Certification services for ISO 13485, CMDCAS 13485, and CE Markings

S

sabrina.qa

I would like to apologize off the bat if this is terribly uninformed.

I've inherited a QMS with certifications for ISO 13485, CMDCAS 13485, and CE Markings.

If we are certified for CMDCAS 13485 anyway, which is ISO 13485 + CMDR requirements, is it necessary for us to also have the cert for the original flavour ISO 13485?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Gert Sorensen

Forum Moderator
Re: Certification services

If you are located outside of the EU and provide products for the EU I believe that you will need a "clean" ISO 13485 certification. The Canada version CAN/CSA ISO 13485 is in terms of compliance not the same as the EN ISO 13485.

S

sabrina.qa

Re: Certification services

From what I understand it is BSI EN ISO 13485 that we're certified to, not CAN/CSA ISO 13485, and our CMDCAS cert is because the QMS addresses the CMDR requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sabrina.qa

Thanks WAF64

I hope this isn't me being dense

but I understood the EC Certificate (Directive 93/42/EEC, Annex V) was what I needed to sell in the EU. (1 certificate)

And then an ISO 13485 certificate issued by a CMDCAS recognised registrar to sell in Canada. (2nd certificate) (Does not specify CAN/CSA) (says SCC)

We have a 3rd certificate and I am (clearly) struggling with the need to have it. It is EN ISO 13485 (says UKAS) - who will refuse the SCC cert above if that is offered in lieu of this one?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
You should ask the NB who issued your EC certificate if they will accept the SCC one. Please also consider that you might need ISO 13485 certification for other markets.

Normally when being EC certified you get 2 certificates - one for EN ISO 13485 and the EC certificate. Usually they both originate from the same NB audit (but not necessarily).

Cheers,
Ronen.

WAF64

Starting to get Involved
Sabrina,
if you want to sell medical devices in EU you are required to meet the quality system requirements outlined in the directive (Annex II and Annex V specifically), but how you are going to do so is left to you.
ISO 13485 is a voluntary tool available to you to meet the quality system requirement. However, although ISO 13485 is voluntary, it is actually considered “the standard” for companies that sell medical devices in Europe. If you are in compliance with ISO 13485 you are presumed to meet the quality system requirements of the MDD 93/42 EEC directive.

Finally, the conformity assessment route may vary based on your device class, so I strongly suggest you to contact your notified body to check out possible alternative conformity assessment routes.

S

sabrina.qa

You should ask the NB who issued your EC certificate if they will accept the SCC one. Please also consider that you might need ISO 13485 certification for other markets.

Normally when being EC certified you get 2 certificates - one for EN ISO 13485 and the EC certificate. Usually they both originate from the same NB audit (but not necessarily).

Cheers,
Ronen.
Hi Ronen,

The same NB issued all 3 certs from the same audit.

My two ISO 13485 certificates look like this:

First one -

"the management system of [company/address] has been assessed and certified as meeting the requirements of

ISO 13485:2003
EN ISO 13485:2012

for the following activities

(activities)
(expiration)
(NB address) (UKAS stamp)"

Second one -

"the management system of [company/address] has been assessed and certified as meeting the requirements of

(identical activities)
(expiration)
(registrar address) (SCC stamp)
CMDCAS recognised registrar"

In what market would the second one be rejected?

It still seems to me that I should be able to satisfy all regulatory authorities with the EC certificate and the second ISO 13485 certificate. Two ISO 13485 certificates seem like overkill!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi Ronen,

The same NB issued all 3 certs from the same audit.

My two ISO 13485 certificates look like this:

First one -

EN ISO 13485:2012

(activities)
(expiration)
(NB address) (UKAS stamp)"

Second one -

(identical activities)
(expiration)
(registrar address) (SCC stamp)
CMDCAS recognised registrar"

In what market would the second one be rejected?

It still seems to me that I should be able to satisfy all regulatory authorities with the EC certificate and the second ISO 13485 certificate. Two ISO 13485 certificates seem like overkill!
If they all came from the same audit and you didn't pay extra for the 3rd certificate, why would you care?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Registrars / Certification Bodies offering consultancy and training services? Registrars and Notified Bodies 17
G TS 16949 Certification for Burn-in services company for semiconductors? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R Medical Device Software Certification IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Requirements to obtain ISO 50001 Certification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
N Any experience with Registrars that deny Certification to a Registrant? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T ISO/IEC 17065 certification scheme Help Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
T Help to Suggest name for a new certification and inspection company Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
J Hitrust Certification (HIPPA etc.) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
T Letter to file for Product Certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
P ISO 13485:2016 MDSAP Certification Fee Survey ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O ANATEL certification of Medical Device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M What happens to certifications if the issuing certification body loses accreditation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
R Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) prep - Practice test versus actual exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
K Regulatory Affairs Certification (RAC) Exam - November 2020 preparation Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
B Advantages of a corporate certification scheme IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
hockeyhead Existing process never included in AS9100 scope of certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R FCC certification (contract manufacturer) TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 1
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
M Customers Request AS9100 certification - Small Company (less than 20 employees) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
S RA (Regulatory Affairs) certification & Online Internship Professional Certifications and Degrees 11
B Directory of Largest Global Certification Bodies (Accredited) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
M CE self-certification for Class I device (face mask) EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D API 6A Certification Question Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
K Restricted Scope of ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
V Iso13485 certification vs CE technical audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Watchcat Duration of MDD Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 4
DuncanGibbons FAA's Building Block approach to certification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
G USAS ISO 9001 Certification, online is it worth it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Using your Manufacturer's ISO certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Nicole Desouza ISO / AS Certification - Small business with less than 100 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
O ISO 9001 new certification advice request - Develop a QMS from scratch ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
G Is ISO 9001:2015 certification worth it for a company that does only contract manufacturing? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 14
M Informational EU – First IVDR designated Notified Body – DEKRA Certification GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Software Development Company - Who would own the whole process and the certification afterwards? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
J ISO 9001 - How to decide if a company needs or will benefit from certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D MDD Certification Validity after May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 12
Watchcat EU Certification - What do you submit to an NB EU Medical Device Regulations 5