Certification process for small consultancy practice far away from main cities

C

cormorant

Hi All,

We are a small engineering consultancy that is planning to become ISO 9001:2008 certified next year. Currently we are hoping to:
  • Purchase one of the available templates as a starting point,
  • Prepare Quality manual & procedures
  • Implement documented system
  • Perform internal audits
  • Pre-assessment by certification body
  • CPA of audit findings
  • Final certification
I would like to know if this a realistic way of tackling the process and what's the best way to choose a certification body. We have quotes from a few so far but they all seem to include preliminary audits which I don't think we'll need and on top of that annual visits for at least $1,725 each year.

Are these a necessary aspect of maintaining certification? And are these costs typical of certifiers? I must admit that we are in Alice Springs which is at least 1500km from other main cities in Australia so we are hoping to do as much by email and telephone when dealing with interstate organisations.

Thanks in advance and if there is another thread which already features a relevant response please let me know.

Cheers

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Certification process

Hi Cormorant, and welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

Whether this is a realistic plan or not is hard for me to say: It depends a lot on how much knowledge you start out with, the complexity of your processes, the company size and your type of activities. I have no idea about prices down under either, but skipping the preliminary audits may not be such a hot idea: They often provide information that helps you avoid unnecessary surprises in the certification audit.

Another aspect is how your current system works (It may not be official, or even written down, but we all have some guidelines telling us how to run our businesses). Is it running smoothly?

/Claes

C

cormorant

Thanks for the response Claes. :)

Our knowledge is fairly basic to begin with but then so are most of our processes - there are only 6 employees - and the way we deal with our projects (feasibility studies for renewable energy projects, renewable energy system design and project management) is pretty consistent across the board. The organisation has only been in existence since 2007 and so far things are going smoothly.

I understand that skipping the preliminary audit might not be ideal, but since external auditing includes a pre-assessment stage 1 and then a stage 2 audit I thought that would be enough.

Has anyone worked with any of the QMS templates available? I've had difficulty finding reviews of these.

Cheers

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

<snip>Has anyone worked with any of the QMS templates available? I've had difficulty finding reviews of these.

Cheers
Here at The Cove Forums, we have all the support information you need. :agree1:
Just find the Post Attachment List, type in a keyword and voila!

I would stay away from canned stuff.
You spend more time (and money) modifying to make it work for you than it's worth.

Stijloor.

Last edited:

I understand that skipping the preliminary audit might not be ideal, but since external auditing includes a pre-assessment stage 1 and then a stage 2 audit I thought that would be enough.
I would suggest a preliminary assessment if you have never experienced a Certification Body audit or don't have an external QMS consultant to help you. As a matter of clarification, a 'Stage 1' audit is NOT a 'pre-assessment'. The purpose of the stage 1 is to plan and prepare for the stage 2. The stage 1 has, therefore, a different focus to the pre-assessment, which an be used as a brief version of the 'stage 2'.

In practice, a small company like yours will probably have a stage 2 of about the same duration as a pre-assessment. Certification Bodies rarely schedule less than 1 day, so you'll have to answer the question of whether you'd get sufficient value from a pre-assessment. I'd recommend you find a good consultant, have them do the pre-assessment and give you some preparatory tips as they do it. You can't expect the 'tips' from a CB auditor!

Last edited:
J

JaneB

In practice, a small company like yours will probably have a stage 2 of about the same duration as a pre-assessment. Certification Bodies rarely schedule less than 1 day, so you'll have to answer the question of whether you'd get sufficient value from a pre-assessment. I'd recommend you find a good consultant, have them do the pre-assessment and give you some preparatory tips as they do it. You can't expect the 'tips' from a CB auditor!
Very sound advice from Andy, as often. I agree with him. You'll get better value from the pre-assessment from a good (please note, good!) consultant - who can advise you on ways to meet shortfalls. Auditors aren't permitted to advise you, only to say whether you do/do not meet requirements.

Woops - I only just realised you're in the same part of the world so sorry, the previous email might sound as though I'm touting for biz, which I'm not. The advice still stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

qualitytrec

I agree with Andy and Jane, especially if this is your first time going through registration with a company. A good auditor/consultant will help find things you may well be blind to due to your familiarity with your company and learning application of the standard to your managment system.
I agree with Stijloor in that the canned software is, in every case I have seen, more work than it is worth.
As far as the fees they seem in line to me.

Mark

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
I would like to suggest to deal with the ISO 9001 certification as a project for the Company.
So it could be helpfull to assign a Project manager to track timelines, cost ad result.
For example this could be the Quality representative.
As preliminary try to follow an extensive training on QMS standards as well as quality audit: in this way the assigned resource will be able to deploy the training and information across all company.
After following this formative path, he /she will be able to perform a gap assessment of the organization towards the standards.
Then each gap shall be fullfilled, working for examle in team , by organizing a steering committee towards ISO 9001 certification.
The secret is the involvement and partecipation of all employees, management shall sponsor and support the achievement putting this as a quality objectives, in function of Company business plan.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
What some engineering consultants over here did was to work through the local branch of their engineering institute - get a group of consultants interested in setting up a system and then engage an ISO Consultant. It is cheaper but they get less individual attention.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H API monogram 4F - Certification process Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 12
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Software Development Company - Who would own the whole process and the certification afterwards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
G Start and main steps of API Q1 Certification Process Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
P Relevance of Offsite backups process compliance and ISO 27001 certification. IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
A API Certification - In Process Control Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
Marc Medical Equipment Inmetro Certification Process in Brazil - Part 2 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
J Zinc Plating Process NADCAP Certification Guidance please AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A EC Certification Process and Time Frame for Own Brand Labeling Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M ISO 9001 Registration Process - Timeline for obtaining ISO 9001 certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
B I want to understand the ISO certification process. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Medical Device Certification Process of Argentina and Russia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N How do I start the OHSAS 18001:2007 Certification Process Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 17
F Management Involvement / Commitment - CEO involvement in the certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 36
S How do I start the process of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
C Outsourced process and customer requirement of ISO/TS certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Certification Body - Should I contact them before Documentation Process or After? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B DIACAP (DoD Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process) and CON Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
M Medical Equipment Inmetro Certification Process in Brazil - Part 1 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 47
Q AS9100 Certification Process - It would automatically include ISO9001 Registration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N Certification Audit Nonconformance - Outsourced Process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
P SPICE (Software Process Improvement and Capability Determination) Certification Software Quality Assurance 3
Y ISO/TS 16949 "Certification" & "Product and Process Design" Clauses IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Declining Standard of QMS Certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
B Requirements for AS9100 Contract Machine Shop in FAA Certification Process Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
M AS9120 Certification Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
T Mil Std Certification for a Semiconductor Burn-In Process provider Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
B AS9100 Certification Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Two Stage Certification Process - ISO14001 and ISO/TS 16949:2002 General Auditing Discussions 6
K Buy In and Understanding of ISO Implementation and Certification process ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
M When is the ISO 9001 Surveillance Audit? Certification process for ISO9001:2000 General Auditing Discussions 4
R MQ12005 - Caterpillar Quality Certification Process Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
R Documents required for certification process - AS/EN/JISQ9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S How to handle certification process - Firm's division recently established abroad ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Marc What do you know about Ford's QVM certification process? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Govind CQPA (Certified Quality Process Analyst) - NEW ASQ Certification Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
R What is the process of certification of a company to IOSO9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Experiences good or bad with the RAB certification process ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 8
Aliken Recommendation for the ISO 13485 certification company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A List of documents to prepare for Re-certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
F Attendance possibility for a certification audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
V ADDING NEW MEDICAL DEVICE / Product, WHEATHER THIS AFFECTS EXISTING ISO 13485 CERTIFICATION? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K SGS Certification - Advice on their Performance Service Industry Specific Topics 9
V ISO 9001 or ISO 17065 required for an organization issuing 5 star rating certification of digital experience? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P How to keep a ISO 9001:2015 certification when a company is sold ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Scope of ISO 13485 certification as legal manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J CMO in Canada do they need MDSAP/13485 certification? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
R ISO 13485 certification scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A AS9100D new certification cost?? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4