SBS - The best value in QMS software

CE Marking for Class I Medical Device?

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the Medical Device CE certification requirements, thank you in advance for your help!

We have a medical device for a smell=test, (4x6 inch card with smell areas, scratchnsniff) ol-factory dysfunction or lossofsmell. Based on what I have seen in MDD, we have a Class I device. Device is not sterilized, not taking any measurements, should be the lowest Class I categorization. We have a local representative in Germany with 35 years of med device experience.

As Class I devices are self-certified, all we have to do is:
1. compile a technical file and design file -which directive would be the appropriate one?
2. demonstrate compliance with the essential requirements. -Is there any other requirements than local rep? Do we need a QMS?
3. sign our own declaration of conformity
4. register with German competent authority to say that we intend to market the device

Am I missing a step? -or are we in CE compliance with these basic steps?

Thanks for your help!

kimmo01

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
I am working for a client with a class I medical device and these are the activities required for class I as required in EU MDR (2017/745)

1. Classify the device as per EU MDR chapter III.
2. Create a Declaration of Compliance as per Article 19
3. Create a Post Market Surveillance Plan as per Article 84
4. Create a Post Market Surveillance Report as per Article 85.
5. Technical documentation as per Annex II.

Hi Danny K,

Thank you for your prompt response! We have a smart phone app tied into this test, so the questions are: does a smart phone app have a different Class I spec? Can we combine the card and the phone app into one single declaration of conformity?

Thanks!

Mikilk

Involved In Discussions
I am working for a client with a class I medical device and these are the activities required for class I as required in EU MDR (2017/745)

They also need to make sure they have QMS in place and the technical documentation should include Annex II+III

Hi Danny K,

Thank you for your prompt response! We have a smart phone app tied into this test, so the questions are: does a smart phone app have a different Class I spec? Can we combine the card and the phone app into one single declaration of conformity?

Thanks!
Hi kimmo01,

I am involved in the preparation of the CE conformity of smart phone apps and, in addition to CEP, CER, I also write risk management files and usability reports. In Germany, certain smart phone apps can be approved as digital health applications. These must be Class I or IIa. Once approved, these are added to the directory of reimbursable digital health applications and can be prescribed by the doctor and reimbursed by the health insurance companies. This is regulated in accordance with the German Digital Health Application Ordinance (DiGAV). However, they need a CE mark - the MDR is used here.

Background in relation to your question:
Your intended purpose is decisive! If your intended purpose is Class I or Class IIa, then you can approve your app as a medical device and that works in combination with the card. Note that the app has to fulfill the main function of the intended purpose! I.e. the card is only allowed to measure, but the data processing is up to the app! CEP and CER must then be carried out in combination with the app + card, unless your app can also be approved as a medical device without the card and carry out the functions. Then the app can also be approved on its own. Of course, this also applies the other way around. If you just want to allow the card and don't need the app

Answer to your question:
Smart phone app can be class I, yes. BUT as I said: your intended purpose classifies your device (in combinationwith the card or alone). Check out: Rule 11! But also be aware of any inhalation via body orifice (if applicable to your device).
To define your intended purpose regarding rule 11: Is your app therapy crucial? or for Diagnostic purposes? Than, it is likely to be IIa! But if you "just" provide the test to measure something and support monitoring it is likely to be class I
Consider also (but this is up to you) if your device can be an IVD (IVDR applies here)
Best regards, I hope I could give you valuable input

chris1price

Regarding your list, please remember that creating and signing the Declaration of Conformity should be the very last thing you do, as essentially, you are declaring that everything else has been done.

Raisin picker

Involved In Discussions
Just for the record: under MDD, most software is classified as class I. Under MDR however, almost all software will be class IIa or IIb. Keep that in mind while preparing PMS/PMCF plan, since you will have to provide at least some own clinical data once you apply for MDR with a class II device.

dgrainger

You will need clinical evidence that it is safe and performs as you intend - sounds novel, is there an equivalent device or do you need to perform a clinical investigation?
What chemicals are you using? Have you performed biocompatibility tests?
Does the combination device "allow direct diagnosis"? = Class IIa under MDD.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Post Market Clinical Follow up and CE Marking for Class IIb medical X-Ray products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Z Direct Part Marking (DPM) requirements for Class II Medical Devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
L Electrical Class (Class I, II & III) vs. Medical Device CE marking Class I, II & III ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Risk Analysis help for CE Marking Class I Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
A Tests required for CE Marking a Class 2A Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
5 Help with Medical Device Class IIa Annex V CE Marking Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Class 1 Medical Device Labeling and CE Marking Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 8
N CE Marking Requirements for Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Class II Medical Device Marking - Different IEC 60950 & IEC 60601 Requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 17
C Class I Medical Devices - Country of Origin Marking on Retail Packaging (Labeling) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
A CE Marking and Packaging Requirements for Class I Sterilized Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 8
B CE-Marking on Class III Medical Device Products: How? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
A CE Marking - Annex II Requirements for Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 5
P CE Marking - Turkey & European Authorized Representative - Class IIa Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Medical Device Variants submission for CE Marking - Class II Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J CE Marking a CE marked Class I Medical Device - To aid approval/registration in China EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R CE Marking for Research Instruments - Small Company - Class II Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Independent authorized CE Marking representative in UK or EU - Class 1 Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 11
C Class I Medical Device - What is in a CE Marking Self-Declaration EU Medical Device Regulations 18
V CE Marking for Power Supply for Medical Device - Class IIb device per MDD, Rule 11 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M CE Marking for Class I Medical Devices - Self-declare CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Powered wheelchairs (Class IIa) in the process of CE marking and use in hospitals CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Medical Device News FDA Guidance - UDI: Policy Regarding Compliance Dates for Class I and Unclassified Devices and Certain Devices Requiring Direct Marking Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J Class 1 CE Marking - Can this be removed from the label on the product? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A Class IIa Annex II CE Marking - Required Tests and Documentation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J CE Marking Extension Cables for Class III EP Catheters EU Medical Device Regulations 6
J MDD 93/42/EEC and Leather - CE-marking our (class I) product EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S CE Marking Question - Class IIa device by complying with Annex V & VII EU Medical Device Regulations 10
J Marking "Distributed By" to product with distributors' reference-code EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S CE marking for OEM Brand CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
E Medical Device - CE marking - Local market notifications EU Medical Device Regulations 1
U Medical Device CE Marking - Using a disposable bearing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Is it mandatory to obtain ISO13485 certificate prior to CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
G CE marking of MD and IVD set EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M CE marking for NON-EU EU Medical Device Regulations 0
NDesouza Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors Benchmarking 40
S CE marking for a product upgrade CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P CE Marking UK Membership CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
D CE Marking Requirements MDD & MDR - new product development covered under same scope EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N CE marking colour for Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A EAC Marking in Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Marking of Medical Electrical equipment and accessories - Cl. 7.2.2 "Identification" and Cl. 7.2.4 "Accessories" IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
M Clinical investigations of medical devices - not for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Marking Machinery for Israel CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
K Does company who manufacture but does not design or carry out clinical trials is responsible for CE marking for single use medical devices? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Does cFDA accepts FDA approval or CE marking? China Medical Device Regulations 1
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5