CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
That is called CORRECTION....;)

That is called CORRECTIVE ACTION, to be entered in field 25 in the form. Which MUST address the identified ROOT CAUSE for the nonconformity.

Was not trying to tell him how to fill out the form but providing a map or hints of what need to be done.

AndyN

Moved On
second one - What is the company going to do to prevent this from happening again i.e. better plan, training, schedule - effective auditing to all requirements according to the companies established requirements.

If the plan is for ISO 9001:2015 not to change for the next 10 years, will anyone remember?

AndyN

Moved On
Hi Andy,
No problem. Here is the exact wording:
During an AS9100D surveillance audit conducted the week of April 16, 2018, the following minor finding (JG-01) was made: Statement of nonconformity: Requirement 9.2.1: The organization shall conduct internal audits at planned intervals to provide information on whether the quality management system (a) conforms to: 1. the organization's own requirements for it quality management system, and 2. the requirements of the AS9100D (this international standard). Objective evidence: No evidence was provided to show that all requirements of the Purchasing process (ie: 8.4.3) and all QMS requirements of AS9100D Section 4, 5 and 6 were audited. Internal audit procedure QP9-005 details use of Internal Audit Record QF1-1600. This Audit Record is currently not in use.

I'd ask "so what?". Do all requirements of the Purchasing process HAVE to be audited? Does QF1-1600 HAVE to be used? Do ALL requirements of 4, 5 & 6 HAVE to be audited (or indeed can be audited at that date)? I'm thinking this auditor is looking for things to report to show they did an audit. Very little here to help anyone not involved understand the real issue.

In 2018, CB auditors shouldn't be reporting "You didn't follow procedure" type nonconformities. Where's the effectiveness of this reported? Was the effectiveness of the Purchasing process audited. Frankly, I'd be asking the CB for my money back if this is all they managed to discover/report.

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sorry for the delayed reply, however you were absolutely correct Audit Coordinator I was referring to the previous Quality Manager……….

……….and yes you are also correct, this forum has a great collection of very kind, knowledgeable and helpful people. :)

T

TrustAuto1

Audit Coordinator; I would have hired Andy as a consultant for transitioning from rev. c to rev. d LOL !!!!!

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
I could see the cause being "failure to retain organizational knowledge."

The MR was on his way out, he was the one that went to meet with the registrar and planned the transition. I wonder why there was not another party involved, perhaps even the "audit coordinator", in the spirit of cross-training.

What (I believe) you need to prevent is only one person having the key knowledge to your company's management system.

An aside:
If you don't correct the cause, you correct the symptom, and the problem is still there, IME.

Audit Coordinator

Involved In Discussions
I could see the cause being "failure to retain organizational knowledge."

The MR was on his way out, he was the one that went to meet with the registrar and planned the transition. I wonder why there was not another party involved, perhaps even the "audit coordinator", in the spirit of cross-training.

What (I believe) you need to prevent is only one person having the key knowledge to your company's management system.

An aside:
If you don't correct the cause, you correct the symptom, and the problem is still there, IME.

An insightful post - you're right about the failure to retain organizational knowledge and that's part of what I put on the root cause. One of our weakness here is that the lines of communication are horrible. The left hand (engineering and production) doesn't know what the right hand (QA) is doing, or vice versa.....
Haven't heard back yet from the CB to see if all the CARs have been accepted yet or not but I'm hopeful that the one I submitted will be, thanks to the help I received here. :thanks:
I am so grateful for this forum - keep up the good work on helping others with quality issues. We're all better for it! :agree1:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
An insightful post - you're right about the failure to retain organizational knowledge and that's part of what I put on the root cause. One of our weakness here is that the lines of communication are horrible. The left hand (engineering and production) doesn't know what the right hand (QA) is doing, or vice versa.....
Haven't heard back yet from the CB to see if all the CARs have been accepted yet or not but I'm hopeful that the one I submitted will be, thanks to the help I received here. :thanks:
I am so grateful for this forum - keep up the good work on helping others with quality issues. We're all better for it! :agree1:

In most places the next time QA and engineering get together will be the first time. We frequently have engineering design things that can't be inspected. :)

Top Bottom