SBS - The best value in QMS software

Certification Body Changeover - Transfer of Certificate

SKS04

Registered
Hi,
I have certain questions regarding certification body changeover.
There were non-conformities in the surveillance audit and next is recertification audit. The corrective actions were submitted and were accepted by CB. The contract (3 years) has finished as it will be recertification audit next. The reason of change-over of CB is that estimate of auditing, this time is high.
The questions are:
a) "Is it worth to change the certification body, especially, if there were non-conformities from previous audit and corrective actions will be verified"?
b) Will the change of CB, result-in stage 1 and stage 2 audit or re-assessment only?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove.

What standard(s)? Is the certificate properly accredited? Why the "sudden" increase in auditor-days? Has the CB explain the reason?

The CERTIFICATE TRANSFER process is "controlled" by an IAF Mandatory Document; see below.

Screenshot 2021-04-02 163539.jpg

SKS04

Registered
Hi Sidney,
Thanks for providing the document.
Is the certificate properly accredited? Pls. explain. The CB is attached to accredited body and is referenced on the certificate issued. It is a renowned CB.
Why the "sudden" increase in auditor-days? It is not the increase in auditor days but if compared to last year (surveillance audit) or compared to initial certification, the estimate and few other costs are increased.
Has the CB explain the reason? Yes. That the cost is because the cost incurred by the issuing body has to maintain their accreditation.
Additional questions: a) What is certification review? b) Does it include review of minor non-conformities-corrective actions from previous CB which were accepted but to be verified? c) Does it include review of minor non-conformities-corrective actions from previous CB which were accepted and verified (in the past)?

Randy

Super Moderator
OK, I've done about a dozen certificate transfers in the last year or so and some clients held multiple certificates, so I'm not guessing here.

The non-conformances will be subject for review during the Transfer audit, they don't necessarily have to be closed but they are reviewed and it would be much better if they could be closed.

If the next audit is scheduled to be a Recertification then the new CB will do a recertification, if its a surveillance then its's going to be a surveillance.

As for the "high time" for your durations, here's the deal (and I just discussed this in another Thread with someone). All "Accredited Certification Bodies" such as the one I've been with and just as the one Sidney above has been associated with are required to follow the exact same requirements for determining audit duration, where they will vary is in justifying increases or decreases in audit duration... Some apparently don't decrease but they will increase....Why?..... Depends on the justification"s used but the bottom line is "$". A decrease in duration is a decrease in revenue generated, whereas not changing duration or increasing duration can stabilize or bring in additional cashflow. The document used by CB's, like the one above, is published by the International Accreditation Forum or "IAF" as we call it and it's MD-5 and I pack it everywhere I go and share it with all my audit clients. I also have the one Sidney showed along with half a dozen others that I have to continuously refer to in my audit work. Here is the link to all IAF documents. (Free pdf downloadable) and you'll find IAF MD-5:2019 in the list.

IAF Publications: Mandatory Documents

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi Sidney,
Thanks for providing the document.
Is the certificate properly accredited? Pls. explain. The CB is attached to accredited body and is referenced on the certificate issued. It is a renowned CB.
Why the "sudden" increase in auditor-days? It is not the increase in auditor days but if compared to last year (surveillance audit) or compared to initial certification, the estimate and few other costs are increased.
Has the CB explain the reason? Yes. That the cost is because the cost incurred by the issuing body has to maintain their accreditation.
Additional questions: a) What is certification review? b) Does it include review of minor non-conformities-corrective actions from previous CB which were accepted but to be verified? c) Does it include review of minor non-conformities-corrective actions from previous CB which were accepted and verified (in the past)?
OK a recertification audit is factored different than a surveillance audit. A Recert is 2/3rds the time of an initial certification and an annual surveillance is factored at 1/3rd of an initial certification.......... Example - if an initial certification is 12 days, a Recert is 8 days and a surveillance is 4 days (that's not counting justified increases or decreases in duration)...... Simple math and everyone plays by the same rules

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi Randy,
Thanks for providing the information and the link to all IAF documents.
You bet and good luck. They may do then transfer on or offsite, normal for me is off because it's mainly a paper drill. Either way is allowed.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
That the cost is because the cost incurred by the issuing body has to maintain their accreditation.
As per the IAF Mandatory Document that I provided earlier, one of the questions you should be answering to the incoming CB is: WHY the transfer? Your reasoning seems to be COSTS. So, you are doing what is normally known in the industry as CB shopping. While costs of certification is something that needs to be considered, be aware that this very forum is full of examples of poor CB auditing faux pas; some in part, can be traced back to incompetent auditors, those who tend to work for less money. So, many times, the cheapest is not always the right choice.

But, you have not answered my first question; what standard(s)? The document above applies to most standards, but not all. IATF 16949, for example, has it's own certificate transfer requirements, above and beyond the IAF process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
M Informational EU – First IVDR designated Notified Body – DEKRA Certification GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – DEKRA Certification GmbH is the third Notified Body designated under the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Reasons to change certification body and typical costs Registrars and Notified Bodies 16
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M AS 9100 - Requirement to become Certification Body (CB) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Notified body - CE Certification Class 2a Products in India CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M ISO TS 16949 Transfer to another CB (Certification Body) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Tentatively approaching a Certification Body - Any tips? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
F Rules to respect when changing from Certification Body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
JoCam Use of ISO Logos if company is not certified by an accredited certification body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M ISO 9001 Certification of the QMS of a Certification Body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D What are the requirements of a Auditor for a Certification Body ? Career and Occupation Discussions 11
J CRB (Certification Registration Body) Notification of Potential Escape AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
E Recognition of Certification Body Reports in different Countries Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
M How to find a Good Registrar (Certification Body) for ISO TS 16949 certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
N Certification Body recommendations for CE Audit in India Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
D Using a different Notified Body for ISO 13485 Certification & Device Certificate CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
M Has anyone used SGS as a CB (Certification Body)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
G CB (Certification Body) Transfer and Certificate Expiry Date AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
S Management Manual Submission to the Certification Body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R What body conducts 21 CFR 820 FDA certification? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
A Want to Know How to open a Certification Body in India ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
I Complaining for Certification Body's Quality Mark and Logo ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Certification Body insist on evidence of Preventive Action during Stage 2 audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
A Which Certification Body (CB) to Choose Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
B Bureau Veritas Certification Body: SAI global ?BSI? Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
W How you can evaluate ISO 9001 Certification Body (CB) Auditors during their visits? Registrars and Notified Bodies 19
J How does CB (Certification Body) 'Licensing' work? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
S Interesting ITAR related question from our Certification Body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Howard Atkins What you as an auditee should know about your CB (Certification Body) Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
A CB (Certification Body) Audits not up to Scratch? General Auditing Discussions 28
S AS9100 rev C Transition and CB (Certification Body) Transfer AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Sidney Vianna Do you scrutinize your supplier's choice of certification body (registrar)? Registrars and Notified Bodies 13
P New Certification Body Recommendations Required Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
M Permissible Authorities of CB (Certification Body) Auditors General Auditing Discussions 3
S Certification Body (Registrar) Evaluation Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
L Frequency of CB (Certification Body aka Registrar) Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
B Certification Body - Should I contact them before Documentation Process or After? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
V TS 16949 3rd Party (Certification Body) Audits of Remote Sites IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J Certification Body Quotations Registrars and Notified Bodies 18
J Certification Body follow up on clearing Audit Nonconformances Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
J Certification Body - Time Frame to Reject an Appeal Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
M Corrective Action Report (CAR) for CB (Certification Body) required? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
M Arm Twisting by CB (Certification Body) Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
B Certification Body for ISO 9712:2005 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
J In-House Trainings by CB (Certification Body) Registrars and Notified Bodies 6