CE-Mark regulatory advice - US based Organization

Looking for some regulatory advice. We are trying to get CE mark for a class 2b device, we are US based. We are the legal manufacturer and do not have a QMS. Our real manufacturers are ISO 13485 certified.

Do we need to have a QMS in place before trying for CE mark?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
I would think it would be very difficult to sell in the EU without a QMS (unless I'm misunderstanding and you wouldn't legally be considered the manufacturer). Per EU MDR:

"The manufacturer shall establish, document and implement a quality management system as described in Article 10(9) and maintain its effectiveness throughout the life cycle of the devices concerned."

"‘manufacturer’ means a natural or legal person who manufactures or fully refurbishes a device or has a device designed, manufactured or fully refurbished, and markets that device under its name or trade mark;"

And from the European Medicines Agency:

"Manufacturers can place a CE (Conformité Européenne) mark on a medical device once it has passed a conformity assessment.

"The conformity assessment usually involves an audit of the manufacturer's quality system and, depending on the type of device, a review of technical documentation from the manufacturer on the safety and performance of the device."

Emphasis mine.

Ditto Zero yield - Based on my MDR audit experience with a company in a similar situation (no own manufacturing), there’s no chance of certification w/o a QMS. On the bright side, you can leverage your CM’s procedures for portions of it.

Ditto Zero yield - Based on my MDR audit experience with a company in a similar situation (no own manufacturing), there’s no chance of certification w/o a QMS. On the bright side, you can leverage your CM’s procedures for portions of it.
Thank you! So, best would be to carve out a QMS system then shoot for CE mark?

I would think it would be very difficult to sell in the EU without a QMS (unless I'm misunderstanding and you wouldn't legally be considered the manufacturer). Per

"The manufacturer shall establish, document and implement a quality management system as described in Article 10(9) and maintain its effectiveness throughout the life cycle of the devices concerned."

"‘manufacturer’ means a natural or legal person who manufactures or fully refurbishes a device or has a device designed, manufactured or fully refurbished, and markets that device under its name or trade mark;"

And from the

"Manufacturers can place a CE (Conformité Européenne) mark on a medical device once it has passed a conformity assessment.

"The conformity assessment usually involves an audit of the manufacturer's quality system and, depending on the type of device, a review of technical documentation from the manufacturer on the safety and performance of the device."

Emphasis mine.
Thank you! So, best would be to carve out a QMS system then shoot for CE mark?

Zero_yield

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
I'm not a CE mark expert, but that would be my recommendation from what I'm reading. I work for a company that maintains a CE mark on the products I'm involved with, and we have a QMS.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Class 2a CE Mark Regulatory Pathway CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
E EU Class 1s CE Mark Regulatory Pathway EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Can country-specific regulatory timelines be shortened if the device has a CE mark? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
JoCam Cost of maintaining CE Mark Regulatory Approval Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A CE Mark - Maintaining Technical File and Regulatory Assessment CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
T Changes in NRTL Mark affect Regulatory Approvals? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
A Medical Device including a smartphone - CE mark ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
V SaMD/MDSW - Class I - CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
H Is it a requirement for run charts to have inspection data or can it have just a pass/fail check mark Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
R Class I MDSW CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
A Class 2b medical device - best pathway to obtain CE mark? (2022, MDR 2017/745) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H Regarding EAC-MED mark Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
H Relation of VDE mark with CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
B Spare parts of medical device need CE mark? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K Not keeping CE mark for some devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
H Regarding the validity of EMC & Safety test reports without NABL & ILAC-MRA mark. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
G Remove & Reapply Laser Mark on Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
T Does marketing company require CE mark if manufacturer has CE mark on product? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Clinical trial requirements for UKCA mark in UK UK Medical Device Regulations 4
H Notified Body Number with CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
H Production Validation- CE Mark ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L CE Mark on Kit label AND inner label? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T CE-IVD mark on packaging EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Validity of CE mark on distributed product when company ceases trading EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T CE Marking - Bench mark Device from same manufacturer CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Violation of CE mark - Re-use of single-use Products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K One CE Mark holder - multiple manufacturing sites EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
F List of countries that 'prefer' a CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Surgical mask stability testing (CE mark) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Ed Panek CE Mark Requirements on Kits (off the shelf product requirements met) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
G UVC sterilizer CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M CE Mark and 510(k) -Global registration requirements for every country Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A CE Mark and PMCF study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T CE mark start date for a device EU Medical Device Regulations 7
P API monogram mark requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S CE Mark - Classification Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Until when can we CE-mark and sell MDD class 1 devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 23
N CE Mark for Class 1 medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
Y CE Mark - Placing the CE mark on medical device labels EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Vietnam requirement of CE mark for medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S CE mark on a medical device - Textile product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3