CER - Equivalent Medical Devices Criteria - MDR/MEDDEV REV 4

Harini17

Involved In Discussions
Dear Experts,

I have a major question with respect to equivalent devices. I have recently came across a report where they are preparing report for two subject devices and claiming equivalence using the same i.e, without considering other devices as equivalent. My question is can we consider subject devices as equivalent devices having different user group - one is pediatric, adult (>9kg) and the other one is only adult (>30 kg). Technological features are same but there is a bit difference in size. Can I consider subject devices as equivalent devices?

It would be great if you could list down the criteria to be considered for equivalent devices?

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

QAengineer13

Quite Involved in Discussions
Dear Experts,

I have a major question with respect to equivalent devices. I have recently came across a report where they are preparing report for two subject devices and claiming equivalence using the same i.e, without considering other devices as equivalent. My question is can we consider subject devices as equivalent devices having different user group - one is pediatric, adult (>9kg) and the other one is only adult (>30 kg). Technological features are same but there is a bit difference in size. Can I consider subject devices as equivalent devices?

It would be great if you could list down the criteria to be considered for equivalent devices?

Thanks

Hi Harini,

"My question is can we consider subject devices as equivalent devices having different user group - one is pediatric, adult (>9kg) and the other one is only adult (>30 kg). "

The simple answer is NO because the pediatric population represents a particularly vulnerable group, specific measures are needed to protect the safety of pediatric study subjects. Adult devices may be inappropriate for use in pediatric subjects for a variety of reasons, or may require specific
design changes and/or specific labeling to accommodate their use in pediatric subjects.

Also the Intended use and the indication for use and other factors play a vital role its not just the technology ...this is my 2C's.

But devil is in the detail, my quick answer to you would be No, but need more specifics from you to understand your case.

paulag

Involved In Discussions
Hi Harini,

Meddev itself gives you all the criteria regarding equivalence - and the answer to your question is no...

"used in a similar population (this may relate to age, gender, anatomy, physiology, possibly other aspects),"​

DocsRoom - European Commission

Dear Experts,

Thanks

Hello,

From MDR perspective, there are some specific requirements in the text that requires a manufaturer to have an agreement in place with a manufaturer of reference device in order to have full access to their technical documentation. Other than that, the manufaturer of the device to which an equivalence will be established also needs to be MDR compliant from CER standpoint.

This is still far away (not so though) and may not apply to your case if the manufacturer is the same for both the devices anyways. Even though not considering MDR, I guess the equivalence cannot be established between the two group of devices that you are referring to, the major reason being the difference in the intended target population.

Refer to Art. 61 (Clinical Evaluation) for MDR equivalence criteria. More details can be found in MedDev Rev 4.

Hello,

I need some clarification in equivalent device. Our product is CE marked/certified since 2010. Now we are in re-certification process. In this case still we need to prove with any equivalent device with our device? Also the re-certification process initiated with the same NB, who certified us in 2015 (as per Rev3), in this case, do we need to prove the equivalence with equivalent device to the same NB again.

FoGia

Involved In Discussions
The short answer is: yes. The CER is a standalone document that could be reviewed by a party without prior knowledge of the device.

You will also need to update the demonstration of equivalence following the criteria listed in the rev 4.

Dear FoGia,

Thanks for your reply. As per the Meddev 2.7.1/4, in page number 16 of 65, it was given as "Information needed for evaluation of equivalence, if equivalence may
possibly be claimed
" Applicable for Before CE marking. Still the NB insisting us to prove the equivalence of equivalent device. Don't know why..?

FoGia

Involved In Discussions
There is indeed confusion regarding this table. Nowhere is it stated in the MDD that you can't rely on equivalency after your device has been CE-marked. The table assumes that after CE-marking you have gathered sufficient data on your own. Still, as long as you claim equivalency to leverage the data from another device you have to demonstrate it in every CER (according to the rule that a CER should be a standalone document)?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Do we need to create a new CER or can we just update the existing CER EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Adding "new" medical device to existing CER - under MDD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Material from outside CER evaluation period CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
M CER Adverse events - Justification of databases searched EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M CER (Clinical Evaluation Reports) updates - Product Codes EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical device CER (clinical evaluation report) training/seminar services EU Medical Device Regulations 2
H Addressing of Undesirable side-effects, harms, risks and side-effects in clinical evaluation report (CER) EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Medical device CER (clinical evaluation report) according to MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 11
J CER - Literature search strategy and PMV data Timeline - MEDDEV 2.7.1/ Rev 4 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
TheMightyWife Copyright for articles used in CER (Clinical Evaluation Report) EU Medical Device Regulations 16
T CER for Class I device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H CER - Considering similar device/other medical devices for as relevant literature CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
E CER (Clinical Evaluation Report) MEDDEV Version 4 Template wanted CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
B MDR equvalent device - can you use a medicine as an equivalent 'device' EU Medical Device Regulations 8
P What ASTM std is EC 93/42 MDD EQUIVALENT TO CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
P ISO 10993-1:2018 - When will the European equivalent become a Harmonized Standard? Other Medical Device Related Standards 13
GoKats78 ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing - Is there a JIS equivalent to Y14.5? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Kuldeep Singh EU MDR Requirements on Equivalent devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K What is IATF equivalent of "ISO Coordinator" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C MEDDEV equivalent requirement to CFR 806.20 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T What is the Rev C equivalent for an RABQSA AS9100 Certified Lead Auditor course? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
S Finding a substantial Equivalent Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
J Is c RU us equivalent to c UL us? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
B A question of Non-conformity specifics - AQAP2120 (The MOD's equivalent to ISO9001) General Auditing Discussions 1
S Excel Help - Equivalent of "Range($G$14:$AD$121).Select" in R1C1 notation Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 5
0 Standard that is the equivalent to ISO 22000 but for the non-food industry Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 7
B Is there a MDR (Medical Device Reporting) equivalent in China ? China Medical Device Regulations 1
Ajit Basrur Is there an European equivalent of FDA Debarment List? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Equivalent CE for export to Japan - Stand exibition with LED lights CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B Degree equivalent to a US Master Degree Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A EASA Certification Acceptance - The Russian equivalent of EASA Part 145 (Maintenance) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
D ASTM E165 Liquid Penetrant Equivalent Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 6
K Equivalent role of QP (Qualified Person) in FDA Regulations Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
V What are the Equivalent ISO standards for ASTM standards related to STEEL? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
sonflowerinwales Is there a Process Equivalent to NASA Special NDI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
T EU equivalent of the Spaulding Classification (Disinfection vs. Sterilization) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Does Canada have an equivalent to FDA preIDE meeting? Canada Medical Device Regulations 4
M Is any standard in Russia equivalent to those of the family IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
J Where to find info about equivalent standards? ESD issues Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
D Is EN 10204 3.1 an Equivalent Standard to 'COD QC 3.1 Rev 7 2009'? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
R Formula for calculating Money Value equivalent to 1% FPY (First Pass Yield) Six Sigma 5
S Visual inspection standards - VDA 16 or Equivalent Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
L Is En 10204:2004 (e) 3.1 equivalent to ASTM A788? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
D Equivalent Standard for Samarium Cobalt 26 (MMPA No.0100-00) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K DIN 16901 (withdrawn) - Are there any equivalent standard? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
F Biocompatible plastic or equivalent - TECAFORM or POM-C Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Identifying "or equivalent" Test Equipment when written in a Procedure Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
N Proving a Medical Device is equivalent to another device from Literature Review EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Control Plans - VDA equivalent of AIAG APQP & Control Plan Manual VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
R NAS410 Rev-3 - Equivalent in Technical Content to EN 4179, Edition 4 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2