Cell Manufacturing - Project to implement lean manufacturing principles

B

bricka

I am currently in charge of a project to implement lean manufacturing principles in my company.

I would like to find some further information on Cell manufacturing / layouts etc. I have done simulations with U shaped cells etc but I would like to do some reading of my own and be able to correctly educate the shop floor so that they can reach the correct decision when they re-layout the shop floor.

Thanks, Darren.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Cell Manufacturing

I am currently in charge of a project to implement lean manufacturing principles in my company.

I would like to find some further information on Cell manufacturing / layouts etc. I have done simulations with U shaped cells etc but I would like to do some reading of my own and be able to correctly educate the shop floor so that they can reach the correct decision when they re-layout the shop floor.

Thanks, Darren.
Darren,

Welcome to The Cove Forums! :agree1: :agree1:

There is a lot of information available about "Lean" at The Cove Forums.

You can do a search.... Let us know if you need help.

Stijloor.

Last edited:

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Re: Cell Manufacturing

Hello Darren! Welcome!

There is a lot of stuff on the cellular design. Any Operations Management textbook should give you the basics of it.

A couple of things:

1. Make sure that cellular matches your Strategy. If you are mass production, you will lose efficiency with cellular design. Saying, you have five cells with five stations. Station 3 in cell 1 is a bit behind. Either they will have to wait, or take the work to another station 3. Having homogeneous product flow straight down a line to each station is old-fashioned, but can be the most efficient. Heterogeneous/independent products are another matter.

2. Your physical layout should lend to any re-designed process you desire to do. Too, good process mapping is important here, not only what you currently have, but what you are going to. Make sure you have not missed any steps. For example, ride a day with the forklift operator and find out what they currently do, and what would change for them if you change the layout.

3. The management style will change. It will require a little more project oriented style than process style. A supervisor will need to work with all five stations and know their specialized areas. Also, maintenance of the equipment will change a bit.

That's a few things off the top of my head. It is important to make sure you have covered all the basics in the new design. Otherwise, you may spend a lot of money/ downtime, and not gain much advantage.

W

wmarhel

The key reference for Cellular Manufacturing would be: "One-Piece Flow" by Kenichi Sekine. Another option would be "Reorganizing the Factory" by Nancy Hyer

Moving towards manufacturing cells isn't difficult if you've done the groundwork such as looking at historical demand / potential future demand, product mix, specific quality requirements, and those operations that are either performed by monuments (large pieces of equipment that can be difficult to move) or that occur within a process that takes a very long cycle time to complete.

Wayne

B

bricka

Thanks for the help guys, I have been a memebr of this Forum for some months and found it extremely useful.

Wayne, thanks for the book advice - I have ordered One-Piece Flow" by Kenichi Sekine.

Cheers, Darren

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B IATF 16949 manufacturing cell in ISO 9001 factory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
A Cell Manufacturing - The background and use of "manufacturing cells" presentation Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
R Robotic weld cell - maintenance issues - expertise needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Informational EU – Minutes of the 24 July 2019 SCHEER Working Group on safety of breast implants in relation to anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) meeting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA – Breast Implant Associated- Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) – Letter to Health Care Providers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F IEC 62133 cell vs. Battery Pack - Certification on the cell only IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Ron Rompen GR&R on Automated Inspection Cell Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
M Nanomaterials? Products based on human cell or tissue derivatives? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Y List of Cell therapy and Gene Therapy products in South Korea and China Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
N Damaged Load Cell After Calibration - Who Should Pay? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
smryan Excel Printing Glitch - How to STOP Printing One Cell per Page Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 10
Marc Stem Cell stimulation to end tooth Root Canals World News 0
L Minitab Help with Empty Cell Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
E Auto Populate Date and Time in an adjacent cell to one the user will complete..... Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
A Incoming Material Quality Assurance Cell Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
S Cell Rubber Stamping PPM for Scrap Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
D Gage R&R on a Load Cell fixture that tests the resistance of a Headrest Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Tolerance Estimation of a Load Cell I want to Calibrate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
W Force Calibration - In-House Load Cell Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K How do I autofill cell color based on other cells' color in Excel? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 11
S Calibration of Load Cell using Compression Machine as Comparator General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Cell Design - Use DFMA (Design for Manufacture & Assembly) Analysis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
D Time and Methods Study on a Productive Cell Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 6
S Effects of Irradiation Sterilization on Medical Electronics - Li Coin Cell Batteries IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Weld Cell Repeatability Studies - Origin - The 'drilled hole panel' Methodology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
smryan How to reference a row from a cell value in Excel? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
SteelMaiden I need a new phone (cell service) - Your Recommendations Please After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 34
S What Cell Phone Apps do you use? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
Wes Bucey Cell phone radiation? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 6
B Inspection Tools for Flatness and Channel Depth of Bipolar Fuel Cell Plates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Preparation for SPC in a Small Lot Production Cell Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S How many cell phones have you killed? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
smryan Excel Cell or Text Formatting help Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 27
N Recycling Cell Phones for ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
C Ignorant Cell Phone Usage (Cell Phone Etiquette) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
E Moving Range Average Calculation in Excel (in a single cell only). Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 9
Ajit Basrur My iPod, My Cell, My Insulin Pump - Advances of Diabetics Management ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Shared Resources in Cell and how to address them on Work Instructions Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
Jim Wynne How to save money on type 394 button-cell batteries Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
BradM What will your next cell phone be? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
S Does your company allow the use of Personal cell phones during working hours? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 51
B Cell phones while driving? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 51
I Procedure for Calibration of my Load Cell Testing Equipment - Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
apestate MS Excel -- Can a cell value be a range (1-2) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
C Sampling Inspection Plan - Cell phone distributor offering programming services Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Marc Micro direct methanol fuel cell system for IBM ThinkPad notebooks After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
J Difficulty with cell phone reception in House with Aluminum Siding Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 23
W Coming soon, telemarketing calls on your Cell! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
M Changing to Work Cell Audits - Need Advice General Auditing Discussions 7
S Definition Work Cell - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 2