CE Marking - Annex II Requirements for Class IIa Medical Device

A

Arnthor

Dear all,

My company is going to apply CE marking for a Class IIa device and my boss plan to use Annex II to get the CE marking.

I understand that for a Class IIa and class IIb device using Annex II, it will be exempted from "EC design Examination".

Is the "EC design Examination” refers to "4. Examination of the design of the product" of the Annex II?

Am I right to say that for a class IIa device using Annex II, I do not have to describe the design, manufacture and performances of the product?

Or anything that is mentioned in “4. Examination of the design of the product" of the Annex II?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Arnthor

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
Re: CE Marking for Class IIa device

Hi,

When using Annex II, for a class IIa (or b) device all that is reviewed by your notified body is the technical file. The design dossier review is limited to class III devices only.

This can be seen in section 7:
7.1. In line with Article 11(2) and (3), this Annex may apply to products in
Classes IIa and IIb. Section 4, however, does not apply.
Although you don't have to submit the design dossier for review by the notified body, it is still a requirement that you carry out and document the design process. Although not part of the technical review, your ISO 13485 audits will examine the design aspects.

Hope this helps

A

Arnthor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying in the CE marking conformity assessment procedure my class IIa device is exempted from design process.

But in ISO 13485 cerification I will need to show the auditor my design input, output, vertification and validation report?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best regards,

Arnthor

pkost

Trusted Information Resource

You are never exempted from the design process. Even a class 1 has to go through the process

I'm not saying you have to show the design file in a 13485 audit either. I'm just saying that as 13485 requires documentation and records from the design process, it is a request that the auditor can be expected to make. They may however chose a different design project to examine

To use annex 11 your Design Control procedures must have been included in your 13485 audit, so making your system a "Full quality assurance system" (annex 11 title). And you must have the documentation to show that such design control procedures were followed.

If you don't have such procedures already in place it can be very difficult to achieve after the design has been completed. In such cases the Annex 5 plus Annex 6 route could be much simpler.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Class IIa Annex II CE Marking - Required Tests and Documentation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
5 Help with Medical Device Class IIa Annex V CE Marking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A CE Marking Technical Construction File - EN 10025-1 Annex ZA CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
L CE marking - Annex V vs Annex II EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S CE Marking Question - Class IIa device by complying with Annex V & VII EU Medical Device Regulations 10
S CE Marking components within IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
A Technical documentation ce marking pippete tips CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S Device with different options for a sub-component - CE marking implications EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R CE and UKCA marking Own Brand products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
C CE Marking - Medical Device Accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Using of CE marking - Two CE markings on the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
T CE Marking - Bench mark Device from same manufacturer CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
F Lithium polymer battery, venting and CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A Migrating from whole product CE marking to modular approach CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Marking "Distributed By" to product with distributors' reference-code EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S CE marking for OEM Brand CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
E Medical Device - CE marking - Local market notifications EU Medical Device Regulations 2
U Medical Device CE Marking - Using a disposable bearing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K CE Marking for Class I Medical Device? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Is it mandatory to obtain ISO13485 certificate prior to CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
G CE marking of MD and IVD set EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M CE marking for NON-EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
NDesouza Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors Benchmarking 40
S CE marking for a product upgrade CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P CE Marking UK Membership CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J Powered wheelchairs (Class IIa) in the process of CE marking and use in hospitals CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N CE marking colour for Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A EAC Marking in Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Clinical investigations of medical devices - not for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Marking Machinery for Israel CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Does cFDA accepts FDA approval or CE marking? China Medical Device Regulations 1
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Is Shelf Life Change a significant change? CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N How to Write and Compile a Technical File for CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
CPhelan Do you require MDSAP for CE Marking of a Medical Device or is ISO13485:2016 with clinical data sufficient? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
P CE Marking EN ISO 13849-1: Electrical Panel behind interlocked doors CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
M Cleaning Process after laser marking on orthopaedic implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
H Safety and efficacy study for CE marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Difficulty Finding A Notified Body for CE Marking - No Capacity Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
K Post Market Clinical Follow up and CE Marking for Class IIb medical X-Ray products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
J CE Marking for vibrator personal pleasure toy CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 16
JoshuaFroud CE Marking and Brexit - Product shipped to a distributor prior to the March deadline EU Medical Device Regulations 2