Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020

I am an IATF internal auditor for my company and I noticed that my certificate has an expiration date of 08/2020. I cannot find any requirement that says I need to go through another IATF auditor training to become recertified, just that I must "maintain competence". Our procedure says that the way we maintain and improve auditor competence is by requiring all our internal auditors to complete at least 2 audits a year. We also go over any internal and external changes in regards to auditing and customer requirements. I don't think it is necessary for me to go through another 5 days of IATF auditor training just to get a certificate if there's been no changes to the standard. Should I be doing something else to prove that I have been maintaining my competence as an internal auditor? Is it ok if I don't have a more up to date certificate? How would an external auditor react to my certificate being expired?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Johnny Quality

Involved In Discussions
In the eyes of the standard I do not see any issues with you not re-certifying as long as you meet your own procedures and customer requirements.

I've had a look at some of the OEM's CTR's and GM requires qualified ISO:9001 lead auditors for CQI audits (how they are qualified and who can qualify them I'm not sure...) , see if any of your customers require qualifications and to what standard.

So no, I can't see your auditor having an issue assuming you meet your procedures and your customer requirements.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
There is no requirement for retraining as a lead auditor for your company. The only way ways i can think of would be if your internal requirements state you must recertify after X number of year, or, you have a CSR stating a need to recertify. You just have to be competent.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q IATF 16949 certification without automotive products in "production" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R Timeframe for IATF 16949 certification to accumulate evidence of conformance of systems? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Sidney Vianna Informational UTC ASQR Rev.11 has a mistake; certification of distributors to IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
M Eligibility for certification to IATF 16949 - Exclusions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Coury Ferguson Report the CB... Certification Audit (IATF 16949) not to ISO 17021 Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
M Is there a published List of AIAG members requiring IATF certification ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A IATF certification for pass through supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S How can a R&D center pass IATF 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Adding Remote Site to Current IATF 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J IATF 16949 - Company Sold - Remote Location Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Do I need IATF 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R IATF 16949 certification rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L Informational IATF 16949 certification requirement for Tier 2/Tier 3 Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
T Are online IATF 16949 training/certification worth the investment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
T Customer special status and initial IATF certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S Has anyone completed IATF 16949 Certification - Share your Audit Experience? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition 3rd Edition FAQ?s - Certification Decision 5.12 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Certification Scheme for ISO/TS 16949:2002 - Rules for achieving IATF Recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
automoto Requirements of certification bodies recognized by IATF for ISO/TS 16949:2002 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 12
P "Opportunities for Improvement" definition in IATF Certification Rules? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Certification body has a consultancy arm - Also this CB is not listed in IATF list Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S IATF Certification Rules - "Rules for Achieving IATF Recognition" 2nd edition soon? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 14
D Supplier ISO 9001:2000 Certification Requirment - IATF Guidance Manual Contradiction? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
M ISO 13485-2016 online certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
K USB VID/PID certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
J How much to charge for helping a startup company with initial ISO 13485 certification? Consultants and Consulting 3
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
N Any experience with Registrars that deny Certification to a Registrant? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
J Hitrust Certification (HIPPA etc.) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P ISO 13485:2016 MDSAP Certification Fee Survey ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
K Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Exam - November 2020 preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
B Advantages of a corporate certification scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R FCC certification (contract manufacturer) TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1