CAR is not good enough! Operator Error!

Melissa

Starting to get Involved
Hello All,
I have a problem that I'm looking for some insight too or ideas...

Long story short we are a contract mfg. -- meaning we mfg. products that others have designed. We have been manufacturing a specific product for years with no complaints - recently we got a new employee on the machine, in the last 2 weeks i have gotten 2 complaints. Obviously my "customer" wants me to fix this. We determined it was operator error. (yes i opened a car) Well, the customer said retraining is ONLY PART of a corrective action for them. I understand that's my customer, but that's obviously not good enough for them. I guess I don't know what to tell them -- or some ideas i can do...

The best way to describe a product is (medical device) One time usage adhesive with no liner, and the liner was still on the adhesive.

I am improving the process by extended the line of sight to operator can see that liner has came off properly.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I am improving the process by extended the line of sight to operator can see that liner has came off properly.
This is still relying on the same operator.

Ideally, you want to eliminate the possibility of recurrence. But if that's not possible due to materials/methods required, then detection controls (i.e., inspection) would make sense.

The customer would probably want to see a separate inspection process step performed by a second person, maybe with a signoff record.

William55401

Quite Involved in Discussions
Think about your CAPA in a more granular fashion. What was the root cause of how the defect was created? What are the actions to eliminate defect creation? What was the root cause of the failure of your firm to detect the issue prior to shipping to your customer? What are the actions to eliminate the gaps in defect detection?

Yes, the new operator has a role. However, your org must design a robust process (including inspections / verifications) that ensures quality product for your customer. Your current training reliant solution is not robust. What happens when the new person moves on? Do you have a complete end to end solution that ensure your customer is not aware of a new operator?

Hope this helps. Have fun. Enjoy the ride!

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Hello All,
I have a problem that I'm looking for some insight too or ideas...

Long story short we are a contract mfg. -- meaning we mfg. products that others have designed. We have been manufacturing a specific product for years with no complaints - recently we got a new employee on the machine, in the last 2 weeks i have gotten 2 complaints. Obviously my "customer" wants me to fix this. We determined it was operator error. (yes i opened a car) Well, the customer said retraining is ONLY PART of a corrective action for them. I understand that's my customer, but that's obviously not good enough for them. I guess I don't know what to tell them -- or some ideas i can do...

The best way to describe a product is (medical device) One time usage adhesive with no liner, and the liner was still on the adhesive.

It seems that you are still posting about your previous enquiry @ Complaint about Adhesive and I am not sure why you would create another thread. In my estimation, Ninja's post #7 of that thread pretty much summed up what can be done. Yes, there are ways to get closer to 0 DPPM, but all of them will involve additional costs and/or increased lead time. There is no perfect, defect-free process in the world. You can play the corrective action game with your unreasonable customer and dream of mistake proofing the process even more, but are they willing to bear the additional costs?

Danisa

Starting to get Involved
Hi,
My supplier always hire many temporary operators/ workers and we are facing many issues related.
I have to say that training is almost no many meanings and you can't assure the defect will not be escaped to customer in future.
Double checking, sampling checking by QA, periodic evaluation the operators and evaluating their skills by making the defective samples then input mass-production to see whether they can detect or not. Those actions I have applied and some cases they can help.
In addition, the most importance is you have to investigate exactly why this defect happened and you will find out the effective action.
Hopefully, this can help you,
Best regards!

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
We determined it was operator error.
Who was involved in this "we?" Was the operator involved in this process where he ends up being the identified root cause?

Melissa said:
...the customer said retraining is ONLY PART of a corrective action for them. I understand that's my customer, but that's obviously not good enough for them.
Retraining is a correction, in my opinion, not corrective action. It's like taking cough syrup to help a cold's cough go away and merely masks the symptoms - the cold remains. Corrective action is understanding why the cold was caught in the first place and taking steps to reduce the likelihood of catching a cold again.

Melissa said:
Why are you doing this? Is the WHY driving this action addressed as a root cause on your CAR?

Melissa

Starting to get Involved
Operator was involved in the process of his error being the root cause.

Yes the WHY is driving this action -- the problem is the liner, the operator must be able to see -- and before was unable to see far enough which is what also caused the error, not looking down the web far enough and to make that happen we will be placing a mirror to reflect the part.
This is still relying on the same operator.

Ideally, you want to eliminate the possibility of recurrence. But if that's not possible due to materials/methods required, then detection controls (i.e., inspection) would make sense.

The customer would probably want to see a separate inspection process step performed by a second person, maybe with a signoff record.

There really is no way to double check it as the product ends in a roll and it would be more expensive to have someone babysit for 8 hours. We are unable to move this operator.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
There really is no way to double check it as the product ends in a roll and it would be more expensive to have someone babysit for 8 hours. We are unable to move this operator.
If that is the case, then per ISO 13485:
7.5.6 Validation of processes for production and service provision
The organization shall validate any processes for production and service provision where the resulting output cannot be or is not verified by subsequent monitoring or measurement and, as a consequence, deficiencies become apparent only after the product is in use or the service has been delivered.
(italics added)

blackholequasar

The Cheerful Diabetic
IMHO if the operator is not able to perform the job function at a quality level, they should be moved from that operation. What is the cost going to be when you lose the customer due to quality issues? Your facility is either unable or unwilling; both of those situations need to be seriously weighed out. I know that I have had quality concerns with my vendors and when they refuse to make changes, I find a new vendor. And likewise, my customer can do the same to me.

I would have a serious conversation on how far your company really wants to take the issue because it sounds like you're chalking it up to "the operator sucks" and quite inflexible about a resolution.

It reminds me of a quote I have hanging at my desk: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G CAR & 5Whys Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 21
Marc Mule Car aka Body Mule Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Electric Car circa 1898 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
T Closing out CAR while waiting for design change Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
C Supplier blowing off CAR request Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
J When to Initiate a CAR (Corrective Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
5 Expediting Internal Corrective Action Requests (CAR) Closures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
L Packaging Issues Resulted CAR by customer Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M I need Audit Checklists for nearly all Car suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
R ISO 13485 Validation and CAR Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Having a hard time closing CAR/ PAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
L Is a CAR addressed to your customer the best way to communicate with? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Marc NHTSA - Crash imminent braking and dynamic brake support to its New Car Assessment World News 1
Marc Car Navigation Systems - Dedicated or Smartphone? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
L Customer requies 'Jet Test' on a Car Part (Electronics Connectors) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur China breaks world record for car sales in 2013 ! World News 1
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
W What Are Some Online Car Auction Websites? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
R MSA is similar to driving a car? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Car Talk Traffic Tickets Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
M So you want an internet ready car? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
B Combining a CAR, an NCR, and an Accident Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Should CAR be issued when the KPI is not achieved ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Supplier CAR response scoring Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
P Differences between an NCR and CAR Internal Auditing 35
T Do Customer Returns = NCR and CAR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Good Formats to use for CAR's/CAPA's for Safety Issues or Injuries Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M Audit Interview as Evidence to issue a CAR (Corrective Action Request) General Auditing Discussions 13
S Customer CAR request after waiting 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
T World Class Supplier Quality Alert System CAR/SCAR By Email Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B Shall issue CAR when KPI fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Shall we raise SCAR/CAR for every defect as per our current procedure? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
J Which process is used to make Car Tires Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Acceptable Time to provide proof of CAR (Corrective Action Report) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
A Who should be the CAR owner & Who is involved with RCA, CAPA plan & CAPA evaluation? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
N Combining Multiple CARs (Corrective Action Request) into One CAR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
P Suggestions for Europe in a Week - By Car Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 4
M Operator Mistakes (Errors) and responding to CAR (Corrective Action Requests) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 20
M Vinyl and Cloth Cut Parts Tolerances? (Car Seats) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8