 days to approve PPAPs, especially when a supplier is under the gun. I suppose this could be common practice with the B3, but it sounds very tacky to me.

I do agree that the customer shoould be notified, and concur. But, I am not sure I would expect a PPAP or control plan change in this example.
If you notify the customer, which is required, and they want a PPAP submission, they should be informed that if there's undue delay, there will be undue delay in getting parts to them. It's possible, and maybe even likely, that the customer will assent to the temporary change without a lot of paperwork flying around, but it's their choice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
N Best practices for capturing audit objective evidence in a practical manner? Internal Auditing 3
K Capturing local government development/planning activities in aspect register ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
S What is the process of capturing "oral" customer complaints? Customer Complaints 9
M Capturing Issues of Devices Past Lifetime Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M NCR and Cost Collection - Capturing nonconformances in the field Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
C Gage R&R Sample Selection Methodologies - Capturing "normal process variation" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
R Capturing Non-Product Related and Internal Systems NCR / Complaint Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
F Capturing Lessons Learned from a CAPA - One Point Lessons Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
P GM TWO (Temporary Work Order) - Is there a specific GM format for the TWO# to be sent with the material? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M FDA News USFDA Proposes to End Temporary Extension of GUDID’s Grace Period Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
C How to Control Temporary Inspections Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
G More on IATF 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.6.1.1 (Temporary Process Control Change) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 24
T Temporary Change of Process Controls - IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.5.1.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.6.1.1 - Temporary Change of Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
A Safety Shoes & Temporary Workers - Is it correct to reuse again or not? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 11
S Temporary Facility Used For Production - Use of existing Third Party Logos ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
P Seconded Staff and Temporary Assignments Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
A Temporary Change of Manufacturing Site - Notified Body Notification Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Temporary Control of Scrap at the Machines while the Process is Running Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
P NQA-1 Requirement 17 Quality Records - Facility Types and Temporary Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
R Minitab for I-MR - Monitoring Process on Temporary Basis & Temporary Limits Using Minitab Software 6
ScottK Are Temporary Employees considered Employees from a Procedural Standpoint? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 19
P How to specify criteria for TECN (Temporary Engineering Change Notice) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
C Temporary employment agencies for temporary quality engineers and/or quality managers Career and Occupation Discussions 3
F Developing a corporate GMP/Quality training program for temporary workers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
C Temporary Laborer Training Requirements - 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S Temporary worker within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J Looking for examples of "Temporary Change Request" form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
SteelMaiden Signs of the Times? Temporary Staffing and Mini-Storage Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
C What should a temporary, remote location have in place to ensure OSHA compliance? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 14
M Temporary Process Change Form needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
M Temporary Deviation Procedure Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C Training Requirements for Temporary Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Temporary Employees Training and Employee Retention suggestions needed Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 38
P Evaluation of personnel suppliers (Contract / Temporary - Engineers) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
I Temporary Bandit, Ad Hoc or Rogue Records, Forms, Data, Documents - How to Justify Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 30
Q Documented actions and changes in the QMS by COVID 19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
S ISO 9001 7.1.5.2 - Actions Taken When Measuring Equipment is Found to be Unfit for Use General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
Q Do we have to document all corrections and corrective actions in ISO 9001 10.2.2 ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
E Different types of Actions? CARs, OFIs or N/A ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
F Vigilance Reporting - Requirements for manufacturer Field Corrective Actions (FCAs) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
I Audit Nonconformances - Can reported corrective actions be incomplete? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8