CAR/PAR (Corrective Action / Preventive Action) Systems - How to Centralize?

B

Bryan

CAR/PAR Systems

During our ISO Audits we always seem to get a ding on our CAR/PAR system. So again we are reviewing our system. We recently have started a change to a more centralized process, (CAR Coordinator, Master log for tracking, Central file of closed CARS). I am looking into ideas of what others do in there systems to make it sucessful?? How is tracking done, how to get internal/ external replies in a timely manor, control of the system. One of our weak areas is participation/response.

Also, to help me understand PARS more correctly, how are PARS generated from CARS ??

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. And I thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
G

George Trybulski

I have a fairy good system using Microsoft Access. You name it and it will track it including printing out CARs, (I'm not familar with PARs ) but will generate SCARS, Waivers, Deviation reports.It can be customized to include any critera that your systems tracks. As to timely responses, persistance is the only answer ! If you want more info, contatt me at [email protected]

A

Andy Bassett

I dont know how big you are. But i once saw in a fairly big Auotmotive Manufacturer a centralied system whereby problems were logged into a system, distributed to the correct person and booked out again when they were solved.

The advantage is that you can weekly/monthly publish a statistics of which person/dept/area has the most amount of open points. This tends to help.

I tried to implement this in a company of 200 people and it was a complete administrative pain.

I am also interested to hear of other peoples solutions.

Regards

A

Andy Bassett

I forgot to mention that in a smaller comopany i am currently implementing a system whereby red 'Suspect' stickers are printed on a role in twos (ie two stickers with the same Serial number) and placed in the manufacturing area.

When a suspect part is located one sticker is put on the part directly, and the other is placed on the left-hand column of a A3 sheet alos located in the production area. QC are responsible for noting by hand on the A3 sheet the CA/PA, although as ever the difference between the two is fiercely debated.

------------------
Andy B

L

LLamb

During our last third party audit, it was suggested that we add something to our CAR system and CAR form to include preventive action. What does anyone suggest or think about this. How can we add this in? Is it a requirement?

L

LLamb

Perhaps my question is related to Bryan's original question; How do you generate PAR's from CAR's?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Preventive Action again rears its ugly head!

I would suggest we take a brief tour of What is a Preventive action.

Ley's look at:
http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000016.html and
http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000036.html and
http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum31/HTML/000000.html

In the 'old' days, you did a preventive action in a corrective action. It meant "What will you do to prevent this (or this type) of problem from recurring?" The definition has since widened a bit. But - read thru the links and let's see what questions arise.

L

Laura M

Breifly read through old threads. Some correspond to a recent Lead Assessor course I took which stated that the only "true" preventative action is regarding something that hasn't happened yet. PFMEA's, training, quality planning, "preventative" maintenance, etc were the sited requirements (QS) that were preventative. When I stated that I thought analysis of a "corrective action" and looking at similar products that it hasn't happened on "yet" was preventative, and I was told "not really" ...that would still be taking action on something that has already occurred.

For discussion:
I guess my next question then would be "does it really matter"...is it all part of continuous improvement regardless of what we call it? If PFMEA's are a typically produced document as evidence of preventative action, and since PFMEA's aren't a part of the ISO requirements, what did those folks have in mind? AND, are PFMEA's really PREVENTATIVE, when typically similar past processes are looked at for occurance data? mmmmm Just trying to stir up some debate.

B

Bryan

Thank you all for your feedback.
Marc, you asked about what the dings were.
First these were just minor dings. We received two, one for lack of writting CAR's, (it was felt CAR's written were small compaired to the number of NCR's written, company participation) and two, not having a very controlled system. (it was felt unorginized with each dept trying to handle and control there own CAR's, to many locations of filing CARs.) Recommendation was to have a more centralized system. Thats what brought on the question of what others may be doing in a centralized system.

We have the same trouble with PAR's, getting people to write them. Company participation.

Looking for something successful on both these.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V CAR (Corrective Action Request) vs. PAR (Preventive Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
B CAR/PAR (Corrective Action / Preventive Action) process flow - Seeking example Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
S Having a hard time closing CAR/ PAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
J Best way to store NCP and CAR and PAR Records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
Q Why make them different - CAR and PAR and NCR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
J Knowledge of CAR/PAR Procedures - Should the entire organization know/understand? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Rating Nonconformance's - Auditor said we should update our procedure (CAR/PAR) Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 12
ScottK PAR (Preventive Action Request) and CAR forms - Can I get some feedback on mine? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Marc Mule Car aka Body Mule Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
Marc Electric Car circa 1898 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
T Closing out CAR while waiting for design change Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
C Supplier blowing off CAR request Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
E CAR (Corrective Action Request) Due Dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
P Tactics to work with Design Engineering on CAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
J When to Initiate a CAR (Corrective Action Request) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
K Internal Audit CAR - How Long for Responses to be Received? Internal Auditing 8
5 Expediting Internal Corrective Action Requests (CAR) Closures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
A Audit Finding - CAPA, Improvement Initiatives not filed in CAR System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Registrar Charges Per CAR Written Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
L Packaging Issues Resulted CAR by customer Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M I need Audit Checklists for nearly all Car suppliers Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
R ISO 13485 Validation and CAR Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L Is a CAR addressed to your customer the best way to communicate with? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Marc NHTSA - Crash imminent braking and dynamic brake support to its New Car Assessment World News 1
Marc Car Navigation Systems - Dedicated or Smartphone? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 17
L Customer requies 'Jet Test' on a Car Part (Electronics Connectors) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur China breaks world record for car sales in 2013 ! World News 1
Mikishots How to handle CAR (Corrective Action Request) Scope vs. Timely Response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
W What Are Some Online Car Auction Websites? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
R MSA is similar to driving a car? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
AnaMariaVR2 Car Talk Traffic Tickets Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
M So you want an internet ready car? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
L Ethics Question in regard to a Regulatory Authority CAR Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
B Combining a CAR, an NCR, and an Accident Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Should CAR be issued when the KPI is not achieved ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Supplier CAR response scoring Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
P Differences between an NCR and CAR Internal Auditing 9
T Do Customer Returns = NCR and CAR? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
D Good Formats to use for CAR's/CAPA's for Safety Issues or Injuries Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M Audit Interview as Evidence to issue a CAR (Corrective Action Request) General Auditing Discussions 13
S Customer CAR request after waiting 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
T World Class Supplier Quality Alert System CAR/SCAR By Email Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B Shall issue CAR when KPI fail? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Shall we raise SCAR/CAR for every defect as per our current procedure? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
J Which process is used to make Car Tires Manufacturing and Related Processes 1