Careers in Auditing

C

cmoore4498

Hello!

Can someone please give me some advice...

I have an Associates Degree. I am scheduled to go to LA course this summer. This would be a good career move (I think). I would like to get into auditing. I know about the travel and the headaches, but hey, I am a masochist. I have 2 yrs as an auditor and a Mgt. Rep. at my company. I was a big part of initial cert. I have 10 other years of experience in QC/QA.

My question:

1. What chance do I have of getting work as a contractor with auditing firms?

2. If the answer to "1" is "ARE YOU SERIOUS??? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!", then what do I need to do??

I have a copy of the RAB LA packet, so I know about the audit hours, etc. I just need some advice. I love the travel (I live out of a suitcase now, and no that is not to say I live in a car, just travel a lot) and Quality is my bag. I will travel to get the hours (within reason, of course). My goal is to get the experience and the BS degree with the next 10 years (on line is the coming thing, UMaryland has a great program) and then go to work at a regular nine to five type of job at a automotive company.

What do I need to do? Is there any advice out there?

Thanks
Cmoore4498
Knoxville, TN

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Well, you contact registrars until you come up with one who will take you on.

There are other 'options'. Some cities have local audit 'consortiums' (usually an ASQC group) which can help. I have seen lots of folks offer their time for free just to get the hours/audits in.

What will happen is up to you as a person. I have seen people with really, really extensive, impressive resumes begging for hours and no registrar would touch them, while others seem to find a registrar to take them on quickly without a problem.

Part of the problem is ISO auditors are like ISO consultants (myself included) - they're a dime a dozen. I don't get as many e-mails and calls as I used to, but until about 2 years ago it was like the 1849 gold rush. Always somebody calling or writing and asking how to get into the ISO business (usually as an auditor, sometimes as a consultant).

What you want to do can be done, but you definitely have some work to do.

The others may also have some tips for you.

G

goose

I just returned from 55 Annual Quality Congress in Charlotte. Never seen so many Registrars in exhibit area. In a "feeding frenzie"; looking for clients,looking for auditors so apparently jobs are out there if you can find them.

Randy

Super Moderator
Well I guess I've jumped into the fire. I just signed with a registrar as an Independent Contractor. To tell you all the truth I have no idea what I'm getting in to.

Help!

R

Roger Eastin

I remember when you first asked about working for a registrar! I think, like any other job, you have to like to audit. That makes the traveling, working with the customers & your parent company, etc. worth it all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hershal Metrology Careers - Potential good Paying Jobs in the Science of Measurement Field Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Ideas for a Regulatory Careers presentation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Auditing of Support Function IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Randy Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
tony s What is the automotive process approach for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
R I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years General Auditing Discussions 10
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
J Recomended Values - Auditing process in a supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
M Canada - Registrars that allow e-auditing for ISO 9001? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
Ed Panek Supplier Auditing - No purchases from our key suppliers in the last 24 months ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Auditing "process validation" process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Effective Auditing advice needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Acceptance of remote auditing techniques - Can you help me with my research? General Auditing Discussions 0
GStough Auditing Against Criteria Unfamiliar to Auditee - Yea or Nay? General Auditing Discussions 11
Q Auditing Product and Services doubts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Auditing support and management processes General Auditing Discussions 7
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D MSDS / GHS Walk-through / Auditing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
Pmarszal Supplier Auditing Services (Audit Needed?) General Auditing Discussions 4
S ISO 9001 Audit Observations - Transitioning my career into auditing Career and Occupation Discussions 16
G AS9101 Rev F - Worksheets for internal auditing AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
N API Q2 clause 6.2.2.1 Auditing Outsourced Suppliers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M Auditing processes followed by employees placed on client's site Internal Auditing 4
S ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP internal auditing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
Richard Regalado ISMS Auditing Guideline V2 (based from ISO/IEC 27001:2013) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Auditing - Audit to the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18