Certification Organizations (Registrars) - Which are good?

D

dbzman

Hello everyone!

My company has asked me to research some certification organizations to see if we can save some money.

At the present we use Intertek and I need to get quotes from them and a few other certification bodies so that I can present them to our corporate headquarters.

Who are you using and are they good?

Thanks!

:D

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Good is a relevant term kinda like beauty, inexpensive or tasty.

I work for a registration body and I like to think we are "good".

Are some better than others? Yep.

Who are they? That again is relevant

In you quest insist that the registration body possesses a valid, recognizable accreditation. Odds are if they do, they are good.

There can and will always be exceptions.

T

tsmith7858

Randy is right, it is all relative.

When I recommended a CB last year at my company cost was only one of the elements. In fact I did not recommend the cheapest because they did not meet my needs.

List out what you want from a CB and go from there. Examples: Are you looking for multiple registrations or focused on one standard? Does it matter if they have dedicated auditors? Do you want industry specific auditors?

If you don't spell out your wants and needs, you will not be able to compare costs and determine the value.

D

dbzman

Randy is right, it is all relative.

When I recommended a CB last year at my company cost was only one of the elements. In fact I did not recommend the cheapest because they did not meet my needs.

List out what you want from a CB and go from there. Examples: Are you looking for multiple registrations or focused on one standard? Does it matter if they have dedicated auditors? Do you want industry specific auditors?

If you don't spell out your wants and needs, you will not be able to compare costs and determine the value.
I agree, but what I need is some registrars who I can get quotes from.
I could just do a web search but I would rather get some names from the forum members.

Thanks!

:thanx:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
James, what standards do you need the CB to be accredited/approved for?

ISO/TS 16949? AS9100? ISO 9001? ISO 14001? Anything else?

D

dbzman

If we switch registrars do we have to start at the beginning of the registration process or will they accept the current certificate from our current registrar?

:bonk:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
If we switch registrars do we have to start at the beginning of the registration process or will they accept the current certificate from our current registrar?
Transfer of duly accredited certificates is possible. Check the IAF document IAF MD 2:2007 Transfer of Accredited Certification of Management Systems
(Issue 1, issued on 14 December 2007; Application from 15 September 2008)
This document is mandatory for the consistent application of Clause 9.1.1. of ISO/IEC 17021:2006 and is based upon guidance previously provided in IAF GD2: 2005 Annex 4 and IAF GD6:2006 Annex 2. All clauses of ISO/IEC 17021:2006 continue to apply and this document does not supersede any of the requirements in that standard. This mandatory document is not intended exclusively for Quality Management Systems (QMS) and Environmental Management Systems (EMS) and may be used for other management systems.

Please note that certification against certain standards, such as the TS 16949, don't follow the process described in the above hyperlinked document.

J

John Martinez

Hello everyone!

My company has asked me to research some certification organizations to see if we can save some money.

At the present we use Intertek and I need to get quotes from them and a few other certification bodies so that I can present them to our corporate headquarters.

Who are you using and are they good?

Thanks!

:D
Keep in mind "you get what you pay for". I understand companies want to save some bucks; however, it has been my experience that what you save in audit day rate gets eaten up quick by an overbloated system forced upon you by what an under experience auditor THINKS an effective system should look like.

If I were you, I'd would try to get a phone interview of your proposed auditor. I think there is a list of questions that is published somewhere.

Give us an update if you decide to change and the results.

Keep in mind "you get what you pay for". I understand companies want to save some bucks; however, it has been my experience that what you save in audit day rate gets eaten up quick by an overbloated system forced upon you by what an under experience auditor THINKS an effective system should look like.

If I were you, I'd would try to get a phone interview of your proposed auditor. I think there is a list of questions that is published somewhere.

Give us an update if you decide to change and the results.
I totally agree and would add that it's more than just the auditor that counts in the Client/CB relationship, just as for all supplier relationships. Pinning the success of your audit to one person is risky. It's far better to research exactly what you are dealing with beyond an auditor - what happens if they leave/retire etc? 'Back office' problems are just as likely to cause problems as a cranky or inexperienced auditor, in my experience!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D ISO-9001 Certification - Exploitation of tiny organizations Imported Legacy Blogs 7
K Consultants and Certification Organizations are Working Together Consultants and Consulting 11
Hershal How many organizations here require personnel professional certification(s)? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
P Which Organizations can obtain Certification/Registration to ISO/TS 16949:2002? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
eldercare Multi-Site ISO/AS Certification Requirement for some sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
Casana ISO 17025 - Contractor certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
blackholequasar ISO 13485 certification prior to Medical Device Manufacturing... worth it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Commonizing use of Certification Body providers within a Global Organization Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
H R&D Lab ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Significant subcontractor update, still under MDD Certification, possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S How to calculate Effective Number of People for ISO 13485 Certification? General Auditing Discussions 2
S Inventory prior to AS9120 certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 12
F Medical cart self certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Managed Certification Projects FAA vs EASA EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
B Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Book - Fundamentals of Medical Device Regulations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B IATF Certification Body Recommendations Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
C Certification vs Accreditation Training (General) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I Class VI certification on seals, o-ring and plastic for a WFI system Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
G Trying to get a financially reasonable ISO Certification Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
A Selling products with OEM certification expired EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G ISO 13485 Certification - Can we get the ISO 13485 certification prior to shipment of the device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Does anyone use SGS for ISO 13485 / CE certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
S Clean room not part of my certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J EC Certification transfer from CMO to Legal Manufacturer Possible? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
A Can a organization use a disclaimer "pending AS9100 Certification" in Marketing Information? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Certification Body Changeover - Transfer of Certificate Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
N Traditional 510K Submission-Financial Certification or Disclosure Statement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Quality Objective for QMS prior to Certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
J Where to get a Black belt certification ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
D ISO 13485 & CE Certification for Surgical Gloves CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
K MDR Class 1 Self Certification - Competent Authority or Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R GMDN and UMDNS Codes certification EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M ISO 13485:2016 Certification Scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Budgetary cost to obtain ASME NQA-1 Quality Program Certification Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 0
V Certified Auditor - Need of additional certification specific to industry ( GMPs) ASQ vs ECA vs others Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification for military customers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Scope for ISO 13485 Certification of a Translation Service Provider ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
A ISO 13485 Certification for Resin Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
X ISO 17025 certification for Laboratory for online gambling products ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
N 93/42/EEC certification without ISO 13485 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H What ISO certification is for an IT department? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
P ISO 9001 certification with zero customers? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11