Case Hardening and Case Depth Measurement

C

Curtis317

Not knowing a whole lot about case hardening and case depth I have some questions. Our engineering group wants to define a specific location to measure the case depth. My limited knowledge makes me wonder. If the whole part is case hardened would not the case depth be the same all the way around the part no matter what form it is?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Not knowing a whole lot about case hardening and case depth I have some questions. Our engineering group wants to define a specific location to measure the case depth. My limited knowledge makes me wonder. If the whole part is case hardened would not the case depth be the same all the way around the part no matter what form it is?
Not necessarily. Although selective case hardening is possible (hardening of a specific area of the part) it's more expensive than hardening the entire part. It sounds as though there is a specific area of concern on the part, and it wasn't considered cost-effective to do selective hardening.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
The case depth will vary according to the geometry of the part, the thermal mass of the part in the area being measured, and any pre-hardening that was done due to machining or working.

It is an EXCELLENT idea to identify a specific area in which to measure the case depth; that way there is less possibility of disagreement between yourself and your customer (been there, done that, got the t-shirt).

C

Curtis317

The part is about 6 inches long and has a large lobe on it that is 2.5 inches in diameter. It also has a long section that is @ 3/4 inches in diameter. Based on the response so far it seems that their would be more case hardening on the 3/4 " sections than the 2.5 in (1 inch thick) section correct?

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was not aware that configuration of product had an effect on depth of case hardening (heating the metal in a carbon-containing gas.) Case hardening is frequently done on gears .

I was of the impression depth of carburization of the metal was strictly a function of time and temperature. The subsequent quenching process also figures into the degree of hardness of the surface.

Case hardening is normally performed on mild steel to provide a hard wear surface while maintaining the low core strength of the mild steel.

To my knowledge, only mild steels are case hardened (they can't be through-hardened.) It makes economic sense where only the surface of the product needs to be hard for wear purposes because the mild steel is easier [less expensive] to machine than high carbon steel which can be through-hardened.

For a more definitive answer, I would consult a qualified metallurgist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ISO 9001:2015 case study sample ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Case study help as per ISO 9001: 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
M Case study solution help required as per ISO 9001 : 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Case study resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D Safety Assurance Case Report Format ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M Informational USFDA – Digital Health Update: The FDA Announces an Opportunity for Test Case Volunteers for the Test Plan for the Software Precertification Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Medicinal products and medical devices: Coordinated approach in case of a withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the Union without a deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Audit purpose - case study - What is the role of SQE in such case? General Auditing Discussions 3
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
I Cleanroom Actions in case of Actions Limit Alarm Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
L Benefits that the QA's gain with a Test Case Template Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Does ISO 10993 Apply to Packaging? (e.g. Travel Case) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
Z Is PPAP Re-qualification needed in case of not quoted dimension change? APQP and PPAP 4
J MDIC (Medical Device Innovation Consortium) and the "Case for Quality"? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J If/how to apply LVD (Low Voltage Directive) in this case CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
I Reaction plan in case of power outage Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R Medical Device Safety Assurance Case Reports Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
M Specific Capability case - Target Value is same as the Lower Limit Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
L Business case for an electronic EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Services) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
Ajit Basrur India marks three years since last polio case Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
L Need Help with Case Study Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
J Electronic Components inside a Wooden Case Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Certificate Suspension Necessary in case of No Production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Type of Materials to comply with IEC 60601 (Dental Laser Case) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L Printing Machine Make Ready Rapid Changeover Case Study Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
E Short Case Studies - Major/Minor Nonconformance, Observation or OK? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
somashekar What documented procedure in this case ... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Who is the Specification Developer in this case? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
B The Case for a 25-Hour Work Week Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Production Equipment Forms - Case study with ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
R LKV Value: Can not verify Reliasoft Case Study Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Business Case for ISMS (Information Security Management System) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
A AS9102 FAI Case Outline Difference AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P 7.1, 7.3 and APQP Requirements Applicability in Transfer Case IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
I Six Sigma Assignment Problem - Case Study: Productivity Improvement Six Sigma 2
W Applying ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 in Special Case - Oil Refinery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
V Manual of Procedure for Case of Emergencies Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 4
S Business Case for Process Mapping Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
B KPI = 0 - Accidents (Actual accident is 150 case/year) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
M Internal Warehouse Handling - A Reverse Logistic Case! Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
P Single Use Devices - Surgeon must have backup in stock, just in case? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
Y Advice on this real case on AQL (Acceptable Quality Level)? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
Sidney Vianna New Collection of International Case Studies proves Economic Benefits of Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
P Service Requests with multiple issues using CRM (Case Management) Customer Complaints 2
W Safety Assurance Case Report for a Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1