Carton Boxes for Surface Mount Tape and Reel

C

CreMindES

Hi,

My company regularly sends electrical parts on reels for manufacturing and I'm are currently looking for carton boxes that are made for smt reels.

We rarely receive some reels in such boxes (first image in google for 'carton box for smt reels'). They are easy to handle, but so far I haven't really found any supplier.

Do you know of any place where we coud buy smaller quantities?

Thanks for you help.

P.S. if we don't find any, we'll use antistatic or ESD bags.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
I wish I could just say "contact this company, heres the phone#" but I can't.

I have found it very convenient to use a local packaging shop with cardboard die cutting service to simply fashion the boxes. In this way, they are a custom box and I can put logos, adjust sizes, etc. You may want to look into this approach.

If your counts are extremely low (like 5) you may find it easier and cheaper to simply hand-cut carboard sheeting into the shapes you desire. Take one of your rarely recieved boxes and unflod it to use as a template.

Packaging like this tends to be used infrequently enough that no one will mass advertise it.

Beyond this, ask your supplier of the SMT mounting ribbon...they may supply cartoning for the reels.

HTH

C

CreMindES

Thanks for your suggestion. Yeah, the case seemed like as you've told me.
Our volumes are quite low <50 at a time. This doesn't enough to order custom made ones, so we decided to use ESD bags simply.

Have a nice day and thanks again for sharing your though about this subject!

Kind regards, Tamás

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Thanks for your suggestion. Yeah, the case seemed like as you've told me.
Our volumes are quite low <50 at a time. This doesn't enough to order custom made ones, so we decided to use ESD bags simply.

Have a nice day and thanks again for sharing your though about this subject!

Kind regards, Tamás
The number of boxes per shipment is not the limiting factor, the number of boxes per year should be the consideration. You can get the type that have "fold marks" to make smaller sizes, rather than buy in several sizes. They're shipped flat to you. I always bought custom printed boxes - any added cost is more than made up in the marketing factor of being "somebody" instead of just "generic brown box." Mine were white with blue print and company logo. Oddly, they seemed to get better treatment (handling) at the customer. Your company name is always in front of the buyer as the boxes sit at work stations or in inventory.

I'd still bag in ESD before placing in box.

C

CreMindES

Thanks guys for the replies!

We only want to ship these reels to our PCB assembly company, so we only need a really small amount, maybe 100-300 pieces per 1-2 year.

Currently we pack these reels and other part to a big box with fillout material and send them. This way the safety of these part are satisfying, but labelling and tracking is not so efficient.

That's why we want to pack them in something separately, and choose ESD bags. Of course some custom made carton boxes would be better, but since it's not an option for now to such small quantities, we have to stick to this solution.

Thanks for every suggestion and if I find any company for the job in the future, I'll update you here.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
Howdy CreMindES,

It looks as though the decision is already made, but just in case...

If you haven't gotten a quote from a cardboard box mfr yet, you might want to look into it...the boxes are pretty cheap...especially compared to the cost of the loaded reel. I only go through ~200 or less per year, but my box costs come in at ~$2.00 per (no special logos or anything, just plain old white cardboard box).

There was a die charge up front of less than $100, but then just per piece after that. Don't rule it out based on an assumed high price for customization...said cost may not really be that high.

Best of Luck!

Top Bottom