Certificate of Need (CON) and FDA Requirements

Sue789

Involved In Discussions
I am a UK start-up company in the early stages of designing an electro/mechanical medical device and do not expect to complete clinical trials until 2018.

An employee is in the process of negating a sale with a DoH that require a Certificate of Need (CON) to be completed and one of the requirements that I have been given is I must be in contact with the FDA so he can complete his application.As a Company with no products on the marketplace and a class II device I had no intention of involving the FDA until the testing had been completed.

Can anybody put any light on what contact with the FDA I need to satisfy the DoH CON or where I can find this information?

I have looked on the relevant DoH website and could not find anything to help me.

Thank you in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I am a UK start-up company in the early stages of designing an electro/mechanical medical device and do not expect to complete clinical trials until 2018.

An employee is in the process of negating a sale with a DoH that require a Certificate of Need (CON) to be completed and one of the requirements that I have been given is I must be in contact with the FDA so he can complete his application.As a Company with no products on the marketplace and a class II device I had no intention of involving the FDA until the testing had been completed.

Can anybody put any light on what contact with the FDA I need to satisfy the DoH CON or where I can find this information?

I have looked on the relevant DoH website and could not find anything to help me.

Thank you in advance.
Hi,

I assume that the employee is in the process of negotiating a sale, not of negating it...

It would assist if you could clarify what country/state you refer to when mentioning the DoH, i.e. the DoH of what country/state.

one of the requirements that I have been given is I must be in contact with the FDA so he can complete his application
Who gave you this requirement?
What sort of "contact" is required with the FDA? Was a certain process or documentation that the FDA runs called out?
Who is "he" in "he can complete his application"?

Being successful in QA / regulatory affairs is many times about being clear and precise.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:
M

MIREGMGR

Some USA states, in order to manage healthcare patient capacity and therefore healthcare costs, won't allow care facilities to buy capital equipment without issuance by the state's Health Department or similar state regulatory body of a Certificate of Need (CON).

In some states...all that I know of with such a system, actually...a CON won't be issued for a device for which the marketer cannot show completion of US FDA regulatory requirements for legal marketing. I don't understand how your prospective buyer expects a CON to be obtained, unless he or she doesn't yet understand that the device is still in clinicals and isn't yet legally marketable.

A comprehensive explanation of the US CON system is at http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/con-certificate-of-need-state-laws.aspx.

In some instances, a US institution with an IRB can obtain a system for which an IDE has been obtained without a CON by obtaining an IRB exception. Normally, though, this must be done at whatever price can be negotiated without the buyer being eligible for reimbursement for procedures done on the IDE equipment until it becomes legally marketable and the CON is applied for and (the buyer hopes) granted.

Last edited by a moderator:

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Thank you in advance.
All that I can see is that you have to get the 510k for your medical device, and inform that to whoever is negating a sale.

Sue789

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

Thank you very much for your quick responses, the state in question is New York and this is as far as I am aware the first time the employee has been involved in a tender in the USA. There is a money incentive but not sure what it is only that part of it we have to have a manufacturing facility in New York state.
The requirement came from the employee and I am waiting detailed information from his contact and have requested the wording that I have to comply with.

‘a CON won't be issued for a device for which the marketer cannot show completion of US FDA regulatory requirements for legal marketing. I don't understand how your prospective buyer expects a CON to be obtained, unless he or she doesn't yet understand that the device is still in clinicals and isn't yet legally marketable.’

The employee is very aware that the device has not been built and is very keen for a sale in New York; I have no project documentation available (not even requirement specifications!). A previous employee who is no longer with the Company had said that they would contact the FDA during 2014 and go the route of a Pre-Submission. I put a stop to this as in my experience a class II device a 510(k) will be sufficient and a Pre-Submission is not necessary.
Miregmgr thanks for the link I will investigate.

Last edited:

mihzago

Trusted Information Resource
you cannot offer a medical device for sale that has not been cleared or approved by the FDA; so negotiating a sale is against the regulations.
You cannot claim safety and performance of a device that does not have a clearance/approval.

This is also one of the reasons as a few people mentioned earlier that you cannot get the CON.

Unless the "sale" is for the clinical trial purposes, but that raises a serious question/issue of bias.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
B Supplier Certificate Suspended in OASIS - Do we need stage 1 and 2 to reinstate cert? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S Does Contract Manufacturer need to issue Food Grade certificate for finished device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Outsource Production Line need ISO13485 Certificate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Need Exclusions to be shown in ISO 9001 Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Certificate of Free Sales (CFS) - Need to attach to each lot of exported product? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Which certificate do we need? - Expanding in the medical product market Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
C Which certificate do I need to manufacture Seat Covers for Aircraft Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 4
G New gage calibrated at factory do I need the certificate? Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
U-DOG Is there a need to notify your customers if your ISO 9001 certificate expires? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Which Subcontractors or Facilities need to be listed on a Quality System Certificate? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
D Training Certificate - I need a form that is in an award type presentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
R Certifications (Certificate) of calibration - Where do I need to have them? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
A Is it mandatory to obtain ISO13485 certificate prior to CE marking? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
R External Audit and Certificate prorogation due to the pandemic General Auditing Discussions 10
A How to make sure whether the predicated device is marked with EC certificate? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
I Is the contract mfg. mentioned in legal manufacturer EC certificate? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Certificate Suspension? Shut down due to Covid-19 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
L Appears to be a certificate mill certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
D ISO 9001 & AS9100 Certificate issued by a consultant for a Distributor Registrars and Notified Bodies 11
J CE Certificate and additional processing EU Medical Device Regulations 4
bryan willemot Chemical / physical certificate of conformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
B IATF certificate suspended - Who do we notify? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
H What is different between PED certificate and CPR certificate? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Migrate ISO 9001:2015 Certificate Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
M How to read a calibration certificate for thermo hygrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
V Calibration certificate verification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
A Calibration Certificate Results General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
E Calibration Certificate Content Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M IATF 16949:2016 clause 8.4.2.3 - We don't have ISO 9001:2015 certificate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
S Boeing D6-51991 Product Acceptance Software certificate and Artefact? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J COC (Certificate of Conformity) when NOT purchasing medical devices direct from the Manufacturer Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P List of ISO certificate registrars around the world - ISO certification databases ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
F EC in EC certificate - Is it an EC Certificate or a CE certificate? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
K Inspection Certificate EN 10204 2.1 - Distribution company Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
D CB Certificate - Distributor for a product with electrical components CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
P Non-Active Suppliers on CE Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Interpretation of Article 16 (2b) - Packaging, samples and Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 10
R List of countries that require only CE Mark certificate for product registration Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
K CFG (certificate of foreign government) Requestor Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
H Transferring an ISO 13485 certificate to a new CB - Do I have to start from scratch? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
GStough Informational SN EN ISO 9001:2015 and SN EN ISO 13485:2016 on Same Certificate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
T CE Certification Strategy - Expanding the validity of certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 1