Certified Internal auditor is necessary? ISO 9001 requirement?

V

Vinayak Dixit

Hello all.,

I am working for a new start up company which deals in Electrical Control Systems manufacturing. As i am looking after the Quality and certification (ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 ) process for the company, implementation of the IMS structure is a big deal and we have mostly completed the documentation.

Now we are planning to have the internal audits. And for the same we are planning to select the internal auditors from our company only and they are not certified but they are experienced.

So my question is Whether is it necessary to have Certified Internal auditors?????

Is it required ??? If yes why there is nothing mentioned in ISO 9001 ???

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Certified Internal auditor is necessary ? ISO 9001 ask for that ???

ISO 19011 gives the guidance.
Your internal auditors must be trained per this guidance.
If you seek this training from some external agency who are competent, they could certify you, but the ISO 9001 does not ask such. It becomes just your company recognition.
The requirement is the audit to be impartial and with an objective.
The more your people audit, the better they learn, and become experienced.
One of the best learning is to catch from your CB audits ...

Read THIS

Last edited:
L

lk2012

Hi,
If you look in section 8.2.2 Internal audit, you'll find this:
...The selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality of the audit process. Auditors shall not audit their own work.
A documented procedure shall be established to define the responsibilities and requirements for planning and conducting audits, establishing records and reporting results....

In short, ISO9001 does not literally specify 'certified' (by which word I assume you mean 'holding formal qualification'), however, you need to describe in your own procedure what you're expecting the auditors to be like and to do. As a long-standing Automotive industry auditor, I'd recommend having at least one person as a 'Lead auditor' or 'Head auditor' and they would be fully qualified (e.g. having done a formal ISO9001 course for auditing). They can provide internal guidance for others and satisfy any pesky external auditors.

hope this helps
Lil

Hello all.,

I am working for a new start up company which deals in Electrical Control Systems manufacturing. As i am looking after the Quality and certification (ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 ) process for the company, implementation of the IMS structure is a big deal and we have mostly completed the documentation.

Now we are planning to have the internal audits. And for the same we are planning to select the internal auditors from our company only and they are not certified but they are experienced.

So my question is Whether is it necessary to have Certified Internal auditors?????

Is it required ??? If yes why there is nothing mentioned in ISO 9001 ???
No, certification isn't required - for any job (well, maybe some), certainly not for internal auditors. What you want is COMPETENT people to do audits. Competency is the demonstrated ability to apply skills and knowledge. So, define and document what you believe are competencies (Somashekar has mentioned ISO 19011 to help you) and then check if these candidates HAVE the competencies. Decide, if they don't HOW to build competency. Training may be needed...

Last edited:
V

Vinayak Dixit

Thank you all.. it was really helpful,,, :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
K Difference between Internal Auditor and Certified Internal Auditor Internal Auditing 2
G Internal Auditor vs. Lead Auditor courses (IRCA certified) - What are the differences Internal Auditing 17
L ISO 14001 Lead Internal Auditor - Is there a certified training requirement? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
R Should internal auditors be compulsorily certified as internal auditors ? Internal Auditing 11
S Internal Auditors required to be certified to VDA 6.3 by a 3rd party VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 21
Q Internal Laboratories in TS 16949 companies - Certified vs. ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
W Certified/Registered vs. Compliant only - Internal Audit requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Internal Labs - Customer asked why our reliability laboratory isn't 17025 certified ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
V ISO Certified! Now, what do I look for in Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 43
K Should QS/TS certified internal test/calibration labs be required to be ISO17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
V Does an internal calibration laboratory need to be certified on ISO 17025? ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
P QS-9000 Internal Laboratory Requirements - Guide 17025 certified or equivalent ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
J Possible to get ISO 13485 certified with only OEM Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Can we be ISO 9001 certified without a physical office? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F ISO Certified companies - Is there a list of certified companies that I can access ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Can a (class I) medical device be manufactured in a GMP certified site with no ISO13485? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Nicole Desouza The Difference of being AS 9100D Compliant vs.Certified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
K Intended Use-Class I Self Certified - Intended Use and Indications for Use statements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P ASQ Certified Biomedical Auditor (CBA) Certification Preparation 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 3
M Informational From RAPS – Novartis Inhaler is First Device to be Certified Under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Device CE certified under MDD / MDR > new GTIN? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A Does Class 1 Medical Device need to be certified to MDSAP? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
N When is "placing on the market"? MDD certified medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 32
A Changes to an already certified product (IIb, MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.3 - Justification for non-certified suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Is it possible to get iso 13485:2016 certified as a one man band ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Who are the accredited Certified Bodies for CE Mark for Medical Devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
J Can subsidiaries use the holding company's ISO 9001 QMS and be classified as ISO 9001 certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Acquiring an IATF 16949 Certified Company - What happens at the next audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M ISO 80079-34 certified contract manufacturer needed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S Critical supplier - Obligated to have an ISO-certified QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
I Imaging Services - Which standard should we be certified to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
H 8.4.2.4.1 Supplier Audit - Supplier with IATF certified loss IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T From certified QMS to certified integrated MS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C ISO 13485 certified as precursor to regulatory compliance to 21 CRF Part 820? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
shimonv Products certified by one of the less familiar NRTL labs Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Are Medical device Raw material suppliers required to be ISO 13485 certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13