Certify to new ISO 14001 standard or stay with current standard?

drgnrider

Quite Involved in Discussions
From a post in Elsmar Cove thread:
---------------
Also, it is important to remember that ISO MSS are voluntary standards, an organization may choose to stay with 14001:2004 if it decides this is in its best interest.
What is the status of the next version of ISO 14001? Page 4
---------------

From a Q&A posted on my CBs website:
---------------
Q:Are there any key dates that existing clients will need to meet during the transition period to the new version of ISO 14001?

A:The first of those key dates will apply to [CB] and that will be the date after which we are not allowed to issue any contracts to certify companies against the existing version of ISO 14001.

The other key date will then be the dates by which all clients must have transferred to the new version of the standard.

And the third and final key date will be the date by which all certificates against the existing version of ISO 14001 will have to be withdrawn and are no longer considered valid.
---------------

These two seem to contradict each other. By reading the CBs comments, I must always be upgrading to the current standard. On the other hand, since nobody contradicted the comment when posted on the Cove..... I'm :confused:

Comments?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
These two seem to contradict each other. By reading the CBs comments, I must always be upgrading to the current standard. On the other hand, since nobody contradicted the comment when posted on the Cove..... I'm :confused:

Comments?
No contradiction. Any organization can voluntarily adopt any version of any standard, as they see fit. For example, if an organization wants to adequate their quality management system to ISO 9002:1987 or Mil-I-45208 A, it is their choice.

Accredited certification, on the other hand, has to be done in line with Industry supported protocols. That is why the IAF stipulates transition periods for accredited CB's to migrate the certificates they issue.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
In other words, if you want to stay certified you will need to transition to the latest version.

It is a little bit like buying oats. If you want the finest, you need to pay the price. If you are content with oats that have already been through the horse, they come a lot cheaper.

What level of quality management system do you want?

drgnrider

No contradiction. Any organization can voluntarily adopt any version of any standard, as they see fit. For example, if an organization wants to adequate their quality management system to ISO 9002:1987 or Mil-I-45208 A, it is their choice.
Basically, it all comes down to: if I want "accredited certification" I have to be on the current standard, otherwise I "self-certify".

:thanx:

TPMB4

If I follow the history and progression of management standards they go through a kind of cycle. One big change, such as ISO9001:2000 or the latest 2015 version, then a change to clarify terms or minor issues that doesn't really affect most organization's management system then back to a big change again.

I have a question. If the existing standard version, say ISO 9001:2008, meets your organization's needs why can't you get it certified even after the transition? Most CB auditors are experienced in standards and have worked to more than one issue of these standards. I am sure our usual auditor has been around from the ISO9001:1994 (I think) version. It can't be too hard for them to meet their customer's requirements and not that of the ISO. Although I guess it is like Apple's mobile phones, there is very little customer movement from iPhone 5 to iPhone 3 it is all one way demand.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
If I follow the history and progression of management standards they go through a kind of cycle. One big change, such as ISO9001:2000 or the latest 2015 version, then a change to clarify terms or minor issues that doesn't really affect most organization's management system then back to a big change again.

I have a question. If the existing standard version, say ISO 9001:2008, meets your organization's needs why can't you get it certified even after the transition? Most CB auditors are experienced in standards and have worked to more than one issue of these standards. I am sure our usual auditor has been around from the ISO9001:1994 (I think) version. It can't be too hard for them to meet their customer's requirements and not that of the ISO. Although I guess it is like Apple's mobile phones, there is very little customer movement from iPhone 5 to iPhone 3 it is all one way demand.
Once it is obsolete, there is no longer the means to get certified to it. CBs no longer have the authority to do so.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I have a question. If the existing standard version, say ISO 9001:2008, meets your organization's needs why can't you get it certified even after the transition?
But you can... as long as it is not under an IAF accreditation scheme. During the migration from ISO 9001:1994 to ISO 9001:2000, there was a little "revolt" by many registrants that threatened NOT to make the transition and let their certification lapse.

Some (accredited) CB's offered non-accredited certification to ISO 9001:1994, even after the 2003 mandatory deadline. If something similar happens in the next transition cycle, I can guarantee to you that pseudo-accredited CB's, unaccredited CB's and even duly accredited CB's might offer "continued" certification to ISO 9001:2008.

Sometimes, past behavior and results is an indication of future performance....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
I have a question. If the existing standard version, say ISO 9001:2008, meets your organization's needs why can't you get it certified even after the transition?
Probably because (in the eyes of ISO governing bodies) it is backwards thinking. Their focus is likely not on whether a standard meets an organization's needs, but whether all applicable organizations are capable of meeting the standard's needs. Allowing a select group of organizations to cherry-pick the level of standardization they're most comfortable with (by certifying to whatever version of a standard) not only undermines the authority of the governing bodies, but also puts those organizations in the peculiar position of not supporting the ever-broadening concept of improvement, which is the fundamental reason why standards are updated.

These organizations usually fail to realize two important things: 1) that implementing the updated versions usually offer the most pathways to real benefits, and 2) that when standards are updated, they are generally in the form of improvements.

Brian :rolleyes:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B ISO 13485 certification advantages when I certify a Class 2a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
A Looking to certify to ISO 9001 - Any advice? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
L In which country do I certify my company? (ISO 13485) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
M Do I need to certify to ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q ISO 9001 Standard: Useful to Certify a Soccer Club? Examples... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
S Can we use ISO 9004 to certify? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
E Correct way to certify hydrostatic testing when it is not 100% (and Sample Size) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
Ed Panek Part 11 Self Certify Memo - What else should it cover? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
S EU conformity assessment - Certify to MDD or MDR? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M CE self-certify, or needs testing by 3rd party? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
B How to certify a Class IIa Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Timing to certify new plant to IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Do I need to certify to AS9100 or AS9120? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
F Can a certified welder certify other welders? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
H Who can certify compliance to IEC62304 of my Medical Device? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
S Does NIST Certify Calibration Laboratories? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B CB Certify OHSAS 18001:2007 without AB - Why CB no need AB? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Does UL certify manufacturers of storage tanks? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
P CBs are not permitted to certify to AS9100 Rev C until 2011? True or False? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
E How long does it take to certify a scope extension? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
somashekar Factory Inspection to Register and Certify a Medical Device in Brazil Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 35
S Good Tissue Practice (GTP) - Certification Bodies which are qualified to Certify it. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
H Creating a Sub Company to Certify One Product Line ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
H Is it possible to only certify manufacturing when we do everything else too? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Conventional Mass vs. Nominal Mass - Certify the in-house balances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
J Aftermarket - OEM - OES - Certify to TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D 17025 - I am looking for someone to come in and certify our laboratory equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
D Certification of Suppliers- a requirement or semantics??? comply, certify Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
M We have to have a written request from an automotive customer requiring us to certify IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Can a trained person in our lab "certify" a piece of steel gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Comparison wanted: ISO 15378:2018 vs. PS9000:2016 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
B ISO 9001 - "Remote Audit Fee" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Risk control measures as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
John C. Abnet ISO 45001:2018 (5.4 - Consultation and participation of workers) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 9
Sidney Vianna What ISO Standard (under the TC 176) supports the UN Sustainable Development Goal #10? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 11
S ISO 15223-1:2020 Symbols Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
John C. Abnet ISO 9001 4.4.1 "...shall determine the processes needed..." ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 69
R ISO 10993-18 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
J Can signed agreements over-ride review of every "contract" under ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Applicable ISO standards - packaging and others Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
J Implementing an ISO 13485 QMS Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q EN ISO 13485:2016/AC:2018 - AC:2018 being stated in the applicable harmonized standard listing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M ISO 10993-17 - Ancillary Medicinal substance leachables Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Medical Devices - Ancillary - ISO 10993-17 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J Leveraging another company's ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J New Job Position - Achieving ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.2.3 - Review of the requirements for products and services in a Cafe ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
A ISO 17025 - Methods validation and clients ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
A Scope of ISO 13485 certificate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1