Definition Certified vs. Registered vs. Recommendation - What is the difference?

M

mjflkitty

Hi,

I'm just confuse. I would like to seek some clarifications.

When your certifying Body recommends you for a certification does it mean you are already certified? Because after Stage 2 audit the lead auditor was done with his audit report and the conclusion is we are recommended for a certification and requires us to address minor NC before release the certificate from UKAS.

can we now say that we are certified? or is it under review still with UKAS if our Certifying body recommended us already?

B

Bulksupplier

mjflkitty said:
Hi,

I'm just confuse. I would like to seek some clarifications.

When your certifying Body recommends you for a certification does it mean you are already certified? Because after Stage 2 audit the lead auditor was done with his audit report and the conclusion is we are recommended for a certification and requires us to address minor NC before release the certificate from UKAS.

can we now say that we are certified? or is it under review still with UKAS if our Certifying body recommended us already?
Hello Kitty!
Recommendation means that the lead auditor has submitted an audit report to the certification body technical authority which authorises issue of certificates (certification). The technical authority checks that all the requirements of ISO Guide 62 (EN 45012) have been met before they can authorise the certificate to be issued. There is no problem in nearly all cases, but the certification body (CB) needs to ensure it will pass scrutiny from the accreditation body (eg. UKAS) when they next audit the CB's records.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Bulksupplier said:
Hello Kitty!
Recommendation means that the lead auditor has submitted an audit report to the certification body technical authority which authorises issue of certificates (certification). The technical authority checks that all the requirements of ISO Guide 62 (EN 45012) have been met before they can authorise the certificate to be issued. There is no problem in nearly all cases, but the certification body (CB) needs to ensure it will pass scrutiny from the accreditation body (eg. UKAS) when they next audit the CB's records.

Yeah...what Bulksupplier said... :D

Recommendation = All the paperwork has been submitted to your Certification Body saying that you meet all the requirements.

Certified/Registered = The Certification Body agrees that all is good and right with the world and your paperwork and your system meets all the requirements and that nice piece of paper is issued saying ISO 9001:2000 and you get to throw a party for all your employees for a job well done! :agree1:

J

Joe Cruse

kitty,

do you have a customer asking about your certification status?

We ran in to this when we made the 2000 transition, and our registrar was running late with the certificate. Per their call, we were told to let customers that asked know that we had been audited by the registrar and were found compliant to the standard, awaiting certificate issue. This answered several customers' questions regarding our status, until we got our certificate in hand to fax to those customers.

J

jaimezepeda

I understood certification to mean that you paid all your bills and owed your registrar nothing :D

M

mjflkitty

Certification Status

Joe Cruse said:
kitty,

do you have a customer asking about your certification status?

We ran in to this when we made the 2000 transition, and our registrar was running late with the certificate. Per their call, we were told to let customers that asked know that we had been audited by the registrar and were found compliant to the standard, awaiting certificate issue. This answered several customers' questions regarding our status, until we got our certificate in hand to fax to those customers.

Eventually our customer will ask about the status of our registration. I was just wondering if we can declare that we are certified even though we don't have yet the certificate but we were recommended for certification.

M

mjflkitty

Certification Status

Cari Spears said:
Congratulations, Kitty!! :applause:

Thank you cari,

Thank you for all the reply.

Actually we just passed the Stage 2 Audit of for BS7799. I was just wondering is any other is also certified in BS7799 and at the same time ISO9001.

Thank you

V

vanputten

Fro a United Stats English perspective:

We receive a piece of paper called a certificate when our registrar's recommendation for registration is accepted by the certification body (CB). The people that audit us are called registrars because we get registered to ISO 9001:2000. We do not get certified to ISO 9001:2000. Registrars register. CB's approve the release of a piece of paper called a certificate.

Certification usually implies a level of liability on the certifier. Certifiaction is often associated with a product. Registration in this case means we become another organization that has met the requirements of ISO 9001:2000. Accreditation is yet another term with slightly different meaning.

Basically, certification and registration are so often used to mean the same thing that I beleive they do. These two terms have become intercahngable even though their original meaning was not the same.

Regards, Dirk van Putten

Top Bottom