CEOs Really Are Clueless and Don't Know What They're Doing

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
This probably won't surprise too many people, but a new study shows that, despite an outward appearance of confidence, CEOs often have no idea what they're doing and, at the same time, often don't really have that much of an impact on how a company performs. Obviously, they do have an impact on the big decisions, but there are so many other moving parts that a CEO often can't impact most of the factors that determine how successful a company is. Of course, at the same time, they can put in place the environment and infrastructure to support everyone to make success easier. No one ever said that the CEO should be the sole responsible person for success or failure -- but his or her goal should be to keep the whole company moving in the same direction and to provide the resources and environment necessary for the company to succeed.

CEOs are faking it, Stanford professor says
The bigger the company, the less impact they often have

JULY 22, 2005 - Your company's CEO might be a pretender, and that may be a good thing, according to Robert Sutton, professor of management science and engineering at Stanford University.

Sutton, the author of a 2001 study of corporate innovation, "Weird Ideas that Work," says that a close look at the evidence shows that CEOs probably deserve less credit for their company's fortunes than they receive and that the best of them manage a tough balancing act: secretly aware of their own fallibility while also realizing that any sign of indecisiveness could be fatal to their careers.

"In just about every study I've ever seen ... the amount of control a leader has over the company is exaggerated," Sutton said during a keynote address at the AO05 Innovation Summit at Stanford yesterday. Although top executives of the largest companies are often considered uniquely powerful, their effectiveness actually dwindles as companies get larger, he said.

"If you look at these Fortune 500 companies where they get paid a fortune, they have the least impact," Sutton said.

The notion of the CEO as a captain, steering the corporate ship, isn't so much a fallacy as it is a "half truth," according to Sutton, who has devoted a chapter to the topic in his upcoming book, Hard Facts, Dangerous Half Truths, and Total Nonsense.

In fact, leaders -- even great ones -- often have no clear idea where they are going, he said. And they make mistakes.

The best executives, like Intel Corp.’s former CEO Andy Grove, will admit that they face a dilemma in needing to appear decisive while at the same time being conscious of their limitations. "You have to pretend," Sutton said. "It's sort of a dilemma, but if you want to accept a leadership job, you've got to accept the hypocrisy of it."

In a 2003 interview with the Harvard Business School, Grove acknowledged that no business leader has "a real understanding of where we are heading."

In the interview, Grove added that it is important not to be weighed down by the burden of making important decisions without a clear picture of things. "Try not to get too depressed in the journey, because there's a professional responsibility. If you are depressed, you can't motivate your staff," he said.

The interview illustrated that Grove was "getting even more honest" as his involvement in the day-to-day management of Intel lessened, Sutton said.

Sutton and co-author Jeffrey Pfeffer have tackled other "half truths" in their book, which is to be published next year. Their aim is to shine the light of empirical research on a number of widely held management beliefs, including the idea that leaders should always keep a close eye on their workers, Sutton said.

Sometimes the best managers are the ones who do the least, Sutton said, quoting an aphorism he attributed to 3M Co.'s retired senior vice president of research and development, Bill Coyne: "When you plant a seed in the ground, you don't dig it up every week to see how it works."

Sutton even disputed the idea that most of the management advice being published is new or even helpful. "There's too much advice," he said. "Most of it is bad, if you actually bother to dig into the evidence.

"If you find a new management idea, I want to see it," Sutton said. "Every idea that's been described as new has, in fact, been around for a very long while."

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Marc, very interesting, even though, like you said not too surprising.
I have to admit that I am miffed with the fact that, in most cases, CEO compensation packages seem totally dissociated from the organization's performance, be it financial or otherwise.

Thanks for posting this. As a side note, for those of us working in the Quality World, have you realized how rare are organizations that have a CQO? It sounds better when you boast:
Quality is everyone's responsibility.....
But when the corporate world is filled with CEOs, COOs, CFOs, CITOs, CCOs, CXOs..... it would be good to hear from a CQO, I guess...

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
But how do we not turn off the CEO's?

CEO"s are people too . . .

I have in the past two weeks heard the following two stories, related to gurus turning off senior management.

When Dr. Deming was consulting for GM, he was part of a press conference on the top floor (the 14th) of the GM office building. In front of the press, he said the best thing GM could do to improve was to blow up the 14th floor. GM significantly reduced their use of Dr. Deming after that, though he was allowed to work on Powertrain and Saturn.

At a recent conference, a living guru (I won't name) went to a conference sponsored by an equally big company. He apparently stated that the senior management of that company was only in business to create and protect perks for themselves. I am told that the company now is refusing to have him back to future conferences that they sponsor.

I am publishing in ASQ's Quality Progress next month my own stories of fun with CEO's, fortunately, with different endings. But I think the discussion is still worthwhile of how can we influence CEO's to change, without completely peeving them off?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Steve Prevette said:
CEO"s are people too . . .

I have in the past two weeks heard the following two stories, related to gurus turning off senior management.

When Dr. Deming was consulting for GM, he was part of a press conference on the top floor (the 14th) of the GM office building. In front of the press, he said the best thing GM could do to improve was to blow up the 14th floor. GM significantly reduced their use of Dr. Deming after that, though he was allowed to work on Powertrain and Saturn.

At a recent conference, a living guru (I won't name) went to a conference sponsored by an equally big company. He apparently stated that the senior management of that company was only in business to create and protect perks for themselves. I am told that the company now is refusing to have him back to future conferences that they sponsor.

I am publishing in ASQ's Quality Progress next month my own stories of fun with CEO's, fortunately, with different endings. But I think the discussion is still worthwhile of how can we influence CEO's to change, without completely peeving them off?
It wasn't the only time that Deming was hoisted on his own petard. Not biting the hand that feeds you should be a fundamental bit of strategy, but sometimes egos prevail. It think it's good to remember that when dealing with CEOs or people running their own businesses that part of their success has come from depending on their own instincts, experience and yes, egos. They have to be approached carefully and somewhat obliquely, but without being sycophantic or fawning, and you must be prepared with numbers, particularly numbers with dollar signs in front of them, if you want to keep their attention.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
What did Deming or the other guru do to help the people of that company by making such a public remark? Nothing -- he probably hurt their cause.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Mike S. said:
What did Deming or the other guru do to help the people of that company by making such a public remark? Nothing -- he probably hurt their cause.

Yes, I would agree with that sentiment. Although some workers may get some satisfaction that someone finally "stuck it to" management, in the long run it does not change their (management's) behaviors. Both gurus were well beyond retirement age and well enough off financially when they made their comments (thus, if they didn't want to work with the companies, they didn't have to).

I have had folks that I have refused to do work for within my company, but I certainly have not done that in public, and let them know that if they wanted me to do the work, here is what they were going to get. And in fact, in a couple of cases I was able to get them to "come around".

Top Bottom