Car Navigation Systems - Dedicated or Smartphone?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
My very old Tom-Tom finally bit the dust.

Looking for comments and recommendations. I have thought of biting the bullet, so to speak, and getting an iPhone 6 Plus - Screen size is important these days to me, although I really hate the idea of carrying around such a big thing just for a phone. Which is why I'm considering a dedicated GPS for the car - One with a 5" or 7" screen.

I have read some good reviews for the Tom-Tom app for iPhone. Any other app(s) you are using for navigation, or has anyone here used the Tom-Tom app?

Your thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I just use the native app that comes with the iPhone. Works fine. Also, the maps are always updated without paying for newer maps (i.e., Garmin et al).

Just be aware that any smart phone app will use data. If you use it a lot or for a cross country drive, it could put you over plan.

I have used various mapping apps on my iPhone 4 and I don't really like it. I'm considering getting another Garmin (but then I can also use it on my motorcycle and be able to see it better). I'm trying an iPod Touch as the nav unit, because if I'm navigating and I get or need to make a call, how do you use the nav app? (I don't have hands free Bluetooth phone connectivity)

Marc

Staff member
Admin
<snip> Just be aware that any smart phone app will use data. If you use it a lot or for a cross country drive, it could put you over plan.
I forgot about that aspect. I got an iPad a few years ago and got the "WiFi only" model because I didn't want a data plan as my intended use was/is only for WiFi stuff. To be honest I rarely use it for anything anymore at home. Now and again when I have to see a doctor or have to take someone someplace and wait for them, I do have an app that does movies so I have some movies stashed on it (iPad 3, I think, on it's original OS),

I really don't use many apps on my old iPhone 4 - I haven't even updated it to iOS 7 (and it's not updatable to iSO 8).

When I was looking at prices on some GPS units for cars, I saw a good one is around US$300+

I was looking at the Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD

and the Garmin Nuvi 2689LMT (about US$270) comes with:Garmin Nuvi 2689 Automotive GPS with Lifetime Maps, Vehicle Power Cable with built-in Traffic Receiver, Windshield Suction Cup Mount, USB Cable, Quick Start Manual and a One-Year Warranty. Size:7.7"W x 4.4"H x 0.7"D

and the Magellan RoadMate 9250T-LMB 7-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Maps and Traffic Alerts (about US$220).

The data plan is scaring me away from a phone. Then again - A lot of places out west you can't even get cell phone reception - How do cell phone GPS apps work in that type of scenario? Anyone know?

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
I use a dedicated Garmin, since my cataract surgery my near vision is useless without my reading glasses, so I need a big screen (and a loud voice) telling me where to go - :)
I put in a dashmount for it so it is nice and close and solidly mounted , works great.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Which model Garmin do you use?

Same here with eye problems. I need glasses for near vision.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Marc,

My Ford factory-fitted SatNav by TomTom (on an SD card) is brilliant.

It includes timely lane information which is important to me.

It has made all my other navigation devices redundant (except my wife of course!)

And it improves my use of the Smith System for defensive driving.

John

Attachments

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sorry, Its a Magellan Roadmaster (see what I mean about my near vision).
Definitely lower end, but that wasnt my consideration, seeing it and more importantly, hearing it, was.

P

PaulJSmith

I had one of the smaller Tom-Tom units up until last summer ... when the suction cup mount failed and it took a dive off of my motorcycle and landed face-down on the pavement of I-70 one evening. I keep thinking of getting a new, bigger replacement, but can't bring myself to spend the $300-ish for a good one.

I liked the Tom-Tom, but the Garmins look good, too.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Marc, I HIGHLY recommend the Google Maps (free) app with an iPhone, especially if you can connect it via Bluetooth to your car system. The only question is your network coverage and how much data you will use. It provides real-time traffic conditions

As for the screen size issue, I really like the voice commands, so you don't have to pay too much attention to the screen, as taking your eyes off the road represents a real problem.

But, if you can wait a few years, we should have the self-driving cars commercially available in 3 to 5 years.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Car GPS Navigation Unit Recomendations Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
Marc Mule Car aka Body Mule Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Electric Car circa 1898 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
T Closing out CAR while waiting for design change Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
C Supplier blowing off CAR request Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
J When to Initiate a CAR (Corrective Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
5 Expediting Internal Corrective Action Requests (CAR) Closures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
L Packaging Issues Resulted CAR by customer Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M I need Audit Checklists for nearly all Car suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
R ISO 13485 Validation and CAR Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Having a hard time closing CAR/ PAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
L Is a CAR addressed to your customer the best way to communicate with? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Marc NHTSA - Crash imminent braking and dynamic brake support to its New Car Assessment World News 1
L Customer requies 'Jet Test' on a Car Part (Electronics Connectors) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur China breaks world record for car sales in 2013 ! World News 1
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
W What Are Some Online Car Auction Websites? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
R MSA is similar to driving a car? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Car Talk Traffic Tickets Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
M So you want an internet ready car? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
B Combining a CAR, an NCR, and an Accident Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Should CAR be issued when the KPI is not achieved ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Supplier CAR response scoring Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
P Differences between an NCR and CAR Internal Auditing 9
T Do Customer Returns = NCR and CAR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Good Formats to use for CAR's/CAPA's for Safety Issues or Injuries Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M Audit Interview as Evidence to issue a CAR (Corrective Action Request) General Auditing Discussions 13
S Customer CAR request after waiting 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
T World Class Supplier Quality Alert System CAR/SCAR By Email Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B Shall issue CAR when KPI fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Shall we raise SCAR/CAR for every defect as per our current procedure? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
J Which process is used to make Car Tires Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Acceptable Time to provide proof of CAR (Corrective Action Report) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
A Who should be the CAR owner & Who is involved with RCA, CAPA plan & CAPA evaluation? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
N Combining Multiple CARs (Corrective Action Request) into One CAR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
P Suggestions for Europe in a Week - By Car Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 4
Mr.Happy Operator Mistakes (Errors) and responding to CAR (Corrective Action Requests) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 20
M Vinyl and Cloth Cut Parts Tolerances? (Car Seats) Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
N Do I Need to Write a CAR for..... (All Opinions Wanted :) ) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7