Certified shipment does it mean every part has to be checked 100%?

D

Danny1966

certified shipment

Certified shipment does it mean every part has to be checked 100%?:(

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Danny,

I've never seen this term used -- perhaps you can give us some more info., like what context you have seen it used in, where you have seen it, etc. It might be as simple as a requirement for a Certificate of Compliance with each shipment or it might mean much more. Anyone else familiar with this term?

D

Danny1966

Mike S. said:

Danny,

I've never seen this term used -- perhaps you can give us some more info., like what context you have seen it used in, where you have seen it, etc. It might be as simple as a requirement for a Certificate of Compliance with each shipment or it might mean much more. Anyone else familiar with this term?
We had a rejection from our customer they want for the next 30 days certified product delivered to their facility.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Danny,

I'm not sure I can be of much help, but I'll try. Is that all they said -- was there any verbal or written explanation as to exactly what they mean by "certified product"? If I were in your shoes I would go back to the customer and ask them exactly what they want. Since there has already been one screw-up, you don't want another misunderstanding making you look worse.

If for some reason you cannot or don't want to ask, my interpretation (guess) would be that they want you or someone else in authority at your company to personally vouch for or "certify" that every shipment meets contract requirements. You can do that however you want (100% test, sampling, SPC, etc.) as long as you are satisfied that the shipment meets requirements and you are willing to put your name/reputation on the line, which means you are also putting your company's name on the line more than ever. Be careful, you don't want to blow this one. Use this as an opportunity to implement a good CA to solve the problem permanently if possible. JMO.

Does this help?

N

noboxwine

100% inspect?

I have never seen an industry definition of Certified Shipment. But, my experience is that when you tag materials Certified it is usually for a repeat noncomformance. You need assurance that when you tag the material that it's good. Unless mandated by your customer, you decide what sampling plan is needed to ensure the defect does not get to the customer, again. It may be a MIL-STD plan, c=0, or 100% inspection. Use whatever is best. For the record when I have been in this situation, rarely has anything outside 100% been effective. Hope this helps and don't forget to fix the fundamental defect when the smoke clears.
;)

M

M Greenaway

........and dont forget, Mr Juran tells us that 100% inspection is only 80% effective.

Hope that helps you sleep soundly at night !

If the customer wants you to certify that the product is 100% defect free I would suggest you run a mile.

If they just want you to certify that the product has been manufactured and checked in accordance with your systems procedures then fine do it (this is the sort of meaningless Certificate of Conformance we often see given out).

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
M Greenaway said:

........and dont forget, Mr Juran tells us that 100% inspection is only 80% effective.
Assuming that Mr. Juran was not quoted out of context, despite my great respect for the man I have to say that I think such a blanket statement (again, if not taken out of context) is...misleading and innacurate.

Is 100% inspection 100% accurate 100% of the time? No, of course not, nothing is. But sometimes it is 100% accurate, sometimes more or less than 80% correct. It depends on the situation. But to try to scare people by making a blanket statement such as that is just wrong, IMO.

And, let's remember that the red bead experiment is not analogous to every process with problems! But it is worth thinking about when analyzing process problems.

M

M Greenaway

Well perhaps the aerospace industry understand what juran is talking about. Where they have to assure 100% defect free product they often perform 8 times 100% inspection !!

I am not scaremongering, just trying to help the poster keep out of a potentially devastating product liability case.

And in my opinion the red bead experiment is analagous to any problem. Yes it is simplistic and obvious, but the message is that the problems lie in the system, not the operators (not that if you try to get just white beads from a mixed bowl of white and red you have got no chance).

Cheers

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
M Greenaway said:

And in my opinion the red bead experiment is analagous to any problem. Yes it is simplistic and obvious, but the message is that the problems lie in the system, not the operators (not that if you try to get just white beads from a mixed bowl of white and red you have got no chance).
Cheers
Martin,

Do you really believe that? For "any problem" the system is always at fault? C'mon, gimme a break. If in all your years of experience you never saw a problem that was the operator's fault and not the system IMHO you were looking thru filters in your glasses, because it ain't possible. It just ain't. Not even Deming went that far!

Sorry, but I have a problem with absolutes and the word "always" and its synonyms. In fact, I'd almost go so far as to say something "profound" like "you're always wrong when you say always".
:p

M

M Greenaway

Mike

The system is always to blame in one way or another. People make mistakes, and every problem could be traced to someone making a mistake, however it is the system that allows mistakes to happen. Or in certain cases prevents the processes functioning to required levels.

The only possible exemption form this is if someone willfully neglects to do something, but even then it is part of our system to hire competent people, give them resources, motivate, etc.

If you blame operator error I will guarantee that any action taken on the operator, as opposed to the system, will not result in any improvement of any kind.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
S National registrations for MDR certified devices in absence of EUDAMED EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B Can we be ISO 9001 certified without a physical office? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
JoCam Certified Body Audit of MDR requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
F ISO Certified companies - Is there a list of certified companies that I can access ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Can a (class I) medical device be manufactured in a GMP certified site with no ISO13485? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
bryan willemot Looking for a certified test report for aerospace parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Nicole Desouza The Difference of being AS 9100D Compliant vs.Certified AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
K Intended Use-Class I Self Certified - Intended Use and Indications for Use statements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P ASQ Certified Biomedical Auditor (CBA) Certification Preparation 2019 ASQ - American Society for Quality 3
M Informational From RAPS – Novartis Inhaler is First Device to be Certified Under MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Device CE certified under MDD / MDR > new GTIN? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A Does Class 1 Medical Device need to be certified to MDSAP? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
N When is "placing on the market"? MDD certified medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 32
A Changes to an already certified product (IIb, MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.2.3 - Justification for non-certified suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
M Is it possible to get iso 13485:2016 certified as a one man band ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Who are the accredited Certified Bodies for CE Mark for Medical Devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
J Can subsidiaries use the holding company's ISO 9001 QMS and be classified as ISO 9001 certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Q Does our material suppliers’ supplier have to be at least ISO 9001 certified? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Acquiring an IATF 16949 Certified Company - What happens at the next audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Case study - If the restaurant (ISO 9001:2015 certified) was run by 2 persons covering cooking and purchasing processes (Mother and Father) supported ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M ISO 80079-34 certified contract manufacturer needed Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S Critical supplier - Obligated to have an ISO-certified QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
I Imaging Services - Which standard should we be certified to? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
tony s An organization's Internal Audit Office certified to ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
L Please help me with the process of getting ISO 9001 certified Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 15
C Must your reference standard provider be ISO17034 certified to meet your testing lab's ISO 17025 certification requirements? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
H 8.4.2.4.1 Supplier Audit - Supplier with IATF certified loss IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T From certified QMS to certified integrated MS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
C ISO 13485 certified as precursor to regulatory compliance to 21 CRF Part 820? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
shimonv Products certified by one of the less familiar NRTL labs Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Are Medical device Raw material suppliers required to be ISO 13485 certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
R Medical devices certified by different notified bodies EU Medical Device Regulations 6
L Part 11 Certified to legally binding of hand written signatures Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
D Help identify a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) (UL) certified lab General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F It is required that External labs be also certified to ISO 9001? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 37
L How many of you are Certified to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
P The suspension rule and de-registration rule for a certified organization Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
S GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) - My company is ISMS certified IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
M Thank you, thank you, thank you - we are ISO 9001:2015 certified! Covegratulations 8
C Additional Training for CCT (Certified Calibration Technician) Recertification Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
A Looking to become an IATF 16949:2016 Certified Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S IATF16949:2016 certified without ISO:9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
L Can distilled water be certified as a medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 10
A How to become Certified CVE for Part 21J in Shortest Time EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2