SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Certifying Gage Blocks on an In-House CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine)

qcman

Registered Visitor
Has anyone certified gage blocks on their in house cmm and if so can you use the print out as the certification paper?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

Ederie - 2007

The CMM probably does not have the accuracy of measurement needed for a gage block.

Has anyone certified gage blocks on their in house cmm and if so can you use the print out as the certification paper?
I have never heard of anyone doing that, but if the CMM is accurate enough (which I doubt) I suppose you could. Usually, though, it is the other way around: Using gage blocks to calibrate the CMM.

/Claes

qcman

Registered Visitor
Cmm is calibrated by outside service so it can be traced to nist. I just looked at the cert for gage blocks (outside service) and they check to within 10 microinches but our cmm is only capable of 100 microinches. Now I am on a tangent but if our tightest customer tolerance is .001 would it be acceptable under iso to cert to 100 microinches ?

C

Crash Not

I calibrate our gage blocks in house, but not w/ the CMM. I use a Southern Gage Die-lectron as we feel that the CMM is not accurate enough. The gage blocks are checked to a ceramic master set that is traceable to NIST.

Now I am on a tangent but if our tightest customer tolerance is .001 would it be acceptable under iso to cert to 100 microinches ?
Honestly, I don't think that would be a very good idea. Imagine the combined uncertanity in a block combination, for one thing.

I calibrate our gage blocks in house, but not w/ the CMM. I use a Southern Gage Die-lectron as we feel that the CMM is not accurate enough. The gage blocks are checked to a ceramic master set that is traceable to NIST.
Which sounds like a much better idea.

/Claes

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Cmm is calibrated by outside service so it can be traced to nist. I just looked at the cert for gage blocks (outside service) and they check to within 10 microinches but our cmm is only capable of 100 microinches. Now I am on a tangent but if our tightest customer tolerance is .001 would it be acceptable under iso to cert to 100 microinches ?
In general, I would agree with the others. One quick question:

Is your tightest tolerance required +/-.001 inch?

What class are your gauge blocks? Class 1? Class 0?

The CMM has resolution to 100 microinches? Is that correct?

If you CMM is calibrated by outside services, why were you considering verifying the CMM with the gauge blocks?

The length is only one aspect of a jo block to be checking. You also need to know its geometry like end squareness, flatness etc. It's going to be very difficult to do that just on a cmm. Without knowing the end geometry, the length isn't much use to you.

Why are you contemplating such a thing? Cost reduction from sending them outside for cal?

Andy

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M ASPICE Certification - Certifying bodies available in India IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
D Certifying a "virtual" company with zero employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C TL-9000 Certifying Body Issue - Auditor failed to find an issue for 10 years TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 16
S EASA Part 145 - The difference between non-certifying staff and Certifying staff Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
O Hardness Testing and Certifying Product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A Certifying Structural Weldments ROPS Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
D Certifying a New Manufacturing Only Site IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Certifying a company with two employees to ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Quality Assurance Stamps and Supplies for Certifying Product Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
P Merging 2 sites into 1 new site and certifying product AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Certifying Staff Training in a Part 21/145 organisation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B Certifying our house for Hardness and Conductivity Testing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
M Certification Body in South Africa with experience certifying medical labs Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
J Possibility of certifying to IMS (ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & OHSAS 18001) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
N Reputations of ISO 9001 Certifying Bodies (Registrars) - SGS, AJA, BVQI, SAI Global Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
K Certifying Existing Hardness Tester Indenters / Penetrators General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
F Certifying for Calibrations of Network Analyzers - Looking for classes/training General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
W Certifying a PDA as a medical device - (FDA/CE) - For use in the operating room ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K Compelling reasons for a certifying agency to withdraw a ISO certificate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
B How many approved certifying (registration) bodys are there in the UK? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
B Certifying A Seltered Company QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
M Calibration Procedures for checking and certifying micrometers and calipers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T What is the best procedure for calibrating / certifying our Calipers? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Marc Certifying Internal Auditors - Unneccessary, Unwanted RAB Intervention ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
Q Gage calibration / tracking software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
A R chart from ANOVA gage R&R test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
M Type 1 Gage r study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Plug Gage Calibration Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
L Gage R&R TMV Acceptance Criteria Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S MSA for attribute relation gage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Zero part to part variation - Gage R&R project Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
M Gage R&R and right way to measure Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
L Gage RandR on automated equipment. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Gage calibration frequency, ISO and IATF - What are the requirements Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
D Difference between Test Method Validation and Gage R&R Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 18
R Determining Uncertainty from Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Correct Calibration Method for Dial Depth Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
C Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0