Case studies where Monte Carlo Simulation applied to Maintenance, uptime prediction

R

Ravi Khare

Does anyone have case studies where Monte Carlo Simulation is applied to Maintenance, uptime prediction and System Reliability? I would appreciate if there are any pointers to measured benefits at the bottom line.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Ravi Khare

No replies?

Looks like not too many share my interest in Monte Carlo simulation. I am afraid this thread is simply going to scroll down in obliviance without exploring the power of Monte Carlo Simulation.

Let me now invite you to discuss other applications and cases of Monte Carlo Simulation... not just maintenance this time.

Thanx

D

David Mullins

Is that like the China Syndrome?

Seriously, I'm assuming this is an alternative to risk assessment - the probability / likelihood of something haooening? Only risk assessment also looks at severity, remediation and reassessement

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
For an interesting application of the Monte Carlo Simulation, you might browse the meteor strike pattern on the planet Mercury. It is about the only application of Monte Carlo I know of. Sorry...

Kevin

R

Ravi Khare

Statistical Tolerancing is one very important application I know of Monte Carlo Simulation. You could relax tolerances on critical proceses without affecting Quality. You could also evaluate compensating tolerances to reduce overall costs.

Another application is the one I had written about initially. If you were able to predict the types of failures in equipments based on component reliability data, your spare stocking policies would yield more uptime, and at a lower cost too. The more you think about it, the potential appears to be enormous.

Any thoughts?? Or is it only my flight of fancy?

D

D.Scott

I don't think it is a flight of fancy. From what I've learned, the Monte Carlo Simulation is a powerful tool when you use it right. Trouble is, I don't know enough about it to actually discuss it intelligently. I wish I did. If you have a paper on it, or know of a link to a good explanation, please post it. I would really like to know more.

Dave

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Ravi,

I'm like Dave: short on knowledge on this topic. I am only familiar with it through my exposure while studying for the CQE. Before then, I hadn't heard of it. Since, I have heard it raised a few times, mostly in relation to scientific applications, the most memorable being a Nova program where the Monte Carlo Simulation was used to determine if the surface features came from the inside out or whether they came from the outside in (the study determined that the pattern of features best fit the Monte Carlo Simulation in relationship to meteor showers).

However, if you have written a paper on it, I would be interested in reading it (as would Dave). Mostly, organizations never get to doing basic statistics so getting to advance statistics is a pipe dream. There is plenty of power in these tools, just a limited exposure to them by business rendering them mostly impotent.

Your comment on relaxing critical tolerances without compromising Quality has really gotten my attention (recent, current need). We should continue this dialogue and allow you to expose/teach us a little more about this technique.

Regards,

Kevin

D

Dave W 2005

I work in a company that wouldn't know basic statistics if they bit them on the arse, but we are using monte-carlo simulation (even if in a limited application).
We are modelling how structural assemblies come together and applying nominal tolerances to the component parts. Several thousand computerised simulations later where we try and replicate the probabilities of achieving the tolerances; we have an output that tells us what the most likely tolerance stack will be (in most cases it tells us the parts were all dimensioned wrong in the first place).
It becomes a very powerful tool to demonstrate to Designers that their tolerancing strategies will not achieve a satisfactory finished assembly; and then there is the battle to get tolerances changed / redistributed.

Dave

A very practical and pragmatic book that might be helpful is "Decision Making Under Uncertainty" by John X. Wang.

He goes into depth on using Monte Carlo simulations in Excel.

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Your comment on relaxing critical tolerances without compromising Quality has really gotten my attention (recent, current need).
It piqued my curiosity too - until it was explained to me that the <ST> on a drawing can only be applied if you are in statistical control in the first place. If you are in statistical control, why do you need additional tolerance? Also the statistical approach for relaxing tolerances assumes a "zero mean shift" (which doesn't help my company - die casting/machining - at all!!)

I'm not trying to say there is no application for statistical tolerancing - I just don't see much application in our side of the manufacturing business. However, maybe I'm missing something.

Bill

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Short Case Studies - Major/Minor Nonconformance, Observation or OK? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
Sidney Vianna New Collection of International Case Studies proves Economic Benefits of Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A AS9100B Auditing Case Studies General Auditing Discussions 8
T Searching for 6 sigma case studies: medicines, manufacturing Six Sigma 6
P Six Sigma Case Studies and Exercise material for practice purpose. Six Sigma 12
V Interesting quiz, case studies or exercises for AS9120 needed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
B Case studies of 8D usage in non- automotive industries, administration areas needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 0
Q Looking for Case Studies for How to interpret the requirements of ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q Looking for Lean Office Resources - Lean Office case studies, books, references Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
M Complete 8D Reports, Case Studies, Tools Used - Seeking Examples Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
T Seeking Auditor Case Studies - ISO 14001 General Auditing Discussions 4
R Seeking Corrective Action Examples, Case studies - For Class ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Case in RR studies:Can we MARK the measurement point to reduce within part variation? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
S Seeking: Case Studies for internal auditor training Internal Auditing 5
D Safety Assurance Case Report Format ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
M Informational USFDA – Digital Health Update: The FDA Announces an Opportunity for Test Case Volunteers for the Test Plan for the Software Precertification Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Medicinal products and medical devices: Coordinated approach in case of a withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the Union without a deal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Audit purpose - case study - What is the role of SQE in such case? General Auditing Discussions 3
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K Student wanting Case Study about Internal Audit Report Internal Auditing 1
I Cleanroom Actions in case of Actions Limit Alarm Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
L Benefits that the QA's gain with a Test Case Template Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
M Does ISO 10993 Apply to Packaging? (e.g. Travel Case) Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
Z Is PPAP Re-qualification needed in case of not quoted dimension change? APQP and PPAP 4
J MDIC (Medical Device Innovation Consortium) and the "Case for Quality"? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J If/how to apply LVD (Low Voltage Directive) in this case CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
I Reaction plan in case of power outage Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
R Medical Device Safety Assurance Case Reports Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
M Specific Capability case - Target Value is same as the Lower Limit Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
L Business case for an electronic EMS (Electronic Manufacturing Services) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
C Case Hardening and Case Depth Measurement Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Ajit Basrur India marks three years since last polio case Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
L Need Help with Case Study Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
J Electronic Components inside a Wooden Case Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Certificate Suspension Necessary in case of No Production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
A Type of Materials to comply with IEC 60601 (Dental Laser Case) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L Printing Machine Make Ready Rapid Changeover Case Study Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
somashekar What documented procedure in this case ... ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Who is the Specification Developer in this case? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
B The Case for a 25-Hour Work Week Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Production Equipment Forms - Case study with ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 31
R LKV Value: Can not verify Reliasoft Case Study Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
M Business Case for ISMS (Information Security Management System) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
A AS9102 FAI Case Outline Difference AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
P 7.1, 7.3 and APQP Requirements Applicability in Transfer Case IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
I Six Sigma Assignment Problem - Case Study: Productivity Improvement Six Sigma 2