CEDAC (Cause and Effect with Addition of Cards) - Sharing Experiences and Form(s)

L

luciano

Does sombody use CEDAC (Cause and Effect with the Addition of Carts) which wants to share his/her experience in how can use this diagram; or to share a training material ?

Thank you very much
God bless you.

W

wmarhel

Re: CEDAC (Cause and Effect with Addition Carts) - Sharing Experiences and Form(s)

Does sombody use CEDAC (Cause and Effect with the Addition of Carts) which wants to share his/her experience in how can use this diagram; or to share a training material ?

Thank you very much
God bless you.

CEDAC is good tool. I've used it before in a number of instances and it worked will. It is a structured way to problem solve, brainstorm and then gain consensus on a solution.

Unfortunately, all the charts and training material I have are copyrighted by Productivity Inc so I'm unable to share them. My suggestion would be to check out eBay for a copy of the book, or check out Productivity Inc's catalog and/or European office for a suitable version.

There is no mystery or deep secrets to this and because of the simplicity it doesn't seem to scare people away. Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the approach.

Regards,

Wayne

L

luciano

Re: CEDAC (Cause and Effect with Addition Carts) - Sharing Experiences and Form(s)

CEDAC is good tool. I've used it before in a number of instances and it worked will. It is a structured way to problem solve, brainstorm and then gain consensus on a solution.

Unfortunately, all the charts and training material I have are copyrighted by Productivity Inc so I'm unable to share them. My suggestion would be to check out eBay for a copy of the book, or check out Productivity Inc's catalog and/or European office for a suitable version.

There is no mystery or deep secrets to this and because of the simplicity it doesn't seem to scare people away. Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the approach.

Regards,

Wayne

Hello, and many greatings.

I am trying to translate in my best possible English.
I found in my language two pages about CEDAC. It’s a part of that.

STEPS:
1. Project start: management choose a situation for improvement, a time line and a train responsible which have the responsibility to update the board and “play” the leadership roll.
2. It’s making CEDAC board, which will be posted in a visible area and will be add up
3. the problem will be define in one phrase
4. the effect will be define and follow on a chart
5. the measure of the effect will be define (frequency, size, responsible, …..)
6. assign the objective (quantity, and date of project end)
7. determine the regulations for method
8. 3-5 persons will choose the main chausses (possible 5M)
9. the “facts” will be posted when are collected
10. “ideas for improvement” received from participants will be posted
11. the group will meet together to select improvement ideas
12. will be perpetuate the activity : facts – proposed ideas – selected ideas, until the goal it’s achieved.
13. the CEDAC group will elaborate a new procedure, which is necessary to be simple, visible (chart) and all interested people are informed to applying the new standard
14. a indicator allow to follow this adhesion and inform the personal

another point in my pages are: Follow the implementation: every improvement idea its marked:
a. in progress
b. in application
c. in waiting
d. out of subject
I don’t undertend the diferece between a. and b

QUESTIONS:
Which situations are proper for CEDAC improvement?
CEDAC is open for all employees?

In my pages it’s nothing about brainstorm and then gain consensus on a solution.

I found this method in a book and I want to implement it in my factory. But it’s a very short explanation ust two pages

Thank you very much for your time
I hope you will understand my poor English.

Best regards,

W

wmarhel

Practically anywhere a problem exists, CEDAC can be used.

I'm familiar with the 9-step process.

1) Organize the team
Define the process by which the group structure, behavorial guidelines, goals and norms are finalized.

2)
Define the project
The reason for this particular improvement project is clearly stated and a measurable outcome is identified.

3) Establish a baseline
Process by which the team gathers data (statistical and anecdotal) about the possible causes of the problem.

4) Collect the "facts"
The team collects as many facts as possible.

5) Sort and organize
The team sorts and categorizes all the collected facts.

6) Develop improvement ideas
The team proposes ideas for corrective action based on the facts posted (brainstorm).

7) Select, test, adopt ideas
Team selects and idea, tests and proves its reliability, and adopts it as a standard.

8) Standardize
Formalize a solution into a reliable method that will produce a consistently good result.

9) Sustain gains
Process by which a team ensures adherence to the stand it just created.

Project definition can be typically one of the harder aspects as all too often the project is defined too loosely and it run in all sorts of directions.

See the attached Word document. My suggestion is to create a file based on the attached file and print out on plotter paper. The print out should be large enough for you to tape onto the wall and use the small yellow and blue post-it notes as well as write on it (just be careful the marker doesn't bleed through onto the wall). No need to get fancy with computer diagrams or such, use post-its, and digital photos in some cases.

Wayne

Attachments

• CEDAC Diagram.doc
    71 KB · Views: 856
L

luciano

Hello Wayne,

Thank you very much for your help.
Very precious informations

Just one question to step 6: Why just a team can propose ideas for corrective action ? It's not more efficacious to open CEDAC to a large group of employees to ghater improvements idea, and the team select, test, (step 7) andalso propose ideas ? For exemple can be posted in a work area if the problem is specific for that work area ?

Best regards.
Have a nice day.

W

wmarhel

Just one question to step 6: Why just a team can propose ideas for corrective action ? It's not more efficacious to open CEDAC to a large group of employees to ghater improvements idea, and the team select, test, (step 7) andalso propose ideas ? For exemple can be posted in a work area if the problem is specific for that work area ?

The larger the group, the more difficult it can be to reach an agreement. The problem-solving team should of course already include people from the area or process that is affected. CEDAC is meant to be a focused problem solving tool, if people need to be brought in at various stages, that is fine.

Something to keep in mind with all any method or approach is that it may require a little modification for your needs and/or company's culture. At the end of the process, if it doesn't look exactly like what's depicted in the book, yet yields positive benefits then you did the right things.

Best of luck,

Wayne

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

There's a book here that was written by the developer of the CEDAC idea. I can't personally vouch for the book or the process.

BTW, someone should edit the thread title to read "Addition of Cards" instead of "Addition Carts."

S

Shekhar

Re: CEDAC (Cause and Effect with Addition Cards) - Sharing Experiences and Form(s)

Dear Members,
I have used this tool in my earlier co. wherein nine CEDAC projects worked on different problems. I can share the following details :

CEDAC

Background

• CEDAC stands for Cause and Effect Diagram with the Addition of Cards;
• CEDAC is a visual, team-oriented problem solving methodology developed by Dr. Ryuji Fukuda.
• In 1978 he was honored with prestigious Deming Prize for this contribution to the field of productivity and quality improvement.
• CEDAC has been used extensively in Japan, USA and Europe with excellent results.

Dr. Fukuda’s message
• Management is a practical science.
• A Company must continuously improve its health in order to overcome competition.
• To achieve this, it is important for each person constituting the company to have a mechanism that enables him/her to always make progress on his/her own accord in daily work.

To summarize ………….
CEDAC is useful for organizational improvement for the following reasons:
• It orients all the members of the organization, directs their actions by graphically presenting the project, and allows them to effectively contribute to the improvement process.
• It allows sharing of necessary information with all members, thus promoting autonomous actions.
• It encourages all individuals in the organization to use their strengths.
• It increases chances to generate ideas that enable progress even by at least half a step, as it makes the members keep thinking.
• It integrates external knowledge and the member’s knowledge to create new ideas and technology.
• It standardizes ideas with favorable test results and accumulates them as intrinsic and management technology.
Typical Uses

It is extensively used to encourage employee involvement in shop floor problem solving and to promote small group activities. Typical applications include
For Production & Services
• Lead Time Reduction in production & services
• Inventory Reduction
• Reducing Rework / Scrap / Errors
• Increasing Yield
• Reducing Time and Cost Overruns in projects
• Cost Reduction
For Administration / Sales Offices
• Reduce Late coming / Absenteeism
• Speedy recovery of receivables
• Increase Orders to Enquiries ratio

10 Step Process

CEDAC is a systematic 10 step process as follows:
1. Problem Definition
To define the problem precisely.
2. Improvement Measurement
Methodology for measurement
3. The Target Effect
Team defines the target as per set rules.
4. Fact Cards
Based on observation at workplace
5. Analysis Cards
Breaking down the facts
6. Improvement Cards
7. The Three Dot Marking System
8. Implementation Plan
9. Standard Card
Which has been implemented to yield positive results
10. Adherence
Through Control plans / Work Instructions, Poka yoke devices & FMEA

Each step requires a no. of tools & rules to be followed.
Typically in one organization where Nine CEDAC projects were run could get the following benefits :
1. Total Elimination of two customer complaints through two projects.
2. Saving of Rs. 58 lacs through seven projects.

M

marketa

Hello Wayne,

I read discussion of CEDAC and I'd ask you, in which companies and in which year did you last used the method CEDAC (if you provide this information). I wonder if this method is still used because the original publication by Dr.Fukudy is almost 20 years old.

I apologize for my bad english
Thank you for your response

Best regards

Marketa

Top Bottom