CEO Involvement - How far do I go with insisting that they attend meetings, etc?

E

energy

We obtained a consultant to assist us with ISO 9001:2000 implementation. He insists that senior management, preferably the CEO, be at the 1st and 2nd training sessions. Obviously, due to the importance of Management's involvement the new standard. How far do I go with insisting (as much as I'm allowed)that they attend. Marc said in one of his posts that in auditing he cuts the CEO/President some slack and audits the Quality Mgt System and processes. If everything is cool, the CEO/President is left alone. Our proposed training sessions will run a full workday:8 to 4. Our CEO has stated he will be there part time. We also have a General Manager, who really runs the show. Can our CEO designate him as the top of the pyramid? My gut feel is yes. How about it?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

D.Scott

The key to successful implementation of your quality system is commitment of management. If the CEO doesn't have time for it, nobody else will either and you'll live to regret it. Certainly, the CEO can't be expected to invest masses of time in developing the system - that's why he hired you and the consultant. Because you have to "live with" the CEO, you can't insist he be there but without his help you are going to be pushing your system uphill. Is he open enough to discuss this with? If so, he may agree to session 1 if not both sessions. The higher the company commitment the more effective the system will be. Besides - consultants get paid for the number of signatures on the meeting sign-in sheet :>)

D

Dan Larsen

Personally, I wouldn't push it. If he wants to be there, fine, but if he's hired a consultant and has expressed belief in the system (privately), then you have the commitment.

Most often, the CEO has already reserched this in their own way well in advance of implementing the introductory training.

I do think it would be good if he takes the time to introduce the session and makes a strong statement of support. This often is sufficient.

I'll go on to say that I think your consultant is being a bit pushy in this case...kind of like biting the hand that feeds you. I've been involved in these as well (smaller companies) and when the president asks if he should be there, I suggest he be there for an introductory statement and after that it's up to him. Most don't stick around, but the stong statement on the front end is useful in setting the tone.

E

energy

I agree with you and Dan. I presented it to the consultant and he now agrees. Our CEO will be with us a few hours, at least. He will drop in, occasionally, and will want progress reports. The General Manager will be presented as his representative. The CEO has stated that this ISO Registration is very important and has made it clear and will continually re-enforce this objective. That's the best we can do. And, Dan, no way will I "push it". Thanks Marc

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Don't thank me. Thank Dan. He was the one who responded so elequently.

C

Carl Redman

I think the extent of the Senior Managers' involvement will always depend upon the Senior Manager. However, I would say that they should "grow with the system". Sure, this doesn't mean that they work on the subject constantly - but remember during the certification process, it is the CEO/Senior Manager that will be asked to give the System Overview, and not the Management Rep. So... I think that the CEO's (at some point) will need to get their hands dirty!

A

Aaron Lupo

Just to let you all know, we just had our Registrar in and Executive Mgmt. was written up for not supporting the system. Now maybe they will support me and listen to what I have to say instead of paying lip service to the system, it will be very interesting around here the next few weeks.

[This message has been edited by ISO GUY (edited 18 April 2001).]

E

energy

ISO GUY,
If that happened more often, we would have an easier time of it. I just don't think it is the norm. Somehow, they manage to stay above the fray.
energy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Management Involvement / Commitment - CEO involvement in the certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
T Why do most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
P Can CEO perform internal audit Internal Auditing 11
G QMS - Selling the idea to the CEO! Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
R Should the CEO Need a Job Description? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Wes Bucey Are you nice? Interview with a CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 9
E Is it Possible to Exclude Top Management (CEO, Chairman) in the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Ajit Basrur The CEO Story Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
P If you had 1 minute with the CEO to answer - Why is quality good for the company? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 44
Sidney Vianna A New Era of Sustainability - UN Global Compact?Accenture CEO Study 2010 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
S How would you live with a suspicious CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 5
R Looking into the eyes of your company's president, CEO, or boss Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
P Preparations for an interview with a company CEO Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
H Top Management and CEO - What questions will be asked during audit? General Auditing Discussions 4
T Absent CEO - My CEO and Engineering Manager have been laid off ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc Ford CEO gets $28M for 4 months work World News 15
Marc Oil Company CEO Pay Averaged $32.7 Million in 2005, Study Says World News 2
ccochran Letter to your CEO on Quality The Reading Room 32
Marc Keep Your Resume Accurate - Lying on Resume cost CEO his job and $25.1 million Career and Occupation Discussions 3
B Preferred methodology for internal audits - CEO says we're spending too much time Internal Auditing 8
Marc Want to get raises? Become a CEO Career and Occupation Discussions 19
Jim Wynne How to become a CEO Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
Marc Nice job if you can get it: CEO compensation jumps 30% in 2004 Career and Occupation Discussions 0
sonflowerinwales To implement IS14001 or not - Just been asked by my CEO Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 34
C Jobs Outsourcing and CEO Pay Raises World News 5
I Auditing the CEO - How? What should our Internal Auditor ask? Internal Auditing 6
M Discussing Quality Objectives with a new CEO - What would YOU ASK? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
Marc COO - CEO -- Who's Responsible? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
V Internal Audit of CEO or MD, not MR Internal Auditing 1
M Informational MDCG 2019-3 Interpretation of Article 54(2)b – Pre- market clinical evaluation consultation procedure with the involvement of expert panels Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Notified Body Involvement with Self Declared Products EU Medical Device Regulations 7
GoSpeedRacer How to handle operator involvement in the non conformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Quality Assurance Manager involvement in Management Review AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
E Marketing and Sales involvement in 8.2.1 Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Improving Employee Involvement in Company Sustainability Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 14
R Involvement of several Departments in Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 12
A Marketing Materials - QA Involvement in Review of Marketing Materials ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
michellemmm Looking for SOI #2 Checklist and Guidance on FAA Level of Involvement Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
Z Involvement of Management representative (ISO 3834) in Quality Department Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
J Class I Medical Device with measuring function: Involvement of NB etc ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Q Employee Involvement / Prediction Markets Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
Paul Simpson ISO 10018:2012 - Quality management - Guidelines on people involvement and competence Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 32
D Lean Accounting - Operations Involvement? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
N Corrective Action - Increased Manufacturing Involvement - Injection moulding company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Hershal A2LA has completely terminated involvement in NACLA General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
T Warehouse Fire: QMS Involvement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
D Auditor Involvement in CA General Auditing Discussions 11
A Employee Involvement - Employees shall have the authority to raise nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5