Certification process for registered device

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

Our device is currently self-certified as IVD medical device, as Other/General type and it is valid until next year 26th May 2022.

Due to the changes in the Regulation, we believe the rules are now better defined and we would like to certified it under MDR.

My question is - if we go to the NBs with request to certify the device under MDR, does it affect the self-certification under IVDD?

The last thing needed is a recall due to the suspension of the certificate. And, yes, we are aware of the timelines.

Any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Cheers!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
If you are correctly self-certified under the IVDD, then discussing the IVDR with your notified body should not effect your IVDD certification.

As you say, the timelines for IVDR certification are very tight and many notified bodies have backlogs of technical files to review. I would talk to the NB as soon as possible and establish what they need and how long it will take.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
Your NB expects this type of communication. I would reach out to your NB Industry engagement representative first to make sure your questions receive proper answers; Dont go in through the technical team first IMO.

LUFAN

Involved In Discussions
There are plenty of firms that offer MDR Classification consultancy as well (most are lawyers). You can get their legal opinion on the matter and then use it as your basis of achieving MDR certification.

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
First, thank you all for sharing your point of view.

The biggest problem is that we don't have NB at the moment since it wasn't necessary in the past due to the fact that device was self-certified.

I wouldn't want to jeopardize the current status of the devices by going to a NB to get the answer that the certificate will be invalid due to the change from IVDD to MDR (and, no, it is not IVDR) when the DoC under IVDD is still valid for almost an entire year.

The legal consultancy sounds as the best solution, at the moment.

LUFAN

Involved In Discussions
First, thank you all for sharing your point of view.

The biggest problem is that we don't have NB at the moment since it wasn't necessary in the past due to the fact that device was self-certified.

I wouldn't want to jeopardize the current status of the devices by going to a NB to get the answer that the certificate will be invalid due to the change from IVDD to MDR (and, no, it is not IVDR) when the DoC under IVDD is still valid for almost an entire year.

The legal consultancy sounds as the best solution, at the moment.
I've never used Axon for classifications but I've read a ton of their position papers and Erik Vollebregt's presentations online. Might be a good starting point for you: A unique perspective to life science.

Where are you located? If you're outside of the EU, your (future) authorized representative if a third-party would also be a good option.

Raisin picker

Involved In Discussions
If your current certificate is valid until May 2022, and you have not started certification under MDR already, prepare for a gap where you do not have a valid certificate. For the first certification, you should calculate 12 to 18 months, especially when your technical file has never been assessed before.
You definitely should start to talk to NBs.

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
I've never used Axon for classifications but I've read a ton of their position papers and Erik Vollebregt's presentations online. Might be a good starting point for you: A unique perspective to life science.

Where are you located? If you're outside of the EU, your (future) authorized representative if a third-party would also be a good option.
Thanks, I actually follow Erik's blog and quite value his point of view.

The problem is that this regulatory chaos is left by my predecessor and now it's up to me to clean it up.
I would definitely want to get the classification in order, however, at the same time I have to think about that potential gap on the market from 26th May 2022.

@Raisin picker, not to mention the potential clinical/performance evaluation, which has never been done before. Of course, I want to see with NBs, but my manager is afraid it would start an avalanche he wants to avoid.

Would it be possible to override the CE mark process and register the device directly with CA? Just for a couple of EU state members where we sell.

Thanks guys for the help.

Raisin picker

Involved In Discussions
Well, a few things to consider:
- You have a self certified IVDD. I'm not an IVD person, but for MDR, you could certify your class I device until 2021-05-25 (that is, sign the declaration of conformity), an it will still be valid now. Is that possible with IVDDs as well?
- You claim that under MDR, your IVDD is a medical device. Ist this sure, or open to discussion/interpretation? Your first post suggests you "want to certify under MDR".
- A NB cannot force you to forfeit your DoC. They could, in theory, contact your CA about this. But if you play with open cards, they would assist you to find a legal way to become their customer.
- and last: I do sincerely hope that there is no way the CE certification process can be overridden (except maybe for limited house certifications).

Tell your manager that the avalanche will come sooner or later, and it will not be easier when it comes later.

primavesvera

Involved In Discussions
Well, a few things to consider:
- You have a self certified IVDD. I'm not an IVD person, but for MDR, you could certify your class I device until 2021-05-25 (that is, sign the declaration of conformity), an it will still be valid now. Is that possible with IVDDs as well?
- You claim that under MDR, your IVDD is a medical device. Ist this sure, or open to discussion/interpretation? Your first post suggests you "want to certify under MDR".
- A NB cannot force you to forfeit your DoC. They could, in theory, contact your CA about this. But if you play with open cards, they would assist you to find a legal way to become their customer.
- and last: I do sincerely hope that there is no way the CE certification process can be overridden (except maybe for limited house certifications).

Tell your manager that the avalanche will come sooner or later, and it will not be easier when it comes later.
Unfortunately, I am not sure there is a similar transitional provision for IVDR. That would be the best solution.
At the same time, the device should have been certified as a medical device from the beginning, not an in vitro diagnostic device.

I have to correct myself. :)
Overriding - I have an information there were some countries that allowed medical devices to be registered without having CE mark, because the CA would perform the assessment. However, I am sure with MDR process this has been changed, but I just wanted to see if that still exists as a possibility.

Edit: I am trying to explain the seriousness of the situation, but everybody is so convinced that others will face the same problem and that it will not be possible to leave the EU market without this type of device.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Software Development Company - Who would own the whole process and the certification afterwards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
G Start and main steps of API Q1 Certification Process Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
P Relevance of Offsite backups process compliance and ISO 27001 certification. IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
A API Certification - In Process Control Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
Marc Medical Equipment Inmetro Certification Process in Brazil - Part 2 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Zinc Plating Process NADCAP Certification Guidance please AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A EC Certification Process and Time Frame for Own Brand Labeling Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M ISO 9001 Registration Process - Timeline for obtaining ISO 9001 certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
B I want to understand the ISO certification process. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Medical Device Certification Process of Argentina and Russia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N How do I start the OHSAS 18001:2007 Certification Process Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 17
F Management Involvement / Commitment - CEO involvement in the certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
S How do I start the process of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
C Outsourced process and customer requirement of ISO/TS certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Certification Body - Should I contact them before Documentation Process or After? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B DIACAP (DoD Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process) and CON Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
M Medical Equipment Inmetro Certification Process in Brazil - Part 1 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 47
Q AS9100 Certification Process - It would automatically include ISO9001 Registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N Certification Audit Nonconformance - Outsourced Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P SPICE (Software Process Improvement and Capability Determination) Certification Software Quality Assurance 3
Y ISO/TS 16949 "Certification" & "Product and Process Design" Clauses IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
C Certification process for small consultancy practice far away from main cities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
B Declining Standard of QMS Certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
B Requirements for AS9100 Contract Machine Shop in FAA Certification Process Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
M AS9120 Certification Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
T Mil Std Certification for a Semiconductor Burn-In Process provider Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
B AS9100 Certification Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Two Stage Certification Process - ISO14001 and ISO/TS 16949:2002 General Auditing Discussions 6
K Buy In and Understanding of ISO Implementation and Certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M When is the ISO 9001 Surveillance Audit? Certification process for ISO9001:2000 General Auditing Discussions 4
R MQ12005 - Caterpillar Quality Certification Process Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
R Documents required for certification process - AS/EN/JISQ9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S How to handle certification process - Firm's division recently established abroad ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc What do you know about Ford's QVM certification process? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Govind CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) - NEW ASQ Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
R What is the process of certification of a company to IOSO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Experiences good or bad with the RAB certification process ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 8
S Certification of equipment after move General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
J Help to understand and response to API AAR during the re-certification audit Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 17
G Medical Device Auditor (CMDA) certification exam by ASQ - looking for input Career and Occupation Discussions 3
D Automotive Customer asking for ISO 14001 Certification from suppliers ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
I Foreign manufacturer registered place of business in EU for CE certification EU Medical Device Regulations 1
eldercare Multi-Site ISO/AS Certification Requirement for some sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
Casana ISO 17025 - Contractor certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
blackholequasar ISO 13485 certification prior to Medical Device Manufacturing... worth it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Commonizing use of Certification Body providers within a Global Organization Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
M Can we combine AS9100 and DO-254 certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
H R&D Lab ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11