CE Marking and use of IEC 80002-1 for Risk Management of Stand Alone Software

M

Mahmood.M

hello to all

I'm new here. I'm glad that I can share my knowledge with you.
Here is a great forum.

now I'm working on the CE marking a standalone software.

We develop a software for ecg analysis. Class B according to IEC 62304
I want to know if IEC 80002-1 can be used for risk management our software or it is for medical products with software (not stand alone).

does anyone have an example of risk management for software?:)

Thank you very much

best regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

bio_subbu

Super Moderator
Re: Use of IEC 80002-1 for Risk Management of Stand Alone Software

hello to all

I'm new here. I'm glad that I can share my knowledge with you.
Here is a great forum.

now I'm working on the CE marking a standalone software.

We develop a software for ecg analysis. Class B according to IEC 62304
I want to know if IEC 80002-1 can be used for risk management our software or it is for medical products with software (not stand alone).

does anyone have an example of risk management for software?:)

Thank you very much

best regards
Hi Welcome to the cove!!!

IEC ISO/TR 80002-1 covers manufacturers risk management and software development when software is part of a medical device or a system and describes how to apply ISO 14971 together with the IEC 62304 standard..

Pads38

Trusted Information Resource

ISO 80002-1 is a guidance document to assist in the use of the main Risk Analysis standard for medical devices which is ISO 14971.

From the introduction to 80002 -
IEC/TR 80002-1:2009(E) provides guidance for the application of the requirements contained in ISO 14971:2007, Medical devices - Application of risk management to medical devices to medical device software with reference to IEC 62304:2006, Medical device software - Software life cycle processes. It does not add to, or otherwise change, the requirements of ISO 14971:2007 or IEC 62304:2006. IEC/TR 80002-1:2009(E) is aimed at risk management practitioners who need to perform risk management when software is included in the medical device/system, and at software engineers who need to understand how to fulfil the requirements for risk management addressed in ISO 14971. ISO 14971, recognized worldwide by regulators, is widely acknowledged as the principal standard to use when performing medical device risk management. IEC 62304:2006, makes a normative reference to ISO 14971 requiring its use. The content of these two standards provides the foundation for this technical report. It should be noted that even though ISO 14971 and this technical report focus on medical devices, this technical report may be used to implement a safety risk management process for all software in the healthcare environment independent of whether it is classified as a medical device.

M

Mahmood.M

thanks for the answer.

Abstract: This standard says:

IEC/TR 80002-1:2009(E) is aimed at risk management practitioners who need to perform risk management when software is included in the medical device/system, and at software engineers who need to understand how to fulfil the requirements for risk management addressed in ISO 14971so I can use this standard for a stand-alone software . We must also comply with the requirements of the standard 62304

so I can use this standard for a stand-alone software . We must also comply with the requirements of the standard 62304.

I have the following questions on the CE marking of stand alone software :

1. We have a ecg analysis software for presentation of ecg data. The doctor can make a diagnosis with the software and the data from patient can be saved. After our decision , it is a medical device class B (IEC 62304 ) .

There is a big difference in the requirements between the class A and B.
I would like to know your opinion about our classification decision.

2.The following documents must be created in our view for CE marking :

1 Product description with the intended medical purpose
2 Risk management according to ISO 14971 and 80002-1
3.essential requirements
4 list of standards
5.risk classification ( class IIa according to MDD and A or B according to IEC 62304 )
6.clinical evalution

Are the documents complete for CE marking ?

thanks a lot in advance :)

Pads38

In addition to those you have already identified:

1. Administrative Details (Name and Address, Notified Body, Classification)
2. Instructions for Use and Labeling
3. Test Reports (Verification and Validation and other bench testing)
4. Description of methods of manufacture
5. Specifications
6. Production test specifications
7. Description of any accessories involved

You will probably also have to address Usability aspects somewhere.

Best guidance is here-
http://www.imdrf.org/docs/ghtf/fina...ocumentation-ivd-safety-conformity-110317.pdf

GTHF Summary Technical Documentation

sagai

Quite Involved in Discussions

Mahmood,
I think these questions should be clearly addressed by your regulatory-quality guys to be honest.
The way companies addressing CE marking can be different, so it is really up to your company.
Are you from engineering?
Cheers!

M

Mahmood.M

@Pads38 : great. Thank you very much.

@sagai:
We are a young and small company (three medical technicians) at the moment. We have not enough experience with the CE Marking. So I ask my question here. We are now building our quality system according to ISO 13485 and we soon bring our first product on the market :)

Cheers!:)

M

Mahmood.M

I have two question open:

1. Is the classification the ecg analysis software in the class B (iec 62304), right? our justification: a false doagnose can be occurred by the software. so it may lead to an injury (not serious injury as the class C).

2 what is labeling the software? The requirements of the standard are applicable only in the instructions for use of the software, for example: manufacturer, installer and installation, ist that correct?

thanks
best regards

Pads38

Classification
The choice between B and C will depend upon the exact intended use of the software but you may find a notified Body auditor reluctant to accept Class B unless you have strong rationale to justify Class B.

My thinking is that if it diagnoses atrial fibrillation (say) that failing to spot that (false negative) or diagnosing AF when it is not there (false positive) are both very serious with the consequences including death or serious injury.

Labeling
A few ideas that I have used to label software.

i) Supply on CD with label on the disc
ii) Have a 'splash screen' when the software starts.
iii) Follow the Windows convention and include an 'About' choice on the 'Help' menu - that can show all the necessary info, plus CE mark etc.

It is worth considering what the purpose of the 'Labeling' is. Think of a situation where, in 6 or 7 years time someone is investigating a reported problem with your device or software. They need to easily and unambiguously, identify who made it, where to contact the manufacturer, and exactly what model it is (including for software all the updates and fixes installed). So assume the disc and manual have been lost long ago - they still need to be able to get the information.

It is worth having these requirements in mind whilst you build up your quality system. Can you, several years after you stopped selling it, identify the software and work out the exact configuration of all the items that together form the finished product you supplied?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Data Matrix and DPM (direct part marking) UDI Standards - ISO/IEC TR 29158 Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
J CE Marking Requirements and IEC 60617 - Electrical Schematics Symbols CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
L IEC/EN 60601-1 Certificate required before CE Marking? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
J IEC 60601-1 for TENS-electrodes (CE-marking) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
T IEC 62304 required for CE Marking of Software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R Power Input Marking requirements in IEC 60601 and IEC 60950 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P Marking Legibility (7.1.2 of IEC 60601-1): Size of Letters IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
R Class II Medical Device Marking - Different IEC 60950 & IEC 60601 Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 17
J Marking (Labeling) Requirements on Medical Equipment per IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
D CSA Marking Requirements - IEC 60601-1 and CSA 622.2 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
E IEC/EN 60601 Testing and CE Marking for a Non Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Is it mandatory to obtain ISO13485 certificate prior to CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
G CE marking of MD and IVD set EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M CE marking for NON-EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
NDesouza Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors Benchmarking 39
S CE marking for a product upgrade CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P CE Marking UK Membership CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Powered wheelchairs (Class IIa) in the process of CE marking and use in hospitals CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N CE marking colour for Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A EAC Marking in Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Clinical investigations of medical devices - not for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Marking Machinery for Israel CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Does cFDA accepts FDA approval or CE marking? China Medical Device Regulations 1
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Is Shelf Life Change a significant change? CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 7
N How to Write and Compile a Technical File for CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
CPhelan Do you require MDSAP for CE Marking of a Medical Device or is ISO13485:2016 with clinical data sufficient? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
P CE Marking EN ISO 13849-1: Electrical Panel behind interlocked doors CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
M Cleaning Process after laser marking on orthopaedic implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
H Safety and efficacy study for CE marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Difficulty Finding A Notified Body for CE Marking - No Capacity Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
K Post Market Clinical Follow up and CE Marking for Class IIb medical X-Ray products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J CE Marking for vibrator personal pleasure toy CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 16
JoshuaFroud CE Marking and Brexit - Product shipped to a distributor prior to the March deadline EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Design for new product safety marking for the no-deal Brexit scenario Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
E Safety work instruction if the equipment have the CE Marking and a Manual with safety instruction Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
Z Direct Part Marking (DPM) requirements for Class II Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Medical Device News FDA Guidance - UDI: Policy Regarding Compliance Dates for Class I and Unclassified Devices and Certain Devices Requiring Direct Marking Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J Virtual Manufacturer and CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N CE marking for distributed product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S CE Marking requirements - A Medical device with different config sold under same name EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Class 1 CE Marking - Can this be removed from the label on the product? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
I Tool Control Marking Voiding Warranty AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
K UDI Direct Marking Compliance Date Clarification and one other UDI question Other US Medical Device Regulations 0